What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Jane Lynch is easily one of the best things about Glee; she's brilliant in that. I'd give her credit for Role Models, too. I haven't seen her in anything else, but I see her appeal.

Yeah, she was funny the first time I saw her. Then I saw her again, as the exact same character. Then again. And again. And again. The character isn't even particularly funny, yet she refuses to play anything else. At this point, I consider skipping the episode or part of the film if I see her on my TV.

Last night I watch Up. I haven't been that close to tears with a Disney film since 'Ohana... Means... Family. Family, means nobody gets left behind.' crying.gif

Harper's Island

Finished off watching this earlier. What an amazing series. Lots of twists and turns and it kept me guessing all the way. What made it better was the fact that I guessed wrong as was genuinely surprised by the ending.

There couldn't be a series two I don't think, but I'd love to see something like this again soon.

I watched Aliens Vs. Predator last night.

Now, I love the Aliens franchise, and I'm a big fan of Predator too, which would probably lead the conclusion that I didn't like this film. But truth be told, I don't hate it. I'm not sure I'd go as far to say that I like it, but while it could have been so, so, so much better, I felt it had enough redeeming points that it's a good watch. Then again, I actually liked Aliens 3 and Alien Resurrection, so maybe my opinion is just a moot point. shifty.gif

For starters, you want to talk redeeming factors, how about more Bishop than you can shake a stick at? wub.gif It gave us some backstory (not a great one, mind you) to Charles Weyland Bishop who's a big part of the mythos and one of my personal favourite characters ever, plus Lance Henriksen is a legend. It's just a shame that instead of focusing on him, it focused on some random bird who was annoying as hell. That and it also gives us like 3 other characters with an actual backstory, only to kill them off like it's nothing and man, some of the explanations were awfully done. The whole pyramid is supposed to be like a compilation of three different languages, but this Italian guy understands fucking everything after about a minute of looking at the walls. Not to mention the little romance side story they tried to slot in there.

The main reason I think this film failed though, was because they took the Aliens and the Predator out of the environment they shine best in, two environments that are actually very different. The Aliens are scariest and at their best where they're creeping around dimly lit hallways, crawling through airducts and killing in confined spaces, where as the Predator works best with a huge area with plenty of cover to hide in. The sad part is that even if they had thought about these two facts (and also, Aliens should never be taken out of the future. It's just not as fun without the spaceships and grimey industrial future style) I don't think the film styles would mesh very well any way. The Predator would either easily kill all the Aliens or the Aliens would outnumber the Predator and fuck his shit up. And you can't make either one a good guy, really, because they're both stone cold killers. That's why the main focus of the films were the Marines/Soldiers, because they had to try and survive the onslaught of a much better hunter than them.

In short, the film didn't work, but at the same time an AVP movie probably wouldn't work any way. The styles of the monsters are too different to stay very close to the original, so it results in a pretty blah film with some enjoyable moments. 5.5/10. Without Lance Henriksen it would have been a 3/10 though.

edit: Also, what the fuck was up with the awful as hell costumes? Aliens/Predator did better than that, and those films were made 18/17 years ago!

Solomon Kane - 8/10 I had a whole bunch of fun watching this film. I just really enjoyed it. Some good kickass action and some fun violence. Maybe I'm overselling this one, but I had a real ball watching it. (Y)

I can't wait to see this, was it really good? It looks like Van Helsing done right, and I'm looking forward to seeing it. smile.gif (Note: I loved Van Helsing. >_>)

I just thought it was a fun movie. The trailer had got me hyped; but I still went in with mediocre expectations. It pleasently suprised me. I just got obsorbed in to the fantasy. Was a lot of fun to be involved in a very British Medievil Epic adventure. Solomon's likeable and the action's really fun. It's no oscar film by any means - but just a lot of adrenaline action-packed fun.

I can't stand Jane Lynch.'

This. This. This this this.

God I despise her and her EXACT SAME CHARACTER SHE PLAYS IN EVERYTHING. 40 Year Old Virgin, Two and a Half Men, Role Models etc. I haven't watched Glee because she's in it and it just doesn't appeal to me, but the adverts portray her character as being the exact same one she plays in every other film, the pseudo-butch-lesbian-but-not-actually-a-butch-lesbian role. Fuck I hate her.

• Like 1

I can't stand Jane Lynch.'

This. This. This this this.

God I despise her and her EXACT SAME CHARACTER SHE PLAYS IN EVERYTHING. 40 Year Old Virgin, Two and a Half Men, Role Models etc. I haven't watched Glee because she's in it and it just doesn't appeal to me, but the adverts portray her character as being the exact same one she plays in every other film, the pseudo-butch-lesbian-but-not-actually-a-butch-lesbian role. Fuck I hate her.

Combined with your love of Cobie Smulders, I just reserved a place in my heart for you, TMW. wub.gif

Alice In Wonderland 7/10 Fun film. Depp was a lot of fun as The Mad Hatter and there was nice spots. The 3D looked pretty sexy, too.

Awesome to see that atleast its a good sit though, I have to watch it for my Art class.

Watch the alien quadroligy over the past week this movies aged well and are still really 1st two especially aliens are great really still stand up to todays standards, while the 3rd one wasn't bad, it wasn't great either, and as for reseurection it should stayed dead awful story what the fuck was ripley at all alien,human, bit of both?

Alien Resurrection was fine. It was by no means anywhere near as good as the others, but people treat it like it was a piece of shit, which it wasn't. It didn't compare to the rest by a long shot, but it was a fine attempt at recapturing the feel of Aliens and apart from Winoa Ryder, it had a pretty fun cast too. Is it the worst in the series? Yes. Is it a terrible film? No. Not by a long shot.

Combined with your love of Cobie Smulders, I just reserved a place in my heart for you, TMW. wub.gif

If Lynch shows up in HIMYM, I riot. :angry:

The only people that can take screen time away from Cobie is Barney Stinson himself. Or possibly any of the other 3 on a good day.