Your "Supergroup"...

livid

With the recent influx of these in the scene nowadays, was wondering what everybody else's own personal, dream supergroup is?

Mine would be this...

Metal Supergroup

Vocals - Phil Labonte (All That Remains)

Lead Guitar - Michael Amott (Arch Enemy)

Rhythm Guitar - Jesper Strömblad (In Flames)

Bass - Ryan Martinie (Mudvayne)

Drums - Dale Crover (the Melvins)

The Other Supergroup

Vocals - Trent Reznor (NIN)

Guitar - Josh Homme (Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age)

Guitar - Adam Jones (Tool)

Bass - Shavo Odadjian (System of a Down)

Drums - Shannon Larkin (Godsmack)

The second one is a bit more mainstream and I tried to make it so that the styles could mesh a bit more than the metal one.

So what are your's?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Sort of Indie Supergroup:

Vocalist - Tunde Adebimpe (TV on the Radio)

Lead Guitarist - Russell Lissack (Bloc Party)

Synth - Jesse F. Keeler (Death From Above 1979, MSTRKRFT)

Bass Guitarist - Martin Crandell (The Shins)

Drums - Richard Colburn (Belle and Sebastian)

Yes, that would be a massive mess...

Metal Supergroup

Vocals - Cory Taylor (Slipknot/Stone Sour)

Lead Guitar - Kerry King (Slayer)

Rhythm Guitar - Scott Ian (Anthrax)

Bass - Lemmy Kilmister (Motorhead)

Drums - Dave Mackintosh (Dragonforce)

The Other Supergroup

Vocals - Jacoby Shaddix (Papa Roach)

Guitar - Synster Gates (Avenged Sevenfold)

Guitar - Eric Weaver (12 Stones)

Bass - Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

Drums - Roy Mayorga (Stone Sour)

Not sure what style you'd call this, because its a mix of goth, nu metal, and other styles and has a 3 guitar attack:

Vocals - Tarja Turunen (former lead singer of Nightwish)

Guitar - Munky (Korn)

Guitar and background vocals - James Root (Stone Sour and Slipknot)

Guitar - Brian Bell (Weezer)

Bass Guitar and background vocals - Rick Savage (Def Leppard)

Drums - Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters)

Turntables - DJ Lethal (Limp Bizkit)

I'd have Mike Shinoda (Linkin Park) producing and doing guest vocals on a couple of tracks.

The Greatest Motherfucking Band That Would Ever Exist If It Wasn't Made Up Of Dead People

Vocals - Elvis Presley and Jim Morrison

Guitar - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Guitar - Steve Clark (formerly of Def Leppard)

Bass Guitar - Cliff Burton (formerly of Metallica)

Drums - Keith Moon (formerly of the Who) and John Bonham (formerly of Led Zeppelin)

Edited by GhostMachine

Two.. first one would be metal, second would be a little more bluesy with a slight hint of grunge.

Supergroup 1:

Vocals: Mike Patton (Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, Tomahawk, Peeping Tom)

Lead Guitar: Buckethead (a lot of stuff)

Rhythm Guitar: Balsac the Jaws of Death (GWAR)

Bass: Les Claypool (Primus)

Drums: Bill Bruford (King Crimson, Yes)

Supergroup 2:

Vocals: Layne Staley (Alice in Chains)

Lead Guitar: Slash (Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver)

Rhythm Guitar: Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth)

Bass: Tommy Stinson (The Replacements, Guns N' Roses)

Drums: Matt Cameron (Soundgarden/Pearl Jam)

Oh yeah, one more.

Supergroup 3: Savage Animal

Vocals: Sebastian Bach

The Rest: IT DOESN'T FUCKIN' MATTER.

Edited by Bob Roberts

Vocals: Davey Havok

Guitar: Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein or Jade Puget

Bass: Jerry Only

Drums: Johnny Kelly

Essentially it'd be a throwback to the Misfits style of punk. Havok's vocal range is all over the place, and if he was set on doing something like this, I'm 100% positive that he'd pull it off better than anyone I could think of.

I couldn't decide on guitar, because I didn't want to push too much of one band into the project, but I couldn't think of anyone else I'd want doing this. With Doyle, you have the power and the aggression that goes into this kind of music... but the fact is, I'm confident that Jade Puget is probably one of, if not the best, rock guitarist in terms of the technical stuff. Plus, he comes from a hardcore background. So having the attitude AND the savvy, and not just one or the other, definately helps.

On bass, it's kind of a must to have Jerry Only... I mean, the guy's been doing it for 30 years, and the only complaints I hear about him are about the fact that he's an asshole and yadda yadda about him not taking things in the right direction... so here's your big genre veteran, with the know how and the experience, coming into a group of four guys that are bringing just as much, if not more, to the group. I think Only would thrive in an environment where his bad ideas were either shot down or spun into better ones.

Johnny Kelly, of Type O Negative... first off, he's just an amazing drummer. But more importantly, he's a HUGE fan of Horrorpunk. He's played with Danzig and Doyle before, rehashing the Misfits there a couple years ago.

That's MY supergroup.

Supergroup One

Vocals: Chris Cornell

Guitar: Santana

Bass: Flea

Drums: Josh Homme

Playing a soulful mix of funky melodies and some powerful vocal and guitar work, Josh's drumming would fill out nicely in a band which is pretty much based off of the inspiration that comes from sound.

Supergroup 2

Vocals: Anthony Kiedis

Lead Guitar: John Frusciante

Rhythm Guitar/Backing Vocals: Billie Joe Armstrong

Bass: Josh Homme

Drums: Dave Grohl

I know I chose Josh twice, and this band seems weird, but I have my reasons. First of all, I know for a fact all these men are friends, second, each man is amazingly proficient at the roles I've given them. Kiedis is an ideal frontman and has a good vocal mix, Frusciante is the guitarist I'd always choose to put behind Anthony (not to mention he's my favourite guitarist, check out his solo work). Billie Joe's songs always seem to keep a good toe tapping rhythm that John sometimes struggles to keep, he's basically there to give a little bit of secondary opinion to the Chili boys. Dave Grohl, I don't think needs any explanation. Josh Homme I chose because, have you ever heard "Burn The Witch" by QOTSA? The man is a fucking maestro.

Vocals and Rythm Guitar: Billy Corgan

Lead Guitar: John Frusciante

Bass: Wes Borland

Drums: Dave Grohl

Played a sort of twisted, distorted alt-rock. Corgan, although most people think his voice is whiny, is so versatile it's untrue, and writes some great song basics. John, as you all should know, is able to fit into virtually anything, and would be great in a free role, just soloing or interjecting wherever necessary. Wes is underrated on the bass, and did some great work on Heroine, so I think he'd be a great fit. Grohl doesn't really need explaination, but for the sake of argument, I think he'd be ideal to hold together an otherwise possibly fragmented sound. He has the ability to pull everything together from behind the kit, regardless of what's going on up front.

Guest Avenger

Super Thrash Heavy Experimental Metal Band!

Vocal: Matt Heafy (Trivium)

Gituar: Dave Murray (Iron Maiden)

Gituar: Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden)

Gituar: Kirk Hammett (Metallica)

Bass Gituar: Paolo Gregoletto (Trivium)

Bass Gituar: Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)

Drums: Lars Ulrich (Metallica)

Hmm, there you see a mix of heavy Iron Maiden, with strong Thrash metal sounds from Heafy, Hammet, Gregoletto and Ulrich, hmm i would definetley buy there record.

I might update this later!

Well, firstly I can't have my absolute dream all-time supergroup, 'cos their rhythm guitarist got shot and their lead guitarist died of cancer. Fuckers.

Anyway, I'm gonna select 2 groups like a lot of people here have...

Supergroup One

Lead Guitar - Billy Corgan

Rhythm Guitar - Josh Homme

Bass Guitar - Melissa auf der Maur

Drums - Dave Grohl

Some sort of crazy Nirvana/Pumpkins/QOTSA mash-up, and this one is concievable 'cos everybody in it is friends with one or two of the others. Haha. Anyway, what you've got here is a mixture of the more experimental and 'weirdy' grunge sound offered by the Pumpkins and by MadM's solo stuff (some of which Homme played on, of course) and the sheer driving force of Grohl's drumming and Homme's guitar. A little harsh to relegate one of my favourite guitarists to rhythm guitar, I know, but come on - as if Billy Corgan would let it be any other way.

Oh, and they all share vox.

Supergroup Two

Acoustic Guitar/Harmonica - Bob Dylan

Lead Guitar - Eric Clapton

Rhythm Guitar - Neil Young

Bass Guitar - Tom Petty

Drums - Mickey Jones (The Hawks/The Band)

Piano/Organ - Little Richard

Chorus

- Maria Muldaur

- Rufus Wainwright

- Aretha Franklin

- Elvis Costello

- Joni Mitchell

- Joan Baez

Okay... phew! What we've got here is a collection of some of the biggest living (I checked, they're all still alive) musicians and artists of the 20th century, and all in one place I'm sure it'll be a clusterfuck, but let's try to make some sense of this... Neil Young is integral here, as a band leader, because with all of these egos floating around one needs a good solid leader, and Young's one of the best in rock'n'roll. Around him we build a solid core of Clapton on lead guitar, floating over and under the rhythm and busting solos out as he does, Petty switching from his usual guitar to playing bass (I love multi-instrumentalists!) and providing a solid rhythm section with Mickey Jones, who for my money is the best old-school drummer in rock'n'roll. Little Richard is hands down the best pianist in rock'n'roll, bar none, so he gets the nod on the ivories, and what you've got here is a group that although made up of great individual talents and egos, can get on and play as has been shown numerous times either with The Travelling Wilburies, The Last Waltz tour of The Band, or numerous other shows.

And the man we're all here for - Bob Dylan. Yeah, he can barely play for toffee anymore. The harmonica stuff is still good, and for my money, even broken-down as he is he's a great acoustic guitarist. And the voice - the voice has improved a hundred times in the last 10 years, as he gets older and more bluesy he seems to get better and better. Bob Dylan is the man this band is built around.

The chorus' job is to provide harmonies and melodies. Bit much to relegate some of the greatest voices in music to backing vox, I know, but here we are. Muldaur, Baez, and Mitchell provide the lush, lullaby-esque high notes, whilst Costello and Wainwright - who soar on every note - move in and around them, and Aretha is there to belt out soul like only she can.

And I did it all without using a single dead guy! (Y)

Vocalist:Mike Patton

Guitarist:Johnny Marr

Bass:Flea

Drums:Danny Carey

Some weird, Patton-esque alternative rock band, I guess.

Metal:

Vocalists: Aaron Stainthorpe (My Dying Bride)

Tomas Lindberg (At The Gates, amongst others)

Guitarists: Devin Townsend

Jesper Stromblad (In Flames)

Bass:Lemmy Kilmister (Motorhead)

Drums: Brann Dailor (Mastodon)

This band will have the majority of the vocals done by Lindberg, although the slower passages will be done by Stainthorpe. Townsend could also weigh in with some of his own.

Edited by Liam Byrne

Vocals: Ryan Clark (Demon Hunter)

Guitar: Dave Mustaine (Megadeth, Metallica)

Guitar: Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society, Ozzy Osbourne

Bass: John Moyer (Union Underground, Disturbed, Soak)

Drums: Brann Dailor (Mastodon)

If dead people could be included, replace John Moyer with Cliff Burton and replace Dave Mustaine with Dimebag Darrell.

With a bit of thought, I'm sure there are better bassists on offer than Flea though, I'm lazy.

He's the best funk bassist, but it depends on the music you want, I don't believe anybody is the best at one instrument because everyone writes and plays differently depending on the genre.

I'd argue he probably isn't, but that's going on the fact that not many people play funk-bass commercially (as far as I'm aware), and there are probably better people tucked away with a less higher profile (as with a lot of genres/styles/etc). On a commercial level, by a country mile.

I'd probably shove in Nick Olivieri ahead of him in my band (after having a think about it)...I'm more of a fan of the stoner rock sound than funk.