I'm a pretentious indiemo elitist dickhead

probablyoliver

No matter wherever I go, there's never a happy medium; it's always either full of Bright Eyes fans, or not enough. Now I know Grifter likes them, and I'm sure there's a couple more, so I thought I'd start a thread to have a little Bright Eyes love-in, to talk about the new album, and the old albums, and everything in between like the elitist cunts who think they're better than everyone because instead of calling them 'Bright Eyes' they call them 'Conor' or something.

It looks to be a pretty big year for Bright Eyes next year. EP out in December, and the new albums got about 30 tracks recorded and there are even a few more recording sessions in the pipeline, so we could have 2 or 3 albums next year. Which if last year's efforts are anything to go by is great news, as they just seem to be going from strength to strength (In my eyes they'll never beat Lifted..., but Digital Ash... and I'm Wide Awake... were both stunning!).

So what's everyone's favourite Bright Eyes album/song?

Come on, let's spread the lurve!

"First Day Of My Life", "Lover I Don't Have To Love", and "It's Okay, We Can Still Be Friends" are thoroughly wonderful songs, as I'm sure I have told you before, Monsieur Beak.

I'm not a big fan or anything, but those songs make them worthy of love anyway.

I've never actually went and got any Bright Eyes material to listen to, but I've always heard great things. All my friends and people I meet who are into the kind of music I am tell me to check em out. How many albums have these guys have and what's their newest? Also if you guys could recommend some of their older stuff for me to listen to that'd be cool.

They're alright. Very hit and miss though. Some songs are great, but others seem borderline filler from what I've heard. I love "The Calender Hung Itself" and "First Day Of My Life", definately my favourite tracks from them.

I've never actually went and got any Bright Eyes material to listen to, but I've always heard great things. All my friends and people I meet who are into the kind of music I am tell me to check em out. How many albums have these guys have and what's their newest? Also if you guys could recommend some of their older stuff for me to listen to that'd be cool.

For a first time listen I'd suggest the two latest 'proper' albums (that is, not the live or b-sides albums that have recently been released), 'I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning' and 'Digital Ash in a Digital Urn', I wouldn't say they are the best Bright Eyes albums, not by a long shot, but they are the most accesible, they don't jump from genre to genre (even though as seperate albums they are worlds apart), and would give you a feel for both sides of the Bright Eyes spectrum.

'I'm Wide Awake...' is very folk based, a lot of acoustic guitars and strings with more emphasis on the lyrics than the music. On a whole it's quite upbeat, with a lot of songs about new found love and adventuring. If you're not going to get the album, and would rather just a few song recommendations, I'd say you'd be best off with 'Road to Joy', 'First Day of my Life' and 'At the Bottom of Everything'.

'Digital Ash...' is very electronic, with more of a full band sound, and lots of spacey post-production gone into it. A lot of people prefer 'I'm Wide Awake' out of the two (they were released at the same time), but I've always preferred the more electronic stuff. I'd recommend 'Take it Easy (Love Nothing)', 'I Believe in Symmetry', 'Ship in a Bottle' and 'Easy/Lucky/Free'

If you check out the Myspace page; here, you've got a song from both 'Digital Ash' [Gold Mine Gutted] and 'I'm Wide Awake' [Lua] as well as one of my favourite Bright Eyes non-album tracks [Going for the Gold], so that'll give you a little taster of what it's all about.