THQ Sign 5 year deal to make UFC titles

Docpepper

Credit: Wrestlemag

THQ have announced that they have signed a five-year deal with the Ultimate Fighting Championship to make UFC games for all console and portable platforms, as well as wireless devices.

THQ are hopeful that the UFC games will “complement” its existing line of World Wrestling Entertainment games, with THQ’s Executive VP of Worldwide Publishing, Kelly Flock saying that, “We see WWE as an entertainment brand, while UFC is a true sports brand.”

Previous UFC games have been made by smaller publishers, however with the huge growth over the past few years, UFC are believed to have been in talks with several top publishers before agreeing terms with THQ.

Flock also said that THQ, which doesn’t have any other major sports franchises, was looking for the right property to get into the category when it found out UFC was available, and a deal was easily worked out.

Work is already underway on THQ’s first UFC title, which is tentatively pencilled in for release in late 2007 or early 2008.

:D I concur your excellency.

As long as it's not just...take down, punch punch, Ive won, I'll be interested.

It'd be pretty cool if they used a fight night style career system too where as you get older you get more broken down and starts are hard to increase. Even better if it took injuries into account, with scars or weak body parts being added as you have more fights.

:D I concur your excellency.

Civ II reference? I hope so.

But, yeah, I've never enjoyed a UFC game before...it's a sport that's fairly difficult to implement into an effective games system, surprisingly, all the games that have come out have just been lacklustre. Hopefully THQ can fix that, but the only frame of reference I've got is Smackdown, and it couldn't really play anything like that...

I could see it work if they did it in a manner similar to Tekken. With the face buttons representing limbs.

Use the shoulder buttons for modifiers, such as for strength of strikes. Hold R1 for a medium strike and R2 for a strong strike, with a regular hit of one of the face buttons being the weakest. A combination of buttons could create different effects. Along with the directions pressed. Use the L1 and L2 for low and high guards respectively.

Obviously that would only work for the striking. But you could work something out of that.

Use a Fight Night style career mode (at least Round 2, the only one I played). Your age and stats change over the course of your career. Training would have to be a big part of the game (at least for me), especially considering the heavy promotion of Ultimate Fighter.

I never played one of the previous UFC games, but I could see something work out if they tried.

Out of all the previous games, the original one was the best with the following titles being near carbon copies.

A UFC game would be tough. You need to fit in one shot knockouts, submissions, clinches and the ground game. You need balance. I hope THQ can pull this off, as a good UFC game would be a welcome addition to my collection.

The UFC titles thus far have been unimpressive. But the Pride FC game I have for PS2 is an awesome multiplayer game. We played it for hours in our second year. The fighters even got their own reputations if you like. Like Igor Vyvchechyn (or something similar, Ukranian bloke) will be forever known as Office Boy due to his boring office-worker photo on the selection screen. And Semmy Schilt will also be "that lanky Dutch bastard."