Songs that rip off other songs

Crybaby Bunting

I was just listening to Radioheads 'The Bends' the other day when it hit me that 'spirit street(fade out)' sounded almost exactly like System of a Downs 'Lost in Hollywood'. So yeah, SOAD are lying cheating stealing pigs etc. <_<

So it made me think, do you know any songs that sound almost identical to something else, intentional or not?

I know plenty of songs in my cd collection that are identical to something else but can't think of any examples at the moment

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smells Like Teen Spirit / More Than A Feeling is another obvious one.

Everett True = God for pointing that out.

On the Nirvana front, "Come As You Are" is a really blatant rip off of "The Eighties" by Killing Joke.

And the most obvious one of all would be "Cigarettes & Alcohol" by Oasis and "Get It On" by T-Rex.

A lot of early Led Zeppelin stuff "borrowed" quite liberally from a lot of blues and folk artists, yet was usually credited to Jimmy Page.

Edited by Atrocity Exhibition

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Not exactly an answer to this, but just about all BTO songs sound fairly interchangable (Let it Ride/Hey You/You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet for a good example).

After downloading More Than A Feeling... What exactly sounds like Smells Like Teen Spirit? I see the Eighties/Come As You Are thing though. I don't really see the Imagine/DLBIA one either, but I can kinda see where it's coming from.

Edited by - Matt -

I'm am glad that Skummy and I share the love for Everett True, as has been brought up before.

I have enormous levels of love for Everett True, partly for statements such as "What, you mean 'More Than A Feeling' with the words changed?", partly for "Careless Talk Costs Lives", mostly for Plan B, but also largely for lyrics as amazing as those featured in my signature.

To be honest, the melody reminds me more of Jesus Don't Want Me For A Sunbeam... More the Vaselines version than Nirvana's. I can sort of see where your coming from now though, I wouldn't say it's a rip off however, they're just similar.

EDIT: Missing by Beck reminds me of something... Can't quite put my finger on it.

Edited by - Matt -

Yeah, I doubt it was ever an intentional rip-off, for starters Kurt has gone on record as saying that he was trying to write a Pixies song when he wrote "...Teen Spirit", they just happen to both use a fairly generic rock riff, it's just that Nirvana made it the prominent lead part of their song, when it probably pops up all over the place as a bridge or whatever.

Doesn't really count but all Kaiser Chiefs songs sound very similar... All great songs... But they're awfully similar to one another.

And Skummy, I thought you were originally implying Cobain intentionally stole More Than A Feeling to make his song. Also is your sig supposed to mean anything?

As for If 6 Were 9 and Thank You... I don't really think so, the lyrics are similar initially, then again, if we're going on lyrics, I could find a thousand songs that are similar to others.