The Ashes

Zaz

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I caught the first over before my exam today and what was wicket as bad as is was all the way through?

The first three balls, were fucking all over the place. I don't think even one had correct line and length, the pitch was hard as rock.

Hmph, just as I feared. Not a good firsty day at all.

Now Aus will bat out day 2 and get to 600-odd before putting us in for 30mins or so, we'll lose a wicket.

Day 3 we'll lose our final wicket and then have to bat out 2 days to survive.

It's happened so many times before...

At least Giles got a wicket. :P But that was poor, and to be honest from our bowlers i didn't really expect much better. Harmison has never reached the heights he did in the ashes since, same with Hoggy, and Anderson just isn't Jones. Good to see a 70 % fit Freddie in the wickets early, maybe next test he'll take every wicket seeing as he's the only fast bowler who can.

I agree with what the Australian commentators said - as soon as they revealed that Jones would be keeping, Panesar would never play.

Because of the way he bowls, he's suited to a keeper more of Read's style.

This can be read as: Jones can't catch, and Giles never needs his keeper to take a catch. Thus they're a perfect fit.

That said, great day aussies - looking forward to more of the same tomorrow :)

If Jones doesn't make at least one half century in this match he'll be under pressure.

Sometimes it's like he's expected to make 50 every single innings or he's FAILED!

It's ridiculous, even Graham Thorpe had a test average of around 44 which is pretty spectacular and he's seen as a hero rather than a failure, and he's a pure batsman.

If Jones can score 50-60 in a match and can make as few mistakes as possible then he's always in the team for me ahead of Read.

Plubbys point is complete crap, you don't drop your best spinner because of the keeper. Absolute shite, Panesar isn't playing for the same reason as Johnson isn't playing, it's called being defensive. England beleive that Giles will provide that extra experience that we have lost through Strescothick going home. Panesar is being protected by Fletcher, who doesn't really like him anyway because he can't bat. Once Fletcher stops being so damn stubborn and realises that Panesars wickets will be vital in a side where two of our four bowlers aren't fit and can't carry the load, then he will be in to run through those fucking Aussies.

Hammy is spot on with his comments about Jones, as a man at 7 if he continually scores 30 while working with Pieterson and Flintoff in the middle order I'll be more than happy. He doesn't need to score alot, just a 100 partnership here and there would be good. Just as long as he keeps well and doesn't make any crazy mistakes.

EXACTLY! A number 7's job is to support Pietersen and Flintoff and to occasionally guide the tail through to the end putting on partnerships with Giles and hit out while Hoggard holds down the other end.

Like it or not Jones plays this role pretty well on the whole.