The O.C. - Season 4

Mike Ockizitchy

So yesterday I hop onto myspace and on my bulletin is an offering to see the first episode. So, of course I watch it. Now I'm not going to spoil it for anyone else but I will say it was good. From all the criticism it's been under for the past summer, not knowing if it will survive, I think this episode will help lead them back in the right direction. In the episode they pretty much answer what's been going on since graduation and the death and so on. Based on this episode I'm looking forward to the rest. It's no secret the show hasn't been the same but I think it should survive this season.

So has anyone else seen this yet? If so, what do ya think?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was the best episode since "The Rainy Day Women", and the funniest since the first season. The important thing to note about this episode is that it touched on Seth, Ryan, Summer, Taylor, Julie and Kaitlin, and all of them now have character direction. The show has more ahead of it than any period since the beginning, and one can only conclude that killing off Marissa, as I believe I had predicted, was the best thing they could possibly have done. It was a great episode, and hopefully it leads to a great season. With the timeslot competition they have, they're gonna need it.

Series 2/3 were utter shite...for the most part. I quite liked little bits of series 2, with the comic book stuff, Seth's breakdown and the lesbianisms. :shifty: But I stopped watching towards the end. Just like I pretty much stopped watching Series 3 after like 2 episodes. For some reason I caught the whole Seth getting stoned episodes though. I've found myself watching a fair bit of season 1 at the minute, the ending is such a great way to end. Though I wish they'd stop using fucking "Hallelujah" for everything.

And I haven't seen the episode yet.

Edited by Steve Mandela

They do overuse "Halleujah" but I like it so I don't mind it. To me the fact the rest of the songs they usually use are good so it makes up for it. Definetly thought Seth becoming a stoner was one of the highlights of season 3. When Ryan caught him smoking it was hilarious. The thing is in that episode, if anyone notices he has like 2-3 joints when Sandy offers for him to come to breakfast, then he clips one when Ryan finds him at 330(I think Ryan says). Seems like a long time to puff a couple of joints. I find myself going back and watching the past seasons when the new ones start up again. Yet to get 3 though yet.

I saw this tonight, and erm...WOW!!! Fucking awesome. One of the best OC episodes in like...forever. Great script. Going into a darker direction, which is really something I hoped The OC would do for a while, granted it's always been a little 'grim' in places, but it'd always felt forced, but this felt awesome.

With everyone dealing with grief in their own way. Julie doing manual jobs. Ryan getting his ass kicked. Summer reinventing herself, and the awkwardness with Seth, and not wanting to go to her house/not being able to stay in her house...great stuff.

The stuff with Ryan seemed a little cheesy, the stuff at the end with him winning the fight and all, but it's The OC, it's meant to be like that. One of the best OC's I remember in a long, long time.

Plus the cover of "Running Up That Hill" by Placebo is the best music choice ever on The OC. The soundtracks are normally great, but that song fitted so well. And really helped set the whole atmosphere.

Kaitlin's boots were HAWT!! :pervert:

I know Kaitlin and Marissa weren't that close, and 5 months has went by, but Kaitlin didn't care that her sister was dead. Yeah, she's a total bitch, and they weren't that close, so I guess they'll get away with it.

Same with Seth. I know Seth and Marissa again not really the closest of friends, but they were dating each others respective best friends, surely the death must have meant somethign to Seth. But then again, he's tied up in his own world, which revolves solely around him, so yeah, again, you can probably get away with it. What about Taylor? I admit to not watching much/about 3 episodes of Season 3, and I know they hated each other at one point, but it's The OC, nobody can hate someone for more than 10 episodes; Luke, Zach...etc.

Finally some kids have acknowledged Kirsten being a MILF. FINALLY!!!!

I miss Luke. The penultamate two Oliver episodes he was hilarious. Why does one of his brothers look like he's in Coheed & Cambria?

Yeah, pretty good.

Anna is clearly going to appear in season 4, although I doubt as a regular. They set it up as her being a schoolmate of Summer's, so they're bound to bump into one another sooner or later. They better find someone awesome for Taylor to pass the time with though.

Okay, so after the ratings disaster that was last Thursday, FOX has pulled "Happy Hour", as well as Wednesday's ratings disaster "The Rich List". As a result, there will be two new episodes of "The O.C." this week, with one airing Wednesday at 9 and the other Thursdays at 9. At least "Bones" is a somewhat capable lead in, and an easier timeslot. The ratings Thursday however should probably be down, with nothing new in the lead in spot and only a rerun of "'Til Death". I'm hoping that this special Wednesday airing might be a sign of the network being willing to give the show another timeslot, because any FOX show outside of 24, House or American Idol is going to be dead on arrival on Thursdays. Unless they've got the balls to send one of those shows into the slot, they should probably just air a movie or something.

Okay, so after the ratings disaster that was last Thursday, FOX has pulled "Happy Hour", as well as Wednesday's ratings disaster "The Rich List". As a result, there will be two new episodes of "The O.C." this week, with one airing Wednesday at 9 and the other Thursdays at 9. At least "Bones" is a somewhat capable lead in, and an easier timeslot. The ratings Thursday however should probably be down, with nothing new in the lead in spot and only a rerun of "'Til Death". I'm hoping that this special Wednesday airing might be a sign of the network being willing to give the show another timeslot, because any FOX show outside of 24, House or American Idol is going to be dead on arrival on Thursdays. Unless they've got the balls to send one of those shows into the slot, they should probably just air a movie or something.

actually, for this week it's a death time slot up against Lost and Criminal Minds, both of which dominate at that hour. However in two weeks time, when Lost begins it's epic hiatus, Fox might do well to try moving the show to this timeslot. It has a whole different audience base than CM, and it might actually work.

actually, for this week it's a death time slot up against Lost and Criminal Minds, both of which dominate at that hour. However in two weeks time, when Lost begins it's epic hiatus, Fox might do well to try moving the show to this timeslot. It has a whole different audience base than CM, and it might actually work.

Last night's episode was pure awesome. More Taylor, more Che mocking, more awesome. No Ryan fighting in a cage moments or anything, but it looks like tonight will probably bring that.

And finally, new episodes of "Bones" (households: 4.8/7, #9; adults 18-49: 2.8, #9) and "The O.C." (households: 2.5/4, #12; adults 18-49: 1.6, #12) on FOX (households: 3.6/5, #4; adults 18-49: 2.2, #4)

Alright, I think this makes it official that Marissa held the show down big time as Wednesday's episode was great. Even better than last weeks. Taylor talking to the Mexician guy who picked up Seth's phone and actually having a conversation about the guy and his girlfriend having problems was awesome. She was the best part of the show. Great stuff from her this week with her interaction with Summer and Summer's slutty roommate.

Another part that was funny was one of Luke's brothers shaving their other brothers chest while Marissa's sister looks on (I am forgetting her name right now) and says that gay dad beats slutty mom.

I liked how it was Seth who went into Volcheck's room and not Ryan and how he actually would get his dad to help Volcheck out. And Sandy figuring out it was Julie who sent Ryan to Mexico was good stuff too.

Thursday's episode was alright. Some funny parts with again having Taylor be the best part of the show with her interaction with Kirsten in the kitchen. Seth asking the homeless guys if they ever seen Battlestar Galatica only to have one say "I missed the season finale" was funny, as well. Good ending with Ryan not going through with killing Volcheck, Volchecking wanting to die, and him getting arrested. The homeless man calling Sandy "crazy eyebrow guy" was also good as was the stuff with Julie and Ryan.