US Soccer Thread

Green Demon

Well I figured that I would make this thread with the upcoming friendlies and then the CONCACAF Gold Cup, which shouldnt be much of a competition and then for the first time in a while the US team will be participating in the Copa America tournament, where they will get to face some of the top teams in South America.

Today they are playing Ecuador, who I would probably put as a higher quality, not at the higher level but they made it to the World Cup final last time around and most of thier team is playing against most of our team from the world cup. The story so far though has been how Landon Donavon has played today. With still about 10 minuates to go he has a hat trick and even had the possiblilty of a couple more goals so he has been having a great game, granted it is just a friendly but the US should win this game 3-1. Too bad that he wasnt playing at this level last summer but it is good to see that he can play at a higher level.

It should be good for this team to actually face some tougher competition this summer in South America, with them being in the Copa America group with Argentina, Paraguay, and Colombia, in between the World Cups alike they have been in recent years. There is also a rumored friendly with the Socceroos later this summer which should be fun to see.

Donovan seems to be inconstent on the National team he had a good World Cup in 02 and then bascially disappeared after that really, and really didnt show up for the 06 Cup which contributed to us not doing well. It seems that when he is agressive like he has been the past two games he is able to create oppurtunites and he is usually able to finish, he is a very good player when he decides to push it forward like he has shown.

I also got to say that I like the young midfield that we have coming up in Bradley and Feilhaber they were able to recieve from the back and bring the ball up and get it to Donovan or create oppurtuites themselves. I hope they countiue to get sometime and it is good that both of them are playing in Europe as well since that should countiue to help their development.

Howard was also able to make some pretty good saves espesially the first one he made at the beginning of the game. It is good to se that he will be playing full time now too with Everton since that will be better then sitting on the bench like he had been at Man Utd.

Guest Ringu

He played badly for his first few games, which is understandable, but then was benched and threw a fit, which really got on the nerves of everyone around. The problem with Donovan is that he's a bit of a primadonna and he was always going to struggle in a physical and technical league like the Bundesliga. If he had moved to Spain or Italy, he could have had moderate success there as a winger.

And Canada beat Bermuda 3-0 away. Even Stalteri scored!

For anyone that really cares I was able to find the goal highlights from the Ecuador game on youtube so if anyone wants to see basically Donovon's three goals here they are Goal highlights . I gotta say that the last goal was pretty impressive for me but I just hope that he countiues his play more then anything.

Next up tommorrow is Guatemala for the US, and it really should be just a game where Bradley will be able to experiment a bit more then he has been in the past few games since we should be able to beat Guatemala fairly easily. I am hoping to catch the game but since it isnt on till 9 tommorrow night that might be a bit hard to do.

I know that there were alot of fans over here hoping for Jurgen Klingsmen as the next US coach but since he has turned down the job I hope that they give Bob Bradley a chance since it seems like the team has been developing well under him so far and he still hasnt lost a game, not that it matters much since it has just been friendlies. This summers tournaments will likely what his future is based on and I am hoping that he sticks around.

Yeah the US defiantly had some chances espesially at the end of the game but just werent able to put it in. Along with the notes that you mentioned it didnt help that Guatemala was basically coming into this game looking to not lose and showed that by having most of thier team in the box for most of the game when we were attacking. Now along with having little room for error because of the full box, having a bunch of younger guys getting a chance to play for the first time along with some other guys that havent been with the team that long yet it made for some sloppy play and unfinished chances.

I liked what I saw from Mapp for the part of the game that I was able to catch, he may have been getting pretty well defended but he was able to use his speed a few times and create some chances and he also had the best chance in the game when he just put the ball a foot outside the post near the end of the game.

I am kinda of dissapointed that the US doesnt have another friendly till June just before the Gold Cup, but with the tournaments this upcoming summer I am defiantly looking forward to seeing how the US can perform against better competition.

Nil draw. Hahahahahaha.

Okay, a few notes about that match:

1. Guatemala came out looking to play rough. My friend counted six separate occasions when a red card would not have been an overreaction, and yet no fouls were given (in one case, the foul was given against the US player being kicked!). For the record, the referee was from Mexico.

2. The US was playing a very young lineup, featuring six guys who had only a handful of caps. DeMerit, Bradley, and Spector all played decently, and the US had a slew of chances that a more experienced team (such as the one for the Gold Cup) would finish. Keller was practically wasted in goal -- he did a lot of nothing all day.

3. In addition to being rough-housing, Guatemala played negatively. Ruiz was booed off the field by the Dallas fans... and he plays for Dallas at the club level! Guatemala decided to beat up the US and hold out for a draw. They did. Stupid ref.

This is why I love American fans, always got an excuse. (Y) Or three.

Nil draw. Hahahahahaha.

1. Guatemala came out looking to play rough. My friend counted six separate occasions when a red card would not have been an overreaction, and yet no fouls were given (in one case, the foul was given against the US player being kicked!). For the record, the referee was from Mexico.

2. The US was playing a very young lineup, featuring six guys who had only a handful of caps. DeMerit, Bradley, and Spector all played decently, and the US had a slew of chances that a more experienced team (such as the one for the Gold Cup) would finish. Keller was practically wasted in goal -- he did a lot of nothing all day.

3. In addition to being rough-housing, Guatemala played negatively. Ruiz was booed off the field by the Dallas fans... and he plays for Dallas at the club level! Guatemala decided to beat up the US and hold out for a draw. They did. Stupid ref.

Guest Ringu

Nil draw. Hahahahahaha.

Nil draw. Hahahahahaha.

Nil draw. Hahahahahaha.

So basically this is a situation like the penalty conspiracy which saw Portugal beat England at the World Cup?