What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

The 40 Year Old Virgin: 9/10

The Best Comedy of The year. A Hilarious movie with heart.

Guest Sesame Seed

poster.jpg

Best film at the cinema at the moment, one of the best of the year. The only question I have on my lips is how many Oscars, as I am guessing at LEAST five (Best Actress, Best Actor in a Leading Role, Best Actress in a Leading Role, Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Photography, Best Screenplay) Fucking fantastic, I highly reccommend it. Forget Rocky, Million Dollar Baby and even Raging Bull. This is the cinema moment of 2005 so far. *****

Training Day 8/10

Good film, great performances. Slightly long for what it is, and a few unnecessary scenes make it sligthly tedious in places, but on the whole, its a very good film.

Saw the Transporter 2 right after work on Friday.

The plot is way too unbelievable and the dialogue is just awful.

Statham: "Your flight's been cancelled."

Bad Guy: "Now you're cancelled." made us laugh out loud.

The action is downright slick though so it made for good fun. The only downside to the action is that the car chase scenes were not as slick as the first one. In the first one it was all about finesse in how he dodged traffic. In this one it relied on too much computer effects so you really have to suspend a lot of disbelief to enjoy this film.

Then again, I watch WWE. <_<

B0002YLC24.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Before Sunset - 8/10

Boy, that Richard Linklater's unique, ain't he? After a brief flirtation with commecial success with School of Rock, he goes back to his true indie roots with the sequel to the highly acclaimed Before Sunrise, Before Sunset. Similar to the fantastic elements of discussion created in its predecessor, this film creates an interesting discussion of love, what love is, and how two very different people view love and their lives at the present state. It's also obvious how much of a personal bond to the work leads Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy have, though, they probably should considering they both worked on the screenplay. And it is with this intimacy that Before Sunset carries you through its brisk run time. If there's any problem with the film, it is perhaps that the run time is too short. The film seems to finish too short as just when you get a bond towards the reunion of Hawke's Jesse and Delpy's Celine, the movie ends. Still, Before Sunset manages to continue what made the first film great while answering questions about the fates of the characters from the first. Linklater creates another masterful work to add to his other great indie film masterpieces.

B00003CXLM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Pokemon the Movie 2000 - 3/10

I really can't get into a review for this particular feature, but let's just say that awful music doesn't help a cheesy ass storyline. And I also can't believe I liked this shit when I was a child (well, 10-year-old anyway), either. Though, Psyduck does own...

B00007L4KI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Rules of Attraction - 9/10

A numb feeling came over critics as they panned this one in the past and audiences ignored it in the future. Yet despite these marks, there's something enthralling in this feature. Writer/director Roger Avary, known for pushing the cinematic limits of the 90s with features like Killing Zoe and Pulp Fiction, goes for something entirely different than anyone has ever seen before in a film with his take on the dark satire from Bret Easton Ellis. Avary often bounces around the material, going from morbidly disturbing scenes to laugh-out-loud hilarity, often within minutes of each other. And it works. Avary even manages to get good performances from young actors like James Van Der Beek, Shannyn Sossamon, and Ian Somerhalder (though, anyone who's watched Lost is probably not surprised that Somerhalder's good). Avary must also be credited for a solid selection of music and nifty use of the camera, especially in the Victor in Europe sequence. This is clearly not a flick for everyone, as seen by the miniscule box office and the mixed reaction of it. But if you are a fan of Ellis's satirical novels or are just tired of the tired formulas Hollywood likes to embrace, this should be up your alley.

B00002E285.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Pink Floyd: The Wall: 8/10

Reign Of Fire

Was on TV tonight.

Christian Bale was great in it, Matt McCounaghy was nicely different from the usual but it's gritty start became vaguely over-cheesed unfortunately, even though it was shot well.

From the weapons, mentality, equipment, costumes etc it was clearly a World War 2 film from both points of view.

To start with, the Germans (dragons) bombarding the UK but the UK holding strong under cautious but stiff-upper lip control (that was a US view - we weren't cautious) and then Hollywood-esque US coming in, taking the fight to the dragons while whooping and cheering with superior weapons, but then realising they'd screwed it up and shoulda listened to the Brits.

So yeah, seemed WWII at the time.

Anyway, worthy of a 6.5/10 cos I'm feeling generous, and it was a good idea.