Icky Thump

NobBe Nobbs

I'm quite impressed by the album. It seems to be that Jack's been listening to a lot of stoner rock or doom lately because from what I've heard from them before, there's a lot more fuzz on the guitars. And it's a good cd when I expected it not to be.

Pffft. The White Stripes are the most unpredictable band ever.

They follow up their biggest album to date, Elephant, with Get Behind Me Satan, arguably their best CD but also their most inaccessible to date. Than, when you expect them to do a complete 180, they have a return to form with a few odd ball tracks (Conquest, St. Andrews, Prickly Thorn) and its awesome. The White Stripes, one of my fav. bands, definitely know how to keep people guessing.

I saw them at Bonnaroo on Sunday and you had no idea where they were going. There was no real order to the songs they were playing, Jack just sort of pulled songs out and was like "Let's play this one!" That's how Icky Thump as an album feels. No order, just a collection of songs Jack feels like playing. That's why I love The White Stripes. You have no idea what to expect.

Best Stripes album in a long time. It crosses over so many genres and it just plain fucking rules. I love the spoken word shit of Rag & Bone, I love the bagpipes and Meg's vocals on St. Andrew ... fuck, I love it all.

Bone Broke has that awesome, grungy early Stripes vibe. I'm Slowly Turning Into You & 300 MPH etc. are also really, really good.

They played Icky Thump ALL THE TIME on the radio, when I first heard it, I had no idea what it was (I'm not really a White Stripes fan), but everytime I heard it, it grew on me.

Even though, I'm pretty sure it's not true circuit bending, I definitely mark for that circuit bending sound.

• 2 weeks later...

The tickets for White Stripes playing in England go on sale in about fifteen minutes... Well they do for Sheffield, for some reason Rihanna got the 9am sale slot despite having a gig two months later and one song to her name.

Anyone else off to see them live in October/November time?

Edited by LANE

I got a ticket for their SECC show in Glasgow. I have 6 gigs coming up and I'm probabaly most excited about this one, I have no idea what to expect...but that is always the case with White Stripes.

I really need to find stuff pre-Get Behind Me Satan, that was the first full WS album I heard.

I got a ticket for their SECC show in Glasgow. I have 6 gigs coming up and I'm probabaly most excited about this one, I have no idea what to expect...but that is always the case with White Stripes.

I really need to find stuff pre-Get Behind Me Satan, that was the first full WS album I heard.

It would be a good idea. White Stripes have never been a band who's setlist is determined by what their latest album is. I hear they still use a lot from their first two albums still.

It would be a good idea. White Stripes have never been a band who's setlist is determined by what their latest album is. I hear they still use a lot from their first two albums still.

I only heard them play 2-3 songs from their new album when I saw them live.

They played the Ottawa Bluefest and for an hour just played all their blues material (ie, stuff off their first few albums). It was breath-taking.