The Ashes

Zaz

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahem. Prime Minister's XI 347 defeated England 181 in a one day match (H)

That's like a mix between our 2nd and 3rd string sides.

I know you lost it in the end anyway, but didn't your lot lose to Bangladesh not long before going up against us?

Yeah, I think you did.

But you played a lot better than you did at the start of the tour, basically.

Starts in an hours time.

Clark apparently gets the gig ahead of Johnson which is a joke. I hate Clark.

So I'm guessing the teams will be;

Langer

Hayden

*Ponting

Martyn

Hussey

Clarke

+Gilchrist

Warne

Lee

Clark

McGrath

Strauss

Cook

Bell

Pietersen

Collingwood

*Flintoff

+Jones

Giles

Hoggard

Harmison

Anderson

Will be a joke if Giles gets the nod ahead of Monty, but I get the feeling the England selectors will go the safer option. You guys better hope Sajid doesn't get a game, looked terrible against the PM's XI.

I'd be more worried about protecting Bell.

Anyways, bad decision this. But that'll be cancelled out by Stuart Clark being picked.

10.00am England have named their XI and as expected, Ashley Giles has been preferred to Monty Panesar. "It's safety first from Fletcher, but with some reason," Andrew Miller tells us. "Remember 2002-03, when Craig White was England's No. 7. The idea of a tail that long is anathema to the coach. Giles acts as ballast, and should allow England's top six to play with greater freedom."

England 1 Andrew Strauss, 2 Alastair Cook, 3 Ian Bell, 4 Paul Collingwood, 5 Kevin Pietersen, 6 Andrew Flintoff (capt), 7 Geraint Jones (wk), 8 Ashley Giles, 9 Matthew Hoggard, 10 Steve Harmison, 11 James Anderson.

Edited by The Flamin Mongrel

I think this move with Giles is to cover the loss of Trescothick in the field. We were lacking a fat guy and now Gilo has taken the role. Seriously though, Fletcher probably feels he needs Giles batting ability and his experience in the Ashes situation. At least for the first game. Panesar can wait for a more spinner friendly wicket where he will get more joy and his confidence won't get dented.