Overseas Pandora.com listeners

It's really depressing to watch the recording industry so consistently shoot itself in the foot, focusing on capturing every immediate dollar, rather than recognizing the ability of using music as free promotion to build up the size of their market. The latest case is that Pandora.com, a popular streaming music recommendation service (which is already facing some challenges due to the new webcaster rates) is being forced to block all non-US users of its service. This is because the recording industry wants Pandora to sign separate licensing deals in every country where it has listeners -- a nearly impossible task. Anyone who's used Pandora for more than about five minutes realizes what a great service it is for the entire recording industry. It really does a good job of recommending new music to listeners -- the type of new music that fits in with what they like, and that they're much more likely to support with money. However, rather than recognizing the numerous ways that Pandora can grow their overall market, the recording industry has to shut it down since it won't pay them even more than they're already being paid. This harms the recording industry in numerous ways, and it's amazing they haven't figured that out yet.

Suck and gay.

Without even thinking about it, I can name five artists that I've bought into, soley because of Pandora. Probably more if I went back and checked my radio stations.

Yeah, this is lame.

Guest mAXi

When will somebody tell them that they are in the wrong. It's not us. If they take down or do something drastic to last.fm (my favourite site) then i will be... well... i don't know what i'm going to do but i'll do it! :|

Ugh, they better not ruin last.fm :(

I've never heard of Pandora, but it sounds like something I'd really have liked. I hate, hate, hate how the RIAA etc. are trying to put all these controls and constraints on music. The industry should be run by artists, I swear.

Edited by Dragsy 7-0