Dracula

Timmoru Suzuki

Did anyone else just watch that on BBC 1? I thought it was excellent. It was a slow-build show, but it all seemed to be timed perfectly, the acting was superb (Marc Warren WAS really good as Dracula), and of course, the story was good. I've never read the novel, but I could be tempted to now.

So yeah, the adaptation was superb. Anyone else catch it?

I too was very impressed by it. I think the pacing of the first 1/2 to 2/3 was excellent, but that last 1/3 was slightly rushed, in my opinion. I would have liked a little more suspense at the end before the final confrontation, but still it's a minor gripe.

Marc Warren was really good, as was pretty much the entire cast.

Really enjoyable - the beeb got it right on this one. :)

Very much so.

Taking on Dragon's point, maybe it could have done with being a little quicker at the beginning, and a little slower at the end, but on the whole, that was a great bit of one-off drama.

I was out tonight but it's been taped and I'll be watching tomorrow, 'cos my flatmate and I are currently working on a stage adaptation.

I love the source material, it's a fantastic novel and Marc Warren is an awesome actor, so I'm expecting good things, and totally expanding upon the role of one of Stoker's most minor characters is sure to give it a fresh edge.

How do you know it's a fantastic adaptation if you've never read the novel? :|

And, yeah, I'd love to see if this is repeated, I love me some Dracula, but didn't even know anything about this.

Alright, so I worded that wrong. I meant the actual show was superb, and the show was an adaptation, rather than the book being adapted well, because how would I know.... I THINK that's what I meant anyway!

Also, I can't see it being THAT wildly different from the book, if at all.

Making one of Lucy's three utterly minor suitors the focus of the entire story is something that certainly qualifies as "wildly different from the book", my friend. Still haven't watched it yet, but I imagine if they do that then they'll be reducing the roles of Harker and Mina, and I can't see Van Helsing having much to do if it's all about Holmwood (IIRC from the Times article) having syphillis.

A nice plot twist, certainly, and Marc Warren/Sophia Myles in the same show gives me a happy, but... there's a reason they've not promoted it as anything to do with Bram Stoker, because they'd have the pants sued off them.

Ok, not spoiling it for Sephiroth, but one of his assumptions is pretty much spot on, the other is way off.

So, I'm guessing it is WILDLY different from the book then!? Ah well, wrong again. I enjoyed an awful lot anyway.