Shameful Plagiarism

zero

Credit: Zap2It

CBS Sinks Teeth Into Vampire Drama

Still rushing to fill out their development slates, CBS has ordered two drama pilots, while FOX has gone with a pair of single-camera comedies.

According to the industry trade papers, CBS has its eye on "Twilight" from Trevor Munson, Ron Koslow ("Beauty and the Beast") and Joel Silver ("Veronica Mars"). The pilot, set up at Warner Bros. TV, focuses on a vampire who works as a private eye and has a love jones for a mortal woman.

Yes, we liked the show quite a bit when it was called "Angel."

Wow... that's not even trying to hide it. I'd love to see the producers trying to talk their way out of it in an interview. Would remind me of that Vanilla Ice interview when he tries to say the "Ice Ice Baby" sample is different from "Under Pressure."

"Yeah, he's got longer fangs, it's not the same."

"Vampire who does some seemingly normal job that is made exciting by his underworld and/or supernatural connections" and "mortal woman who's got herself wrapped up in all of this somehow" is so astoundingly generic that I'd be hard-pressed to call it a rip off of anything specific. Derivative, yes. Rip off, no.

Edited by stokeriño

"Vampire who does some seemingly normal job that is made exciting by his underworld and/or supernatural connections" and "mortal woman who's got herself wrapped up in all of this somehow" is so astoundingly generic that I'd be hard-pressed to call it a rip off of anything specific. Derivative, yes. Rip off, no.

Yeah a vampire doing something normal and a human getting caught up in it is generic. But it's not like he's a vampire janitor, he's a vampire detective in love with a human woman, which is the exact same thing as Angel. It's not like I'm saying Lost is a ripoff of Gilligan's Island because they're both stories of people being stranded on an island - that's a generic premise.

It would be like saying Angel wasn't inspired by Forever Knight. The only reason Angel wasn't a blatant ripoff was because the character already had three years of history on Buffy of trying to repent for his sins. Putting the detective spin on it was an obvious influence from Forever Knight, that was a derivative - this CBS pilot has no history.

An "astoundingly generic" premise would be Cop Drama, Action Show About Terrorism, or the Lives of People Working In a Hospital. There's nothing generic about Vampire Detective Who Loves a Human.

Edited by Zero

I thought the same thing when I read the premise onn AICN, and yet I hope it makes it to the air. A good vampire show is something I'd like to see. However the proposed comedy/drama CBS has about Zombies and the relationships that are forged and the people that are reunited by it which was also announced at the same time as Forever Angel is something I am totally hoping gets on TV for sure. It sounds so bad it MIGHT be good.

It would be cooler if this was a topic about a show called Shameful Plagiarism.

Not a bad idea. I'm surprised the "Date/Epic/Not Another Teen Movie" people haven't banded together to create "Not Another TV Show," where people stranded on a deserted island have 24 hours to escape or they'll be sacrificed to a tribe of desperate housewives.