Official NFL 2007 Thread

ACCBiggz

We somehow managed to get to the play offs, which at the start of the season I didn't expect in my wildest dreams so to even reach them makes me pleased.

What I love though is that 'America's Team', 'The Best NFC team', 'The only NFC team with a shot' has been dumped by the Giants. Now sorry to the likes of AD, you're a swell guy and this isn't aimed at you, but the majority of Cowboys fans I know are utter cocks and are more the reason I despise that team than the players themselves - so sorry your team hasn't made it AD, however to 90% of the Cowboys fans - get the fuck in.

Now I don't have to root for the Patriots in the Superbowl, and I would absolutely fucking love to be able to back Brett Favre, my favourite player (now that Sean Taylor's gone) he was the first player I remember seeing when watching NFL so there isn't much more I'd love than to cheer of Favre in a Superbowl - here's to hoping the Packers can make it.

Wait, Billy Volek drives the Chargers for the winning score over the reigning Super Bowl champions, and yet they have less of a chance against the Patriots than a Jacksonville team that has no idea how to catch a ball? I'm not saying I expect the Chargers to win, but I can't believe they're being written off so easily when Jacksonville were the sexy pick to beat New England, and San Diego has beaten the reigning champions twice this year.

You do realize that Rivers, LT AND Gates are all seriously banged up right? If you flipped it so that it was Brady, Maroney and Moss that weren't at 100%, I don't think too many people would be picking the Pats to win against a 100% Chargers team. San Diego matches up well with the Colts, but not the Pats so the fact they've beaten Indy twice really doesn't say anything about their ability to beat the Pats.

The Chargers played probably the most important part of the Cotls game without Rivers, LT and Gates. Sure they're big losses but I think they've shown that they have decent replacements. I'm not confident of Volek playing well for a whole game but it looks like Rivers is fine anyway. Michael Turner is probably the best back-up in the league and Chris Chambers and Vincent Jackson are playing well right now so the need to rely on Gates so much isn't as high.

Yeah, they better be splitting time between Turner and LT if they want to have any chance of winning. But its Norv Turner, so I'm expecting 57 pass attempts

I predict that if LT can play (I fully expect him to, btw, regardless of his injury; it is the AFC Championship afterall) that they will use all 3 RB's to keep them fresh and to create possible mismatches and to generally just have more playmakers out on the field. I think Norv's done a tremendous job play calling so far in the playoffs but this week is will be tough for him and it'll be interesting to see how he does against Belicheck.

The Chargers' biggest problem isn't injuries or anything like that. Their biggest problem is their head coach. Norv Turner you can kind of let slide when it comes to his time with the Raiders (because there the head coach is just Al Davis' mouthpiece, more or less - that's why Gruden left and went to the Bucs when he did), but he was horrible with the Redskins. The Bolts are winning despite their head coach, not because of him.

After Turner is eventually fired, I'd like to see another team (as long as its not the Cowboys or Titans!) sign him as their head coach then trade for Rex Grossman to be their starting QB. That team would make this season's Dolphins look like the `72 team unless they have a really solid defense and a pretty good O-line.

Wait, Billy Volek drives the Chargers for the winning score over the reigning Super Bowl champions, and yet they have less of a chance against the Patriots than a Jacksonville team that has no idea how to catch a ball? I'm not saying I expect the Chargers to win, but I can't believe they're being written off so easily when Jacksonville were the sexy pick to beat New England, and San Diego has beaten the reigning champions twice this year.

Yeah but the playcalling was a lot different on both sides of the ball (especially defense; they had Merriman drop back into coverage too much where he should be rushing the passer on a majority of passing downs) and not to mention that Antonio Cromartie (who will be going up against Moss this Sunday) wasn't even in the starting lineup until week 10. Also, not to mention that they didn't have Chris Chambers at the time and both he and Vincent Jackson are both performing well in the playoffs.

In other news, the Dolphins finally made Sparano their head coach. I think he'll help them but I don't know enough about him to accurately predict how well he'll do.

Edited by Disco King

Yeah San Diego can offensively match up well with the Pats, if they do it right. They should come up with a couple of formation that use all 3 of the RBs, maybe run LT at TE and have Turner and Sproles as split backs. You could attack alot of ways from that formation and it'd be hard for the Pats to ever be prepared for it.

Defensively they have to lock down Moss and disrupt the short passing game. Jacksonville locked down Moss but allowed Brady to sit there and toss short passes over and over and it killed them. San Diego has to disrupt that or they won't have much of a chance either. I do think they have a slighty better chance than most people are giving them.

Yeah San Diego can offensively match up well with the Pats, if they do it right. They should come up with a couple of formation that use all 3 of the RBs, maybe run LT at TE and have Turner and Sproles as split backs. You could attack alot of ways from that formation and it'd be hard for the Pats to ever be prepared for it.

Defensively they have to lock down Moss and disrupt the short passing game. Jacksonville locked down Moss but allowed Brady to sit there and toss short passes over and over and it killed them. San Diego has to disrupt that or they won't have much of a chance either. I do think they have a slighty better chance than most people are giving them.

The Jags had a better chance of beating New England if the weather wasn't perfect but seeing as how the only thing that even remotely affected either team was the cold and even then that wasn't that big of an issue, their chances diminished.

San Diego has a lot more offensive weapons than Jacksonville and their defense can generate more pressure on the pocket than Jacksonville's as well. It's not going to be easy, that's for sure, but they do have a better offense than Jacksonville and a defense that is almost as good, maybe even better given the injuries on Jacksonville's defense when they played the Patriots.

Edited by Disco King

I think everyone will tell you the Jags had a better chance of beating The Patriots then San Diego did and NE still managed to win.

On a note that's not just Pepsi wanking over the Patriots, I've got to decide my keepers for next year. Give me some pointers.

Team 1 has Derek Anderson, Jay Cutler, Ben Roethlisberger, Jay Cutler, Willie Parker, Maurice Jones-Drew, Torry Holt, Vincent Jackson, Laveranues Coles, Kellen Winslow and Owen Daniels, of which I have to pick three, which is a bastard hard decision. Quarterback-wise, the choice is between Horse Balls and roflsburger, rusher-wise, it's between Parker, Jones-Drew or both (I start two) but I may also keep Holt or Winslow - Winslow's actually averaged 16.94 points per game, more than anyone else except Horse Balls and Rofls. I'm probably going to go with Anderson, Winslow and one of the rushers, but I can't choose which.

Team 2 has Tom Brady, Steven Jackson, Earnest Graham, Ted Ginn, Calvin Johnson, Sidney Rice, Lee Evans, the Raiders defense and the Ravens defense. The choice here, much easier as I have to pick four - currently, it's Brady, Jackson, Johnson and the Ravens defense. Convince me otherwise.

Wasn't it Week 2 when the Pats beat a healthy SD team like 38-14?

Team 1 has Derek Anderson, Jay Cutler, Ben Roethlisberger, Jay Cutler, Willie Parker, Maurice Jones-Drew, Torry Holt, Vincent Jackson, Laveranues Coles, Kellen Winslow and Owen Daniels,

But does it have Jay Cutler?