The 50 Albums Project.

ROC

So, I'm in the boring days of spring, going into summer and I needed something to do. That and a lot of my friends and family forced into downloading popular stuff, so now I'm semi curious as I don't really try to listen to too much popular music and I prefer to know what's sort of going on in this scene. Thus, I begin the 50 Project. I will review the current 50 best selling albums of the year (in the US, ya Limeys) and then spit whatever venom I can at it.

Here is the list of albums (and their sales) going into this thing. Oh, and this chart is accurate up to April 3rd, so no Avril or Year Zero, but since I'd rather avoid the former and already reviewed the latter, that's probably a good thing. But any, the list:

/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=52808&view=findpost&p=1125951">1. Norah Jones - Not Too Late - 6/10

/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=52808&view=findpost&p=1127306">2. Daughtry - Daughtry - 2/10

/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=52808&view=findpost&p=1128258">3. Akon - Konvicted - 4/10

4. Fall Out Boy - Infinity on High - 7/10

5. Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds - 7/10

6. Robin Thicke - The Evolution of Robin Thicke - 6/10

7. Corinne Bailey Rae - Corinne Bailey Rae - 7.5/10

8. Nickelback - All the Right Reasons - 3/10

9. Dreamgirls Soundtrack - 5/10

10. Carrie Underwood - Some Hearts - 2/10

11. Nelly Furtado - Loose - 5/10

12. Various - Grammy Nominees 2007 - 5/10

13. Fergie - The Dutchess - 6/10

14. Rascal Flatts - Me and My Gang - 1.5/10

15. John Mayer - Continuum - 7/10

16. Gwen Stefani - The Sweet Escape - 4.5/10

17. Pretty Ricky - Late Night Special - 1.5/10

18. Linkin Park - Minutes to Midnight - 6.5/10

19. Maroon 5 - It Won't Be Soon Before Long - 5/10

20. Tim McGraw - Let It Go - 4.5/10

21. The Shins - Wincing the Night Away - 7.5/10

22. Hannah Montana Soundtrack - 2/10

23. Hinder - Extreme Behavior - 2.5/10

24. Gerald Levert - In My Songs - 7/10

25. Rihanna - Good Girl Gone Bad - 7/10

26. Jump In Soundtrack - 2.5/10

27. Celtic Woman - A New Journey - 3/10

28. Dixie Chicks - Taking the Long Way - 6.5/10

29. The Fray - How to Save a Life - 3.5/10

30. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium - 6/10

31. Taylor Swift - Taylor Swift - 2/10

32. Musiq Soulchild - Luvanmusiq - 6/10

33. Lloyd - Street Love - 3/10

34. My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade - 5/10

35. T.I. - T.I. Vs. T.I.P. - 7.5/10

36. Katharine McPhee - Katharine McPhee - 3/10

37. Keith Urban - Love, Pain and The Whole Crazy Thing- 5/10

38. Ciara - The Evolution - 3.5/10

39. Nas - Hip Hop Is Dead - 8.5/10

40. Lily Allen - Alright, Still - 7/10

41. Rodney Atkins - If You're Going Through Hell - 2.5/10

42. Rich Boy - Rich Boy - 5.5/10

43. Evanescence - The Open Door - 3/10

44. Joss Stone - Introducing Joss Stone - 5/10

45. Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank - 8/10

46. Kelly Clarkson - My December - 8/10

47. Mary J. Blige - Reflections: A Retrospective - 171,224

48. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible - 163,545

49. 30 Seconds to Mars - A Beautiful Lie - 161,852

50. Beatles - Love - 160,906

Edited by ROC

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51DEHDyN06L._SS500_.jpg

1. Norah Jones - Not Too Late

Release Date: January 30, 2007

The highest selling female artist of the 21st century and one who has impressed millions of fans, Norah Jones brings her very very simple approach to her third full length, Not Too Late. While some would define it as a statement on the release date, three and a half years after her last CD, Feels Like Home, it more describes Jones's laid back attitude, one that both makes for a pleasant experience, but veers the CD towards boring territory.

The opener, "Wish I Could", brings flashbacks to FLH in that it's a decent song number and one only run through a light guitar. However, "Sinkin' Soon", is the first real standout of the album, with it's KT Tunstall meets Broadway musical setup. "Until The End" also has a similar FLH-style setup and works. However, the album's biggest flaw is that while all the songs have the same pleasant flow, others ("Thinking About You", "Wake Me Up", "Little Room") work well, while a few ("Rosie's Lullaby", "Me Dear Country") feel like an exercise in tedium. The album's title track finale brings to an end the type of CD that's good for a Sunday afternoon drive, but not really one that you want to repeat so much. However, as I shall learn, you can do worse with a best-selling record.

Rating: 6/10

Must Haves: "Thinking About You", "Sinkin' Soon", "Wake Me Up"

At first I was quite displeased with your rating of Jones'. But the more I thought about it, I realised I haven't listened to the album in 2+ months. It's pretty much your standard Jones' affair, but with more original compositions. It's sweet, but nothing overtly memorable. I'm not sure if I'd rate it in the 6 or 7's, but I doubt I'd put it any higher. My problem is that I tend to rate the artist, as apposed to the actual CD. As, I'd rate Jones up there as say an 8/9 artist. So I have to stop myself from putting all her releases at that level. Yeah, it's good. But nothing groundbreaking.

Hopefully you keep this up.

51JFTRTGM3L._SS400_.jpg

2. Daughtry - Daughtry

Release Date: November 21, 2006

In the late 70s/early 80s, there were the rock bands who kicked ass and took names. You had your KISSes and your AC/DCs, and if you were more trippy, your Pink Floyds. Then, there were the pile of shit bands whose only reason for existing seemed to be to make pop songs with that minor "rock" edge. (I.E. Def Leppard or Bad Company) As in turns out, fifth place American Idol contestant Chris Daughtry's new album now has an infamous place with those bands, only his effort proves to be a lot worse (plus, no fun sexual references).

To begin the album is "It's Not Over", a song that is annoyingly stuck in your head. Y'know, the type of song that makes you want to commit suicide over not wanting to hear it another goddamn time. However, that shit's like heavy Breaking Benjamin compared to tracks 2-9, a mostly skipworthy affair of poppy, cheesy songs thrown together with rock chords. Track 7 is "What I Want", which features Slash, and still manages to incite no fun rock moments. It's sad when the latest Hinder or Nickelback has you beat on rock out moments, and only one other one appears in the album's only good track "There And Back Again". On the upside, Daughtry's young, so maybe when that inevitable follow-up comes out, he'll learn that maybe whining about what your girlfriend did last night will sound a lot better if there's more pulsating guitars. Maybe?

Rating: 2/10

Must Haves Songs That Didn't Suck: "There and Back Again"

Edited by ROC

Guest mAXi

I completely agree with your review of "Not Too Late". I haven't actually got the album but have listened to it with a friend who owns a copy. The first time i listened i was with said friend just studying and i really, really loved it. It's great 'background music', the kind of music that is great when you aren't giving it your full attention. I liked it so much, she let me borrow it so i could listen to it at home. A day later and i listened to it with my headphones, just lying on the couch and yeah, it was good but it got kind of boring. By the time i was 7 songs in i was wishing it was over so i could do something else..

Maybe it is one of those albums that grows on you the more you listen to it, unfortunately i don't have the luxury of listening to it a few more times. Already handed it back and i would feel a bit silly asking to borrow it yet again. I would give it a 6 or 7.

As for this Daughtry guy, i had a listen of his album on the iTunes Store to see what he was like and i finally figured out where that damn song was coming from, that song that was on the radio ALL THE TIME over here. I wouldn't pay money for the album as it's not my kind of thing but i personally feel 2/10 is a bit harsh.

By the way, there are two things i have been wondering about this guy since i found this album out a couple of days ago. I would like it if somebody could answer my questions..

Firstly, i heard something about American Idol on the Album page on the iTunes Store. Is he an American Idol contestant? Even more reason to up the rating because if he is, in comparison to other artists from the show i think this would be one of the best albums to come out of it.

And also, does anybody think of him like a.. Daniel Powter v2? That's the first thing i thought when i saw the album cover, don't ask why.

1. Yes, he's from American Idol.

2. And no, I actually don't see that =/

But, my sister has the CD, and lemme tell you, after hearing my nephew play "it's not over" for the millionth time I wanted to jump out my window.

You're right about Norah Jones. I don't think I've really gotten into it at all at any point; it's not bad, but certainly a step below the first two.

As for Daughtry... let's just say Fitzy is gonna be pissed. And when he gets pissed, I will agree with him. <_<

Firstly, i heard something about American Idol on the Album page on the iTunes Store. Is he an American Idol contestant? Even more reason to up the rating because if he is, in comparison to other artists from the show i think this would be one of the best albums to come out of it.

Doesn't make any of them any good. Especially since this guy finished what... 5th?

For example: that Carrie Underwood song one in every two radio stations plays, that is probably the best song I've heard from any Idol contestant. And sadly, what does that say for Idol?

Doesn't make any of them any good. Especially since this guy finished what... 5th?

For example: that Carrie Underwood song one in every two radio stations plays, that is probably the best song I've heard from any Idol contestant. And sadly, what does that say for Idol?

Guest mAXi

Doesn't make any of them any good.