Official NFL Games Thread

Scarface

I'm sorry but i'm going to doubt this until its officially announced. I like Vince young, but i don't tink he should get the cover this early in his career. I mean, to get the cover and thus almost certainly risk a serious season/career ending injury after only his rookie season? Its just not right...

plus, if the new rumored feature of "clutch" players is true, Ithink there are far better choices for the cover..Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Adam Viniteri, Tony Romo (an example of what NOT to do in a clutch situation..don't drop the snap..)

I mean, to get the cover and thus almost certainly risk a serious season/career ending injury after only his rookie season?

You've got to be fucking kidding me. The risk of him getting injured is the same as if he is not to be on the cover, there is no curse upon the cover. Also, Eddie George says hi.

Eddie George who had a costly fumble in the AFC championship game the year he was on the cover and then his career went to shit?

Everyone says there's no curse every year and yet every year the person on the cover gets injured. Hence I won't be suprised if Vince Young goes down with a season ending injury if he is indeed the cover athelete.

While Ray didn't get injured till the end of the year, the Ravens only won 6 games.

Edited by Maxx

The curse doesn't mean shit. It's a retarded concept to get people talking. Football players get hurt, that's part of the game. High profile players are starters, playing 16+ games a year and you're bound to get hurt.

As a matter of fact, Vince will be the one to actually "break" this silly thing. He's a 2nd year player, youngest guy on the cover from what I recall. All the other players were in their later years.

Edited by Scarface

While Ray didn't get injured till the end of the year, the Ravens only won 6 games.

ZOMG RAVENS LOST GAMES MUST BE CURSE

ZOMG SEAHAWKS LOST GAMES MUST BE CURSE

ZOMG INDY DIDNT WIN SUPERBOWL MUST BE CURSE

The curse, like every curse in sports, is a sackload of retarded shit - that one time some hockey player touched his conference's trophy when his team won, they went on to lose the Stanley Cup, but rather than accept the opponents were just better, everyone went "OMGOMGOMTGOHGERDUIGSERIODTGJO3EPDRJ CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURSE". It's just retarded.

There are so many better cover athletes. If not LT, maybe Drew Brees, he had a season that would of been a MVP season if it wasn't for the history making season LT had. What about Peyton or even Marvin Harrison would be a better cover athlete.

Neither Peyton nor LT can be a cover athlete. LT was already approached this year, and I think one before. He has a deal with another company that prevents him from being on the cover, same for Manning.

ZOMG RAVENS LOST GAMES MUST BE CURSE

ZOMG SEAHAWKS LOST GAMES MUST BE CURSE

ZOMG INDY DIDNT WIN SUPERBOWL MUST BE CURSE

The curse, like every curse in sports, is a sackload of retarded shit - that one time some hockey player touched his conference's trophy when his team won, they went on to lose the Stanley Cup, but rather than accept the opponents were just better, everyone went "OMGOMGOMTGOHGERDUIGSERIODTGJO3EPDRJ CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURSE". It's just retarded.

I mean, to get the cover and thus almost certainly risk a serious season/career ending injury after only his rookie season?

You've got to be fucking kidding me. The risk of him getting injured is the same as if he is not to be on the cover, there is no curse upon the cover. Also, Eddie George says hi.

Eddie George did have a bad year that year. One of the guys to disprove the myth, IMO, is Ray Lewis. He played most of the year and only got hurt at the end and it wasn't a serious injury and if he had gotten hurt earlier on in the season he wouldn't have been out for the year IIRC.

But Vince Young makes a fine cover guy, even if there are more deserving out there (LT, LJ, and a host of QBs), but he should be fine.

While he didn't get seriousl;y hurt, the Ravens only went 6-10, and its been Lewis's only season where he didn't record even a single INT

I actually called it a few weeks ago that Vince Young would be the cover athlete.

Looking back at the previous Madden's I noticed a pattern. Let's look.

Before 2001, it was always just John Madden on the cover.

2001 Eddie George

2002 Daunte Culpepper

2003 Marshall Faulk

2004 Michael Vick

2005 Ray Lewis

2006 Donovan McNabb

2007 Shaun Alexander

What do the even years, (2002,2004,2006) have in common? Not only are they always quarterbacks, but they're always African-American QBs who many feel are potential playmakers. Also nobody has ever been on the cover twice. Thus, the only choice that would continue the pattern was Vince Young.

2009, a running back (maybe LT) is a safe bet, though they could mix it up and throw in a defensive player, but in 2010, I all but guarantee it will be a quarterback.

And I doubt that they pick the cover athlete based on the color of skin either. While it's a nice coincidence, when those QB's were on the cover, it was height of their success/popularity. I do think that there is a slight pattern in that they want a QB every other year, but I highly doubt they take into account the player's skin color.