"Zeitgeist" Discussion.

ROC

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Pomp & Circumstance should be instrumental. Bleeding The Orchid should have been left on the cutting room floor, and as a "live show staple" sort-of song. That's The Way (My Love Is) is awful, in my opinion. Honestly, there's some filler songs on here that could have been cut to make way for a studio version of Gossamer.

Is anyone (in the US) going to the upcoming tour? I desperately need to know if Ticketmaster is selling tickets for the tour, because, for ONCE, Nashville is getting a good concert. :D And it's the last show of the North American tour. ^_^

Pomp & Circumstance should be instrumental. Bleeding The Orchid should have been left on the cutting room floor, and as a "live show staple" sort-of song. That's The Way (My Love Is) is awful, in my opinion. Honestly, there's some filler songs on here that could have been cut to make way for a studio version of Gossamer.

Is anyone (in the US) going to the upcoming tour? I desperately need to know if Ticketmaster is selling tickets for the tour, because, for ONCE, Nashville is getting a good concert. :D And it's the last show of the North American tour. ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

So I picked up the Pumpkins return album, and I must say, it was better than I had expected. After lackluster efforts from The Stooges and Bad Brains, I was expecting this return to be half-assed as well but Coragan and the gang (Minus James Iha) did a good fucking job. I boguht tickets to their show here in Las Vegas, and I am extremely excited. I had heard that Coragan was trying to be a little bit more optomistic and happy when writing the lyrics for this one, but listening to it makes me happy to know that Billy is just as depressed as hes always been.

****1/2

Key Tracks:

Doomsday Clock

Tarantula

Bleeding The Orchid

For God and Country

I tried to get tickets to the Boston show but the only ones left were balcony seats on a Tuesday night, so I wasn't that interested. I'm probably going to try and score some better ones if I can, but we'll see.

I just wanted to comment on the song Tarantula right quick.

I used to be a huge Pumpkins fan back in the old days, probably until I hit the 9th grade or so. I loved Siamese Dream, and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness to a lesser degree. I was a huge fan of the box set that they released, which had some great material on it, especially the Zero album.

With that said, the new song wasn't too bad, but it sort of reminds me of why I am no longer a true fan of the Pumpkins. I've grown beyond that alternative rock sound, it just doesn't do it for me. Corgan's vocals became grating the more I listened, and the music in general just didn't have that "something" that I find in rock. I probably completely lost interest by the time Machina had been released, though it wasn't that particular album that killed my interest.

Still, I've been wanting to break Siamese Dream out lately, because I really loved the song "Quiet". I've heard some great live versions of it, and there's also an excellent accoustic version of "Cherub Rock" floating around. It's from 1993 on some MTV Europe broadcast. I saw it for the first time on this old VHS covering Siamese Dream that my cousin had.

Sorry for the diatribe, but the Smashing Pumpkins have been on my mind lately.

Edited by VerbalPuke