The Talisman To Be A TNT Mini Series

TGC

Steven Spielberg will produce epic Stephen King-Peter Straub novel for small screen.

Stephen King The '80s are back and scarier than ever.

The 1984 best seller The Talisman, a collaboration between horror writers Stephen King and Peter Straub, will come to TNT courtesy of Steven Spielberg and DreamWorks TV. Spielberg will executive produce with partners Kathleen Kennedy and Ehren Kruger.

Talisman will be a six-hour miniseries premiering in the summer of 2008. TNT also aired the 2004 King miniseries Salem's Lot and this year's Nightmares and Dreamscapes. Spielberg produced the 2005 miniseries Into the West for the network.

The Talisman told the story of young Jack Sawyer, a boy who can "flip" into a parallel universe called The Territories. There, he befriends a werewolf and searches for a Talisman that can save his mother's life and prevent a global catastrophe. A sequel, Black House, was published in 2001.

A Talisman film has been planned since the release of the book. In 1985, paperback editions of the novel read "Soon to be a major motion picture," and at one point, Michael J. Fox was attached to star.

The same year The Talisman was first published, Steven Spielberg directed the film Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and produced the Joe Dante-directed Gremlins. The Jaws director is no stranger to horror, having produced the 1982 film Poltergeist.

credit TV.com

I liked the book. :( It dragged, granted, but I thought it was alright.. Black House was worse though.

However, if anyone thinks Straub sucks, I implore you to read his novels. Especially Blue Rose. :wub:

:o

You take that back!

The Dark Tower > Everything else King has written, including IT, Salem's Lot and The Stand.

QFE. Well, okay, maybe not better than It.. but that one holds a spot in my heart always for being one of the first SK novels I read, along with Cujo.

Talisman was ungodly bloated to me. Felt like they kept throwing shit in there so it could have that "two great authors must craft enormous epic" sort of feel to it. Black House was leaner, meaner, and a hell of a lot easier read.

The Stand was bigger than The Talisman, but it felt like there was importance attached to each word, and I never found it dragging at any point.

Bummer part is, I've yet to enjoy much cinematic work based off King's writing. Langoliers wasn't bad (who knew Bronson Pinchot could play such a scary fucker?), The Stand mini-series was good (Molly as a brunette... :wub: ), Carrie was excellent (better than the book, even), and I thought Pet Sematary and Christine were okay. Never saw Cujo, though. The rest has sucked nuts, and I don't think I'll be making an appointment to watch Talisman, either.

P.S. Re: books...The Stand and Needful Things FTW.

:o

You take that back!

The Dark Tower > Everything else King has written, including IT, Salem's Lot and The Stand.

Unless the series improves, I disagree. I'm still new to Stephen King, and only read 4 books of his so far, but of those 4 (Stand, Rage, Carrie, DT1) Gunslinger was the worst. I just found it hard to enjoy a book I didn't really understand. It was still a good book though, and it picked up a lot in quality for the last 20 pages.

I alreay have around 8 books I plan to read within 2007, but The Talisman is one I may read in 2008.