The O.C. - Season 4

Mike Ockizitchy

I'm with Fitzy, great, great stuff. I would have liked them to have at least concentrated more on the Julie/Summer interraction on Episode 3, but too much may have been overkill, so it's good.

They've actually learnt how to introduce new characters, to transition them slowly, and often make them the butt of jokes. Thrusting people into major roles isn't good. The only person who had a 'fast' introduction and is awesome is Taylor. I still can't stand Kaitlin.

All in all. Touching and funny. The best OC I've seen since Season 1.

Episode 3 has also lead me into a great love of "Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly".

Edited by Steve Mandela

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to think that the show might actually be stronger now than in season 1. You drop the albatross character Marissa, tone the comedy-drama ratio and transition out of the generic high school rebeliousness and that forces the writers to get their shit together. Plus Melinda Clarke has really been astonishing thus far, Taylor is such an awesome character and Rachel Bilson is such a better lead than Mischa Barton. 3 for 3 this year, and hopefully the ratings will get better. I'd like to see them make the move to Wednesdays and see how it does on a week that they don't make the episode available in advance.

Now even Sandy is awesome. The show is starting to gain momentum; each episode since the pilot has seen a rise in the ratings, and although they're still low, a show gaining viewers as opposed to losing them says something about quality.

Now even Sandy is awesome. The show is starting to gain momentum; each episode since the pilot has seen a rise in the ratings, and although they're still low, a show gaining viewers as opposed to losing them says something about quality.

Just now? Sandy's been one of the best things about the show since the start.

Saw episode 4 today, pretty good, pretty good. Some nice humour in there. Taylor is absolutely immense though. Probably the best 'new' character they've ever introduced. There was also very little Kaitlin which is always good.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay that was fucking awesome, one of the best "O.C." episodes yet. Ryan's Taylor obsession, Che chaining himself to Summer, Seth tracking Che down, Bullet... all awesome. I really hope next week's episode isn't the "It's A Wonderful Life" knock off they seemed to indicate it would be in the preview. I've already seen one bad version of that this week, and no one is going to touch when "Popular" did it anyway.

This season keeps getting better and better with each episode. Bullet is one of the best new characters they have created. So funny. And Seth fighting for the honor of Summer against Che was also great. And Ryan being obsessed with Taylor was indeed awesome. Taylor getting excited for "seven minutes in heaven" is just awkward. She is out of high school and wants to do it because she has never done it before. Seriously, she is great. And you are way too obsessed with Popular. >_>

Edited by Fitzy

This season keeps getting better and better with each episode. Bullet is one of the best new characters they have created. So funny. And Seth fighting for the honor of Summer against Che was also great. And Ryan being obsessed with Taylor was indeed awesome. Taylor getting excited for "seven minutes in heaven" is just awkward. She is out of high school and wants to do it because she has never done it before. Seriously, she is great. And you are way too obsessed with Popular. >_>

So they didn't really go down the "It's A Wonderful Life" road that much and... wow. "The O.C." season 4 is probably my most dedicated appointment viewing on TV this year. Taylor as a main character is so awesome. "I hope you grill your face." :lol:

I love that the show didn't take the concept too seriously. They laid on the syrup thick where they needed to, but there were no overwraught expressions of despair, no corny video montages or attempts to tread where they'd already gone. This was a new spin on the holiday episode for "The O.C.", where the holiday took a backseat to a one episode arc and it was pulled off beautifully. It was an awesome mix of comedy, dramatic closure and sharp characterization. If the show has shifted from Seth/Summer to Ryan/Taylor that's okay with me. I really hope this isn't the last season. :(

Just caught up via YouTube, and I'm pretty happy with the way everything's been done. Ryan as a cage fighter was a little cheesy, but the idea behind it was good. I actually wish they would've strung that along longer, with Ryan just chasing Volcheck.

I also like how Seth was in the parallel universe. He was reeeeeally wierd, as opposed to just semi-wierd like we had met him in the first season.

Meh, that wasn't exactly a great episode. Some decent parts with the guy getting all excited to meet Seth for creating his comic book. Didn't care for the whole Summer is pregnant thing or this new guy who turns out to be Ryan's father. But Bullet was good as usual here and Taylor looked hot in the lingerie. But yeah, not really that good.

• 2 weeks later...

I only watched the last episode today and it was my favourite episode this season so far. Taylor was 5 stars as usual and it was great to see Kevin again. Hopefully he'll stay for more than just a couple of episodes. On other news, I almost got into a fight with some drunk guy during new year's eve cause he claimed that Mischa, Ben and Willa were all GREAT actors.

*sigh* :ohwell:

Edited by figos

It's over folks...

FOX Beaches 'The O.C.'

Popular soap will reach its conclusion on Feb. 22

Zap2It.com

January 3 2007

After bursting onto the scene in an inferno of hype in the summer of 2003, FOX's teen soap "The O.C." will fade quietly into the sunset this February after four eventful seasons.

FOX made the not-so-surprising announcement of the demise of "The O.C." late Wednesday (Jan. 3) afternoon. Starting this Thursday, "The O.C." will begin a stream of new episodes culminating in the series finale on Thursday, Feb. 22.

The move was hardly unexpected given that FOX only ordered 16 "O.C." episodes this season, a major dip for a series that had delivered over-sized runs of 27, 24 and 25 episodes in its first three years. In addition, FOX held "The O.C." back for a November premiere and launched it in a brutal Thursday time period opposite "Grey's Anatomy" and "CSI," two of TV's most popular shows.

The results have been easy to observe. Through its first seven Thursday airings, "The O.C." has averaged fewer than 4.06 million viewers per episode, off from last year's 5.75 million per episode. Critical raves suggesting that the show's quality was at its highest point since the first season did little to bring viewers back to the fold.

Talking to Zap2it in October, the show's creator Josh Schwartz was practical about the potential end of the show's ride.

"Obviously it's out there," Schwartz said. "Definitely when you're in this time slot and you've only been ordered for 16 episodes, you're aware that that's a possibility. Right now, we're just focused on making these 16 episode as good as we can and we'll see what happens. We'll have an answer before we're done breaking the episodes."

With that answer finally known, Schwartz seems to have shifted gears from practical to philosophical in the network statement announcing the finale.

"'The O.C.' Season Four finale will also be the series finale. This feels like the best time to bring the show to its close," Schwartz says. "Thanks to the hard work of our cast, crew and writers, we have enjoyed our best season yet, and what better time to go out than creatively on top. It has been an amazing experience and a great run. For a certain audience, at a certain time, 'The O.C.' has meant something. For that we are grateful."

There had been limited speculation about moving the series over to The CW in some modified form, but ultimately producers felt it was better to end "The O.C." on a creative high note.

In its four years, "The O.C." helped kick-start the careers of young leads Benjamin McKenzie, Adam Brody, Mischa Barton and Rachel Bilson, while introducing a whole new generation to Peter Gallagher and his eyebrows. The show won Teen Choice Awards by the barrel, was nominated for a Television Critics Association award for outstanding new show and even earned Schwartz a Writers Guild of America nod for scripting the pilot.