EWB Sports Hall of Fame Voting

Clawson

Who Goes Into the Sports Hall of Fame?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who Goes Into the Sports Hall of Fame?

• Joe Montana (American Football)
    • Ted Williams (Baseball)
    • Bobby Orr (Hockey)
    • Dan Gable (Wrestling)
    • Jim Thorpe (Baseball/Football/Track and Field)
    • Jackie Robinson (Baseball)
    • Johan Cruyff (Football)
    • Babe Ruth (Baseball)

The men above are the ones who got more then one nomination, so sorry Beatnik but Joe is going to have to wait until next ballot. :ohwell:

Anyway pick one of the above, 3 men will get in but they must have more then 10% of the total vote to do so. Discuss and Debate who you think is going in. Have fun again.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johan Cryff cos the rest of the list is unbeliveably American-oriented.

There ARE other countries and sports in the world you know...

for example:

Maradonna (Footy)

Marco Van Basten (Footy)

Michael Schumacher (F1)

Steve Redgrave (Record 5 time Olympic gold medalist - rowing)

Jonathan Edwards (Triple Jump world record holder)

Courtney Walsh (Cricket)

Just a few examples..

Johan Cryff cos the rest of the list is unbeliveably American-oriented.

There ARE other countries and sports in the world you know...

for example:

Maradonna (Footy)

Marco Van Basten (Footy)

Michael Schumacher (F1)

Steve Redgrave (Record 5 time Olympic gold medalist - rowing)

Jonathan Edwards (Triple Jump world record holder)

Courtney Walsh (Cricket)

Just a few examples..

You could've nominated you know, in the Nomination thread up at the top.

Same could be said for George Best or Maradonna, neither are even on the damn list.

Did Best or Maradonna win all but one of the matches they were in? Or did they win an Olympic gold medal without allowing a point to be scored against them? Are they far and away the best person to be in their sport in the last 100 years.

Simple answer... no.

I rest my case.

Was this Gable guy able to take on a whole team of players and then score? Was this Gable guy one of the greatest football players off all time?

One simple answer...no.

So I think I rest my case this time round.

Wrestling is harder the soccer. You have to live wrestling, its not a sport, its a lifestyle. If you've never wrestled you would never know.

Wrestling is harder the soccer. You have to live wrestling, its not a sport, its a lifestyle. If you've never wrestled you would never know.

I wrestle, and yes it is fucking brutal. To be successful in college you have to live the sport for the first 18 years of your life. The only reason I picked Thorpe over him was because Thorpe did more sports than just one... and was successful as them.

Edited by damshow

Sorry but what a load of utter crap. A sport is a sport, damn simple as. Have you ever played a full football game against a professional football team? If not then you have no clue how tiring the game is. I don't care how brutal wrestling is, Football is a much more passionate and working game, damn simple as. I didn't want to compare sports to others, but when you start saying Best and Maradonna aren't as good as this guy, then I have no choice.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

Sorry but what a load of utter crap. A sport is a sport, damn simple as. Have you ever played a full football game against a professional football team? If not then you have no clue how tiring the game is. I don't care how brutal football is, Football is a much more passionate and working game, damn simple as. I didn't want to compare sports to others, but when you start saying Best and Maradonna aren't as good as this guy, then I have no choice.

The simple fact is, they aren't. One, they aren't the very best in their sport ever, Gable is. Calling soccer more passionate and working then wrestling shows that you know nothing of what you talk about. I've played soccer, and I've wrestled, and soccer has nothing on being on a mat. I can run around for two ours on a field, but I'm still more tired in those six minutes on a mat. You have to eat, breath, and drink wrestling, 24/7. You have to cut weight, you have to work your ass off, or your nothing. Raw athletic talent will not get you by in wrestling like it will in soccer.

Well for a start its debatable, who's to say they aren't the best in the game? They have both done enough to be rated the best, but in nearly every sport it is close to impossible to say someone is the best, because its all on opinion, well certainly in football anyway. I would have mentioned Pele but he is already there, but he is a great example. In football there was nothing that he couldn't do, he was simply the best if you ask me. Maybe this Gable guy is the best in Wrestling, but that doesn't mean he is the best athlete off all time. Sure your allowed your opinion, but you should also allow others to have there opinion, and yeah you haven't said they cant but by saying if Gable doesn't get in then we are all stupid is just silly to be honest. Seriously go and watch Maradonna and Best play and then you'll understand. I don't care about outside lifestyles, its all about the game, and in the game them two were simply amazing, why do you think millions of people look up to guys like them? Football is that popular.