Problem (I hate music)

YI

Okay, I have a problem. I pride myself on being pretty much musically diverse, but voer the past couple of days I realised I flat out seem to HATE stuff like Stone Sour, Deftones, 36 Crazyfists and Killswitch Engage (Only using those as examples, as I got their 'new' albums recently). And basically I am sitting here like "What the fuck is this?". Like...I can't explain it...it just seems so dull.

It just sounds like the same old shit, and for the most part, it sounds like any band could have written any song. I can recognise that it's good music, I just can't like it. Which isn't great, as I used to be really into some of this stuff (36 Crazyfists and Killswitch most notably).

I don't entirely know why I made this topic. Maybe you can discuss whether these albums are actually meant to be good, maybe that way I'll feel less shitty about disliking them. Or maybe you can talk about genres and stuff which you just seem to hate. Or maybe give me some bands to check out that I might like, I dunno.

I just feel weird sitting here, and keep switching to "Oh Calcutta" by The Lawrence Arms, an album which I admit IS NOT ALL THAT GOOD, yet I still want to listen to it over this stuff.

So why can't I love bands I used to love? :(

Well, any metal with ridiculous shouting and screaming and the ominious type of vocals somehow doesn't do it for me. I mean, I have no problem with the "older" metal faves like Metallica, Pantera, and the like, but if anybody gives me an album of any current metal, I probably will hate it, and I have no idea why.

Could always be a phase. I know sometimes - randomly - I'll have this overwhelming urge to listen to metal, and then maybe a month or two later I'm burnt out on it and start listening to something else. Then a few months later the whole thing repeats.

Is Stone Sour metal or rock or what? I have their new album, and I think it's pretty good. Just not sure what to classify it as. To me, it sounds like a combination of grunge, alternative, and current rock.

Get your hands on the three demo albums, a lot lighter but still very classy. I so love Stone Sour, so much more than Slipknot.

I'd put them down as hard/alternative rock.

As time progresses you outgrow old interests. It's just a common thing. Admittedly I haven't suffered through this as much; I still like Nirvana, Weezer, the Beastie Boys, and Gorillaz just as I did five years ago. But, I mean, I used to enjoy Kid Rock and Limp Bizkit in, like, 1999 and now the very thought of their music makes me feel ill.

Musical tastes evolve over time, really, and sometimes that involves growing tired of things you used to like. There's nothing wrong with it; in my opinion if something is truly good it will stick with you through the years and remain good, instead of wearing out its welcome.

'Alternative Rock', that's what I meant. :shifty: I'm rubbish with genres. Heavier stuff I'm generally fine with, softer stuff I'm generally fine with. It's just this middle breed, that bores me to tears. I 'hate' the vocals, that's my problem...I think. I've become a lot more 'melody orientated' in my music, and for the most part just hearing someone yell over the 'same' moving guitar part in every song is starting to annoy me. I dunno. Oh, and I've started to sort of get into Killswitch...I can still lsiten to the old 36 Crazyfists/Killswitch/Deftones stuff, but the new stuff does nothing for me.

Oh...and whilst more 'melodic' (I guess), I can't stand stuff like Breaking Benjamin, Crossfade, Three Days Grace etc...they just sound all too similar.

It's as if I just don't like the 'middle ground' of music.

Edited by Steve Mandela

Like GoGo said, welcome to musical evolution:

Mine's gone roughly:

Pop->Indie/Alternative->Trance->Hard House->Techno->Break Beat->Electronica/IDM->Ska/Breaks/Funk/Indie/IDM.

I've had a few common threads throughout but stuff I ADORED just 5 years ago I downright hate these days.

Embrace it, you get to enjoy loads of new stuff and we shouldn't feel precious about the "old days". We're not betraying those old bands that were EVERYTHING for us back when we needed them.

If it helps, I'm a fan of all four of those bands you mentioned in your first post, and I hate all their new albums bar Sour's.

Whilst 36 Crazyfists and Killswitch's new albums aren't bad in my eyes, neither has taken any steps further than their debut albums on any of thier subsequent follow-ups, which sucks a lot.

All the bands you listed are a bag of cocks, which is why you don't like them, clearly. There are plenty of bands I used to listen to that I'd never give the time of day to any more, and that's fine, progression is all a part of life, I much prefer the music I've found since. Just because you used to like something doesn't mean you should have any obligation to continue liking it. People change, tastes change, that's life.

Guitars are over-rated, anyway.

All the bands you listed are a bag of cocks, which is why you don't like them, clearly. There are plenty of bands I used to listen to that I'd never give the time of day to any more, and that's fine, progression is all a part of life, I much prefer the music I've found since. Just because you used to like something doesn't mean you should have any obligation to continue liking it. People change, tastes change, that's life.

Keyboards are better :shifty:

Sequencers are better :pervert:

Okay, I have a problem. I pride myself on being pretty much musically diverse, but voer the past couple of days I realised I flat out seem to HATE stuff like Stone Sour, Deftones, 36 Crazyfists and Killswitch Engage (Only using those as examples, as I got their 'new' albums recently). And basically I am sitting here like "What the fuck is this?". Like...I can't explain it...it just seems so dull.

Yeah, the bands you listed pretty much suck balls. Defones are hit or miss. But Stone Sour, Killswitch, both are horrible, horrible bands.

In two years I went from punk, through jazz, back to alt.rock, into synthpop/IDM, jazz, blues, hip-hop, jazz, alt.rock, hip-hop, jazz. Pretty much in that order. Spread your wings, son. Get out there and dig on some Charlie Mingus, George Clinton, Foo Fighters, VNV Nation, Talib Kweli. I like to jump on MP3 sites and just download random shit until I hear something that doesn't sound like crap.