Worst Red Hot Chili Pepper Album?

Face Turn!~

I got into a debate today with some sheep of a teenager who claimed to be the biggest fan of the band Red Hot Chili Peppers. So, in a reasonable discussion i asked him what his favourite album was, and to no suprise he spouted 'Stadium Arcadium', while i said my favourite was Mother's Milk. He then tried to convince me that i was not a fan of the band because i prefered the earlier, funkier stuff and that wasn't the Chili's style. I then laughed at the scene individual, seeing as Stadium Arcadium is pretty much the first album since Frusciante's return that has dabbled back into the Funk business somewhat.

Anywho, to make this topic worthwhile, what would be your least favourite Chili's Album?

Mine would have to be By The Way. Don't get me wrong, theres some good songs on that track, and while i appreciate and like the sound that the band were producing, i still find the more energetic albums more entertaining.

Their original album, simply horrible to be honest, although judging from Anthony's autobiography, that was caused by conflict between band members and company executives.

See, that is an answer normally given, but i strangely like that album. I can tell why people don't like it, the production is pretty horrible, and the bass overpowers the guitar on most the songs, but i suppose being a bass player probably makes me appreciate that.

Every song is hit or miss completely for me (more misses than hits easy) on that album, and to me that does not a good album make.

Edited by Guns 'N' Benji

So fucking what if "Stadium Arcadium" is his favourite album. There's plenty of bands where I don't like the 'old sound' but like the 'new sound'. Just because he doesn't like the old Chilli's sound, doesn't make him any less of a Chilli's fan than you are, or a 'scenester'.

But then again;

He then tried to convince me that i was not a fan of the band because i prefered the earlier
Edited by Steve Mandela

So fucking what if "Stadium Arcadium" is his favourite album. There's plenty of bands where I don't like the 'old sound' but like the 'new sound'. Just because he doesn't like the old Chilli's sound, doesn't make him any less of a Chilli's fan than you are, or a 'scenester'.

But then again;

He then tried to convince me that i was not a fan of the band because i prefered the earlier

He's a dickhead. :shifty:

But then again, that's seemingly the point you're trying to make too, that he's not a real fan/a scenester because he's not into the older stuff. Or that's what I seem to be getting from here. Maybe I'm reading it wrong though.

Edited by Face Turn!~

I consider myself a Chili's fan, but the only albums I have listened to/owned are Californication, By The Way, Stadium Arcadium, Blood Sugar Sex Majik, and their countless Greatest Hits releases. I don't exactly go around calling myself their biggest know-all fan, but I like to think I'm a fan to a certain extent, does that make a scenekid by your logic?

Not that I'm trying to rag on said logic, but I want to know if you'd consider me in that same category.

No because you're not trying to tell me that Funk isn't their style whilst claiming that Moderate Funk album is your favourite one. Besides, you said it yourself, you know you're not claiming to be the Biggest Fan and that you know all, and its those people i have the issues with.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that they are a funk band. Lots of their early stuff was funk, and it sems like their 'funk' songs are the ones I like more, but they've grown a lot since then and have become more of the mainstream alternative rock that you see. Yes their early stuff was funk and I've loved the Peppers since BSSM, which just so happens to be my favorite cd from them, but now they are a lot more than a funk band, but if you said that they flat out don't have the funk stuff anymore then you're absurd because there are still tracks on Stadium Arcadium where that is shown.

All of them since Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Since BSSM, they've lost the funk. Yes, they've gotten some of it back on Stadium Arcadium, which I think is their best album since BSSM, but it still seems bland, tepid, and boring to me compared to their earlier work. BSSM, Mother's Milk(especially mother's milk), and Uplift Mofo Party Plan contain some of the best, most unique music I've ever heard, and I think it's a shame that more bands weren't inspired by, nor have tried to emulate, their older work.

I haven't heard their first album, so I can't comment on that. I'm thinking now I should Legally Acquire it.

By the way was horribly boring, I thought. Stadium Arcadium wasn't awful, but two CD's? My god, I could hardly handle listening to half of the first one all the way through. It's not awful, though.

Edited by Blink

Trying not to feel dirty by spouting a Kerrang! review, but IMO "RHCP went from a poor funk band to a pretty good rock band". I just can't stand there old stuff. BSSM is their pinnacle, though I do think they went downhill from Californication onwards (I like Californication, BTW is ok, and Stadium Arcadium I can really give or take).

I just prefer them as a bland (to some) rock band than a naff funk band, I guess.