As the PS2's life comes to an end let us mark it's finale with a list!

So next week sees the release of Tomb Raider Anniversary, the final PS2 game to be released, at least in the UK. So to look back on the life of the longest running supported games console I propose a tournament. Well a list anyways.

What are the best games ever released on the PS2?

The beautiful machine that saw me through uni (I bought a brand new PS2 for £330 with my student loan at the start of my second year) from 2000 until today in 2007. So many of life's experiences I've shared with my slowly dying black box and I'm sure many of you have too. So let's kick back, reminisce and each of us list the top ten games WE think are the best on the console. And no you cheeky beggars, no PS1 games JUST cos they could be played on the PS2. :pinch:

Your coveted number 1 spot gets three points, 2 for 2-5 and 1 point for 6-10. If you can't make a full top ten then do what you can.

MY LIST:

1. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

2. Shadow of the Colossus

3. Pro Evolution Soccer 4

4. Resident Evil 4

5. Athens

6. Ico

7. Way Of The Samurai 2

8. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty

9. God Of War

10. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

A worthy nod to Zone Of Enders which I've found out STILL really holds up very well.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Sorry not to post a list here but, final PS2 game to be released...what?! There are gonna be tons of games coming out for the PS2. I mean for a start there are all the numerous movie tie ins that will be out like Harry Potter, all the multi format sports titles like FIFA and then more high profile third party titles like Manhunt 2.

1. Twisted Metal Black

2. Guitar Hero II

3. GTA San Andreas

4. Kingdom Hearts

5. Def Jam Fight For NY

6. Silent Hill 2

7. Bully

8. Mortal Kombat Deception

9. God of War

10. Jak & Daxter

EDIT

But yeah, Ellis is right, this is nowhere near the last PS2 game.

EDIT2

Nevermind.

Edited by Zero

And isn't Smackdown vs Raw 2008 for PS2 aswell? Not to mention the usual yearly updates like FIFA and so on. The PS2 will be around for at least the rest of the year, the games still sell more than any other format.

EDIT: And I'm too late it seems... :P

Edited by Scott McFly

1. GTA: San Andreas

3. Twisted Metal Black

4. Amplitude

5. Ratchet and Clank

6. Katamari Damacy

7. Gladius

8. GTA: Vice City

9. Burnout 3

10. SSX 3

Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X, and God of War get honorable mentions, fersure.

Still jonesing to tear into the Guitar Heroes, but something always comes up to take the last of my spare scratch. DAMMIT!

1. GTA: San Andreas

2. God of War II

3. Resident Evil 4

4. Guitar Hero II

5. Final Fantasy XII

6. Ico

7. Metal Gear Solid 3

8. Burnout 3

9. Canis Canem Edit

10. GTA: Vice City

Looking back, it was such a brilliant console and it took some time to make that list.

1. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty/Substance

3. Kingdom Hearts II

4. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence

5. God of War

6. Ico

7. Kingdom Hearts

8. Devil May Cry 3

9. Resident Evil 4

10. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Many more games that I could make a top 20 but even the top 10 could be in any order as all these games lasted me tons of time. If the PS3 is anything like the PS2 the system will be amazing.

1. Dues Ex

2. Final Fantasy X

3. Disgaea

4. Resident Evil: Code Veronica

5. Kessen II

6. Metal Gear Solid 2

7. Shadow Hearts 2

8. Legaia 2: Duel Saga

9. Soul Calibur 2

10. Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter.

Los Honorablés to Pro Evo 5, FFXII, Smackdown HTCP, Kingdom Hearts and an assortment of others.

They still made Madden for the PS1 until 2004, I'd expect to see it on the PS2 until at least 2010. But anyways back on topic.

1. Final Fantasy X

2. Kingdom Hearts

3. DDR Extreme

4. God of War

5. Ico

6. WWE Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain

7. Jak & Daxter

8. GTA: Vice City

9. Devil May Cry

10. Okami

Edited by Corizzle

1. TimeSplitters: Future Perfect - best multiplayer game ever. Hands down. Me and my housemate have been playing it for hours on end the last couple of weeks, trying tog et our profiles a 100% rating.

2. SSX3 - one of the best game soundtracks ever, and it was so innovative and fun to play. SSX On Tour blew chunks in comparison. And Elise is hot >_>

3. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - my favourite action/adventure game ever. You can keep your Tomb Raider, I'll stick with wall-running and rewinding time, thanks. Shame the sequesl didn't match up in terms of quality though.

4. Guitar Hero - Pure genius. I've only got this in instead of 2 because of the tracklist. In all fairness, 2 should get recognition for the much-improved multiplayer and addition of practice mode. And I've not met anyone who doesn't like playing it, surely the best measure of a truly great game.

5. Def Jam: Fight For NY - So much fun in this fighter-cum-wrestle 'em up to be had. This is everything a sequel should be: introducing new features and concepts while staying true to what made the original so good.

6. GTA: San Andreas - It amazes me at how big the game is. OK, so there's a ton of desert and forest, but it's still usable, it's still fun. The fucking flying was gay though.

7. WipEout Fusion - My favourite racing franchise of all time. I prefer the PSP version, Pure, but this is still so, so good. I love how they manage to make it actually feel like you're going at a million miles an hour. Combat racing at its finest. Fuck Mario Kart.

8. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3: 2 was the best of the series, but it was on PS1. This gets the nod as it really made the most of the more powerful console. 4 was good too, but the UG series ruined the whole franchise for me. This one was the best for its focus on skating, and not Jackass.

9. Need For Speed: Underground - Better than 2 because it didn't have that stupid driving round the city menu system gayness. Love the car customization, and the soundtrack rocked. The rubberbanding by the AI was irritating at times, but still, one of the better PS2 racers (Gran Turismo can fuck off, if I wanted to be that good at driving, I'd race for real).

10. MLB 07: The Show - I wasn't going to put any yearly-updated sports games in here, but this is the greatest baseball game ever, with perhaps the best commentary I've ever heard in a videogame. And I love the touches like only controlling your player and only playing when he's on the field in career mode.

That was tricky, now how about a worst of list?

1] Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War

2] Katamari Damacy

3] Romance of the Three Kingdoms X

4] Deus Ex

5] Def Jam: Fight for New York

6] GTA: San Andreas

7] Shadow Hearts

8] True Crime: New York City

9] WWE Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain

10] Namco X Capcom

There are a ton more I'd like to add to the end of the list, too...like Okami, the Hitman games, and the Dynasty Warriors series.

1 - Pro Evolution Soccer 4/5. I forget which one it is, but I gave it serious man hours. Not to mention all the multiplayer games at friends houses. The pinnacle of football games on the PS2, it really feels like the series follow-ups since this have lost something for everything they've gained.

2 - WWE Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain. Like PES, the series has never been better for its time. Arguably the biggest leap forward in the series ever.

3 - Final Fantasy X. Excellent game. Maybe the only FF I've played through twice other than 7.

4 - Pride FC. Hard to get hold of, but definitley worth the effort. So many different ways to play and you actually have to develop different techniques to beat the different styles. Lack of a season mode stops it getting higher.

5 - GTA: San Andreas. Speaks for itself, but not quite the super game the critics made it out to be.

6 - Mashed. Best Multiplayer Game. Ever.

7 - Manhunt. Did for stealth games what Silent Hill did for its own genre. Dark, creepy and downright awesome. Can't wait for number 2.

8 - Fahrenheit. A game that never really succeeded commercially as it should have done. I'm actually playing through it again right now. Plenty of replayability and the like, and one of the few games I can watch other people play. DO I SAVE THE BOY FROM DROWNING THOUGH?!

9 - Hitman 2: Silent Assasin. Brought the series the mainstream attention it deserves. They've yet to beat this version in my opinion.

10 - Enter The Matrix: Path Of Neo. Not exactly the best game ever and has its glitches, but oozes cool. Finally a game where you're tougher than the bosses.

Edited by Mr. Mistoffelees

I'd have put Fahrenheit on if the ending (yes, all of them) hadn't been shite. Loved the concept though, great fun.

And Pride needing different strategies to win? Nah. It's an alright multiplayer game, but it's certainly not top ten material. It just doesn't have the legs.

Fahrenheit is just one of those games that I can go back to any day of the week and it's awesome. Even the simple things like drinking some alcohol then taking some paracetamol are great touches. Basically it was one of those games that just came out of nowhere and tried to be different, and pulled it off. Yeah the endings suck a bit, but all in all I didn't mind the story. I'd like to play a similar game with no supernatural-ness to it though. And it had a sex scene. :pervert:

As for Pride, I dunno why I like it so much, I just do. It's one of those I can stick on anytime of day on the hardest difficulty and not care whether I win or lose because the fighting is so much fun. I think it does need different strategies to win, especially on the harder difficulty. You try going in a slugfest with Royce against Goodridge, you're gonna get your ass handed to you. Whereas it's a completely different ball game against someone like Yvel or Shamrock. I put it in the top ten as it's a game that I play a lot (single and multiplayer) so it's lasted a good few years, whilst also its fighting quality is good to.

Edited by Mr. Mistoffelees

1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

3. Pro Evolution Soccer 4

4. WWE: Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain

5. Guitar Hero 2

6. Canis Canem Edit

7. James Bond: Nightfire

8. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater: Underground

9. Timesplitters 2

10. WWE: Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth

As for Pride, I dunno why I like it so much, I just do. It's one of those I can stick on anytime of day on the hardest difficulty and not care whether I win or lose because the fighting is so much fun. I think it does need different strategies to win, especially on the harder difficulty. You try going in a slugfest with Royce against Goodridge, you're gonna get your ass handed to you. Whereas it's a completely different ball game against someone like Yvel or Shamrock. I put it in the top ten as it's a game that I play a lot (single and multiplayer) so it's lasted a good few years, whilst also its fighting quality is good to.
Edited by Dragsy 7-0

1. GTA San Andreas

2. Fifa 2007

3. Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain

4. GTA Vice City

5. Smackdown Vs Raw 2007

6. Juiced

7. Tony Hawks Project 8

8. Fight Night 3

9. Tony Hawks Underground

10. Canis Canem Edit

Edited by carlitojohn