Final Fantasy XII

Riceman 4K

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EWB, motivate me to do more than collect the Rogue Tomato bounty. :shifty:

I usually complete the main story of FF in a month at the VERY max after starting, this, I got on release in UK (February), and was initially very enjoyable, now I find it tedious and barely worth my time, so I've not completed it.

I love the Active Battle System in most games, but ugh, for some reason it just doesn't work in XII. I don't know why. It worked brilliantly in the Xenosaga games and Radiata Stories, but ugh, just not well done at all in XII. I did as much as killing the Rogue Tomato before I gave up.

See, to me, one of the joys of Final Fantasy IS the random battles and the levelling up, it's one of few games I don't mind doing it in because it's, for some weird reason, engrossing and fun, they've taken away any real challenge with gambits and you have to move two bloody rooms to respawn enemies, it's lame as fuck.

See, I'm totally opposite of that. After I played a series of games using the ABS, I found out that I liked it SO much more than random battles. I went back and tried to do play FFVII after I completed Xenosaga and got 20 minutes in before I got absolutely fed up with random battles every fucking step. I guess I wouldn't mind if the encounters didn't seem to happen every step in most games.

See, I'm totally opposite of that. After I played a series of games using the ABS, I found out that I liked it SO much more than random battles. I went back and tried to do play FFVII after I completed Xenosaga and got 20 minutes in before I got absolutely fed up with random battles every fucking step. I guess I wouldn't mind if the encounters didn't seem to happen every step in most games.

As silly as this may sound, but I love the way Pokémon does random battles, enter grass or a cave, prepare to get raped by enemies, stay out of grass or caves, you're fine.

I found myself hating the battle system early on, but later in the game I've found it to be a pleasure. My advice to someone who doesn't want to continue past Rogue Tomato: play for at least a few more days. What happened to me was that the story sucked me in so much that I didn't mind the battle system, and later on I grew to love even that.

And as a side-note, fuck that huge final mark. Fuck him to hell.

I agree with that. Heck, just cutting down on the amount of encounters would please me too -- instead of having a random encounter every two steps you make, have it be every 6 or 7 steps. It doesn't sound like much in print, but it seems like it would be less annoying.

I found myself hating the battle system early on, but later in the game I've found it to be a pleasure. My advice to someone who doesn't want to continue past Rogue Tomato: play for at least a few more days. What happened to me was that the story sucked me in so much that I didn't mind the battle system, and later on I grew to love even that.

I love the story, I love the characters, I grew to like the battle system, but I refuse to spend two hours levelling up just because I have to run from one room to another every sodding time.

Haha, three replies within a minute. I think I'm gonna go ahead and defend what I like about FFXII's battle system... I love parts where I'm just roaming around a field, killing off weaker enemies to get to where I need to go, and off in the distance I see a huge enemy has spawned (maybe some kind of wyrm) and bolt towards him, swords a-swinging. To me, it adds a certain quality that I haven't seen in many games, as I haven't played any MMORPGs or other games which this battle system is based on.

EDIT:

I love the story, I love the characters, I grew to like the battle system, but I refuse to spend two hours levelling up just because I have to run from one room to another every sodding time.

Edited by Venom

You realise no-one's criticising the battle system, right? We're criticising the spawning of the game, it's not seeing a cool enemy, it's the fact you either have to do too much or too little to encounter a enemy in these games, it's nothing at all to do with the actual battle system.

You realise no-one's criticising the battle system, right? We're criticising the spawning of the game, it's not seeing a cool enemy, it's the fact you either have to do too much or too little to encounter a enemy in these games, it's nothing at all to do with the actual battle system.

I agree with you Benji about it starting off fun, but soon started to become tedious. I got it day one of the release (November 1st I think), and I only managed to beat it until last week (played and beat two other RPGs in that time....hack GU vol 1 & 2). I got bored of it, the story was lack luster....and I know for a fact I only got the game because it has "Final Fantasy" in the title. I just want another FF8 or FF9 style game, those two were the best in my opinion. Also, leveling up is a bigger bitch near the end of the game to. I think after entering the tower place (cannot remember what it's called, the one you do with Reddas), from that point till the end of the game I leveled up about 5 levels between all my characters....

I do realize that now, I had posted my previous response before yours was on the page. In that case, different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Fairy smuff, I got nowhere near that adequate level and I beat every spawn that appeared. Probably I'm just shit :shifty: