Rock Band

Fanku Kaibutsu

posted this in the XBox Live thread and this one.

probably a stupid question.

I'm new to XBox Live, just signed up, and had a question about downloading content. I see on the XBox Live website that there are numerous song packs for Guitar Hero and Rock Band but they don't show up on my XBox Live screen. Did the opportunity to download those song packs expire or is there something I'm missing?

God damn teasing bastards.

Having a date (finally) is a relief but is pretty useless without a price, which I am dreading. Hopefully we will get a lot of info today and/or the next few days.

This is what I got off of there.

Perhaps more disappointing is the price: unlike the US, which received a Special Edition that includes the game, a Fender Strat guitar, the drum kit and a mic, all for $169 – Europe will only get an Instrument Edition priced £129.99 / 169 Euros, including the three peripherals but not the game – which, bought separately, will set you back £49.99 / 69.99 Euros. So, if you want the proper Rock Band experience, the minimum you're going to have to shell out is around £180 / 240 Euros.

Quite why EA has decided to release the Instrument Pack without the game is anyone's guess, although it's likely retailers will bundle the two together, if not at launch then hopefully shortly after. In addition, wireless guitars will be available separately for the princely sum of £59.99 / 79.99 Euros, with standalone drum kits setting you back £69.99 / 89.99 Euros.

I think in the case of the PS3 the GH Guitar works only with GH3 and the RB Guitar only works with RB. Don't know if things will change for Europe, if this is anything to go by I highly doubt it. Why let you soften the blow of their money grabbing by letting you play with a GH Guitar you might already have?

On the 360 I could use the GH Guitar and the Wired Mic that comes with the system and just get the game but I don't think I will if this is all true. I was looking forward to the drums and I don't want to give them any of my money if they think £180 is a fair price.

£180 was my top-end estimate a while back (with £150 being my conservative estimate).

I hate it when my cynicism is proved right. <_<

(Incidentally, £180 = $360 = 211% of the US $169 price. There's just no shame, is there?)

Edited by stokeriño

Fuck. That. I'll stick to Guitar Hero thanks. Even though I've already got both a wired and wireless guitars and the 360 headset (which I assume will all work) and will therefore only need the drums and the game, there's no fucking way I'm giving them any money. That's insane pricing.

The thing is, I could probably afford to buy Rock Band if I made the effort. But I don't think I would be able to live with the feeling of monumental waste - like a pang of guilt - knowing that I'd spent that much on one game.

That's an XBox 360 Arcade bundle pack.

60% of a PS3.

Roughly nine TV series boxsets on DVD.

More than five brand new normal console games at high street prices.

Argh. I hadn't really grasped the expense when I was just speculating about the price months ago, but now that it's sitting there, confirmed, in front of me, the sheer scope of it just keeps on resonating.

So, to join the chorus:

Fuck.

That.

I concur. Originally, I was considering getting the whole thing except maybe the mic - my Xplorer is getting a bit worn down now - but if they want us to pay DOUBLE what the Americans are, fuck that shit right up the ass. I will get the game, but I will be fucked if I'm getting anything else.