2006/07 NBA Thread

JStarr

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ultimately that doesn't matter. Someone will take Randolph and as stated their only reservation would likely be that it'll make Portland a juggernaut, hence why I see an eastern conference team taking him and hoping they can use him to help them squeak out a title before Portland becomes a dynasty

The way you're talking, Portland has suddenly become the most feared team in the league. They have a good, all around two guard who I don't necessarily see as a go to guy so much as a very steady, very dependable player. You've got an athletic forward who hasn't developed a strong enough post game yet. And you've got, if they draft him, a rookie center who will in all liklihood develop into a monster of a defensive center but still only be in that above average range offensively. There's no go to guy, there's no definitive team leader, there's no playmaker, and there's not a lot of depth. All these things could get addressed, but until they do, I'd stop with all the "Teams are scared, Portland's gonna be a dynasty" talk. I do, however, think if you leave Jack at point and let Webster try and play the three, they could be a young exciting team and start to get things turned around.

Cavs fans can't complain at all about not getting calls. You have LeBron, so in pretty much any game you guys can get the benefit of the doubt. Still, I feel your pain with the officials, the Pistons get away with murder.

Ultimately that doesn't matter. Someone will take Randolph and as stated their only reservation would likely be that it'll make Portland a juggernaut, hence why I see an eastern conference team taking him and hoping they can use him to help them squeak out a title before Portland becomes a dynasty

The way you're talking, Portland has suddenly become the most feared team in the league. They have a good, all around two guard who I don't necessarily see as a go to guy so much as a very steady, very dependable player. You've got an athletic forward who hasn't developed a strong enough post game yet. And you've got, if they draft him, a rookie center who will in all liklihood develop into a monster of a defensive center but still only be in that above average range offensively. There's no go to guy, there's no definitive team leader, there's no playmaker, and there's not a lot of depth. All these things could get addressed, but until they do, I'd stop with all the "Teams are scared, Portland's gonna be a dynasty" talk. I do, however, think if you leave Jack at point and let Webster try and play the three, they could be a young exciting team and start to get things turned around.

It's unfair to Oden to say he'll only become an above average offensive weapon in the league. How many of the great centers have shown any polish or an equal amount of dominance in which they had in the pros in college, especially in their freshman year? Hakeem didn't, Ewing didn't. Shaq didn't, at least not in his freshman year. (But Shaq never had to develop any real polish on his game, considering he probably has the most overwhelming physical attritibutes of any player ever in the NBA). Robinson is in the same boat as Shaq regarding his freshman year.

Oden, to be blunt, has never had to develop any form of his offensive abilities. Throughout his entire life, he's just been so fucking big that all he had to do was dunk, as is the case of most center prospects of Oden's ability. He showed the potential in his game with Florida to be an incredibly dominant center on both the offensive and defensive sides, especially considering the pussification of the current NBA big man.

You mention the Florida game as the best example of a dominant performance, but they lost and to me, that means he wasn't all that dominant.

If you really think he's going to be a top offensive player in the league, that's fine, but I'm just not seeing the reasoning. Because other centers weren't polished, it's too early to close the book on him? That's fair and I'm not closin the book, I'm just saying that as of right now, I don't see it happening.

You mention the Florida game as the best example of a dominant performance, but they lost and to me, that means he wasn't all that dominant.

If you really think he's going to be a top offensive player in the league, that's fine, but I'm just not seeing the reasoning. Because other centers weren't polished, it's too early to close the book on him? That's fair and I'm not closin the book, I'm just saying that as of right now, I don't see it happening.

Edited by Javs

It's unfair to Oden to say he'll only become an above average offensive weapon in the league. How many of the great centers have shown any polish or an equal amount of dominance in which they had in the pros in college, especially in their freshman year? Hakeem didn't, Ewing didn't. Shaq didn't, at least not in his freshman year. (But Shaq never had to develop any real polish on his game, considering he probably has the most overwhelming physical attritibutes of any player ever in the NBA). Robinson is in the same boat as Shaq regarding his freshman year.

Oden, to be blunt, has never had to develop any form of his offensive abilities. Throughout his entire life, he's just been so fucking big that all he had to do was dunk, as is the case of most center prospects of Oden's ability. He showed the potential in his game with Florida to be an incredibly dominant center on both the offensive and defensive sides, especially considering the pussification of the current NBA big man.

I don't define players by stats. Averaging 24 points a game for most players would mean they're good offensive players. For others, they may just fit the system right. I don't consider Karl Malone a great offensive player and look at where he's at in the record books. But it generally came on 6 pick and rolls followed by 12 free throws. Solid, steady, above average.

I'll give in on the "scoring a lot but losing" debate because it's really just my opinion. If I see a guy score fifty and his team loses, to me, he didn't dominate the game, he just scored a lot. To dominate is to outdo your opponent completely: score more, put them in foul trouble, create for your teammates....win the game. And I don't think I ever saw Oden actually dominate a game.

And I know Oden's young and I think he's got a great future, but his main focus and best attributes are defensive, not offensive. That's all I was saying.

I also haven't seen LeBron attack as much as Wade, nor do I think that James is as quick off the dribble or as good of a penetrator. Also, while I think a bunch of the calls were crap, it isn't Wade's fault they were giving him the calls. If LeBron had the reputation as someone who penetrates and draws the foul rather then a guy who would rather finish a break or shoot a jump shot, he'd get more calls.

Also, I couldn't find the box scores to last year's playoffs, but I don't think Wade was shooting 28 free throws a game. Link?

The refs so far in the series have not called many touch fouls at all and that is defiantly in favor of the Pistons because they are a more physical team. I am not saying that they are calling the games unfairly, they are just letting alot of things go on both ends of the floor. If the Pistons play the same way that they did at home against the Cavs I could easily see the Cavs even up the series, not saying that it is likely but I wouldnt say it is impossible.

Yeah, that's how they were for the Bulls. The Cavaliers need to make the adjustments and either run a lot more and try to get the players that are on the wrong end of a 2 or 3-on-1 picking up fouls. The Pistons are going to be the best team at least 4 out of the 7 games, so to beat them the Cavs need to disrupt their flow.

Why is everyone suddenly saying Portland needs a superstar to survive? I'm fairly sure an above average group of guys who all grow as players and learn to play with each other will have just as much of a chance as any team with a superstar on it. Its a team game, Portland is putting together what will eventually be one of the best teams in the leauge

That's the argument for them to take Durant, that they'd need a superstar before they need another big man. Most people saying that are thinking Aldridge/Randolph will be the front court with Durant/Roy/Jack will be the back court. I still prefer the idea of having an Oden/Aldridge front court for years to come and just get a solid young wing-man in free agency, like maybe a Gerald Wallace?

And it looks like Seattle may have a spot free for Mr. Durant.

From Yahoo:

SEATTLE (AP) -- Rashard Lewis' promise became reality.

Lewis' agent said Friday night that the SuperSonics' longest-tenured player and second-leading scorer had officially opted out of the final two years of his Seattle contract. That makes him eligible for free agency beginning on July 1, but doesn't necessarily end his career with the Sonics.

"It gives him options. And this is what free agency is for," agent Tony Dutt said in Houston, after officially informing the Sonics in writing what Lewis had promised before the end of the just-completed season.

The Sonics have one advantage over the rest of the NBA with Lewis now in free agency: They are the only team who can offer him a six-year contract.

"It was in his contract that he could become a free agent. And you can't blame him for wanting to see what's out there," Sonics president of basketball operations Lenny Wilkens said last month. "But that won't stop us from trying to get it done."

When asked if he has been negotiating with the Sonics, despite Seattle not having a general manager or a coach right now, Dutt said, "We've been in contact (with Wilkens). We'll probably stay in contact on and off until July 1."

Lewis, who turns 28 in August, left $21 million behind in his Sonics contract. He is considered to be one of the NBA's most attractive free agent this summer. The market will include Chauncey Billups, Gerald Wallace and possibly Vince Carter -- if Carter does what Lewis did and opts of out his contract with the New Jersey Nets.

"I'm excited about where I stand in the NBA," Lewis said last month, immediately after his ninth season in Seattle ended in a 31-51 mess.

Lewis could get offers of five years for perhaps $15 million per year, after averaging 22.4 points last season despite a hand injury that caused him to miss 22 games. Yet he said he will give Seattle first opportunity to give him a sweet deal.

"Oh, yeah. I've been here since the team drafted me (in 1998). They have faith in me," Lewis said last month.

"My heart will always be here -- even if I play somewhere else."

The 2005 All-Star returned from his six-week absence last season to lead the team while All-Star shooter Ray Allen was injured.

"He's earned that right to be at the top of the market," Dutt said. "I think teams will move pretty quickly to sign him (after July 1). He is about the top free agent out there."

See, my entire theory was that Portland could go either way with No. 1, while Seattle would have much preferred Oden. They've been drafting big the last three years, and Sene, Swift, and Petro did a lot of not much, so they'd love a shot at a more polished guy like Oden. And there would have been a little overlap in my mind between Lewis and Durant. Now, that may not be such a problem.

Gerald Wallace in Portland would be a tremendous fit, too.

I agree, the Pistons lethargic attitude is really hurting them right now. It seems to me that they had every opportunity to win yesterdays game, but squandered it on missing jump shots and bonehead turnovers. The Pistons can be a really fucking frustrating team to watch, especially when you know what they can be capable of.

And make no mistake, the Cavs deserved to win. Lebron is great, plain and simple. The guy is a superstar, and impresses me not only with his scoring, but his high numbers in rebounding and assists. I think once Cleveland adds a real piece to that puzzle they have, they will be riding high for years. Still, I don't think this year is the year for them, but I believe it'll be soon. I was also impressed with Daniel Gibson, he looks like he has a bright future in the league.