Irish Folk/Rock music.....

Scruffy The Janitor

Well recently I attacked my dad's CD's and ripped them onto the computer. Some great, great music there but a couple of bands really hit me for a 6, and just can't get enough of it. Those bands are of course:

• The Pogues

• The Dubliners

Listening to them they have such a great irish folk sound, and seeing as I descend there, you would have thought I had heard it before, but alas the only song I knew from either band, was "Fairytale of New York", by the pogues. And thats only because everyone knows that song. Just wondering if anyone could reccomend any other band like these two, or albums I should get from either band. Just to clear up what albums I already have, so you don't suggest one I've got:

• The Dubliners - Drinking & Courting (Seven Drunken Nights)

• The Dubliners - The Best of the Dubliners

• The Pogues - The Best of the Pogues

• The Pogues - Dirty Old Town: The Platinum Collection

And as a side, the version of "Whiskey in a Jar" on the dubliner's Drinking & Courting, owns all kinds of ass.

So recommend, and discuss peoples.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

It's not QUITE Irish, but Great Big Sea are a Newfie band in the same vein...although you have to make sure you're listening to their folk music and not their pop music...

Get "If I Should Fall From Grace With God" by The Pogues.

Also, The Popes are worth listening to, with or without Shane MacGowan, they were the band he formed when he was kicked out of the Pogues, and they've got some great tracks. "The Snake" is probably their best album.

On top of that....Flogging Molly, The Mahones and The Tossers.

Being Irish, I really should be able to help...but I don't really know albums just songs when it comes to The Dubliners and The Pogues.

Of course there is always (if you don't know the song already) 'The Irish Rover' which is The Dubliners & The Pogues....I think...either that or it's just Ronnie Drew and Shane McGowen....I'm too lazy to double check that.

I'd recommed anything Luke Kelly did, with or without The Dubliners (On Raglan Road and Scorn Not His Simplicty are particular fav's of mine.)

I know I also have somewhere in my collection The Pogues with Joe Strummer (who joined up with them for a short while).

Flogging Molly are probably a way to go, I've not heard alot of there stuff though.

"The Irish Rover" was indeed The Pogues & The Dubliners. As for Pogues & Strummer, Joe Strummer joined them as a rhythm guitarist for a while, but sang on a couple of songs with them, mostly Clash covers. Their version of London Calling is fantastic.

Get "If I Should Fall From Grace With God" by The Pogues.

Also, The Popes are worth listening to, with or without Shane MacGowan, they were the band he formed when he was kicked out of the Pogues, and they've got some great tracks. "The Snake" is probably their best album.

On top of that....Flogging Molly, The Mahones and The Tossers.

:wub: for the bolded bands. Take Skumfrog's advice on the Mahones and Tossers.

Good start on the Pogues and Dubliners, both are excellent choices.

Other bands that I really enjoy are the Wolfe Tones, Irish Rovers (I believe they do indeed do a version of the Irish Rover, maybe even the original as they are an older group), The Chieftans, Gaelic Storm (newer than the other bands I mentioned, they perform in the movie Titanic), The Trojans (sort of a gaelic ska mixture, very fun), and Waylander (a metal band with gaelic influences, maybe not exactly what you want, but they'd be worth the trouble).

The first three groups are definitely similar in the mold of the Dubliners, and as old as they are as well. The rest of the bands celtic/gaelic influenced, some more than others.

Try the Dropkick Murpheys for little known Irish Rock badassery.

Little known? Dropkick Murphys are one of the better-known bands of the genre. Although, from what I've heard of them, the celtic influence isn't nearly as strong as people seem to suggest. I haven't heard anything bordering on The Pogues or Flogging Molly style from them.