zero

Found this interesting list of Summer Horror Films on Digg, check it out:

FS.net's Guide to the Summer of 2007's Horror Films

Here are the ones I'm most excited about:

Rob Zombie's Halloween

Release Date: August 31

Director: Rob Zombie

Starring: Scout Taylor-Compton, Tyler Mane, Malcolm McDowell

What It's About: After being committed for 15 years, Michael Myers, now a 21-year-old man and still very dangerous, escapes from the mental institution (where he was committed as a 6 year old) and immediately returns to Haddonfield, where he wants to find his baby sister. Anyone who crosses his path is in mortal danger.

The Buzz: There's a lot riding on Rob Zombie and this remake. Everyone is wondering if he can pull off a successful reboot of the franchise and have it return with the same force that it started off with in 1978. Even those who aren't fans of the Halloween franchise are just a bit curious and may hit the theaters at the end of the summer to see if they can scare the living crap out of you. However there's so much time until it comes out that the buzz still has time to build, and we still need to see a real full length trailer.

Worth Seeing? Yes, if you're a fan of the Halloween series or just curious to see what Rob Zombie has done with this revamp.

The Signal

Release Date: August 10 (Limited Theatres)

Directors: David Bruckner / Jacob Gentry / Dan Bush

Starring: Anessa Ramsey, Justin Welborn, AJ Bowen

What It's About: A horror film told in three parts from three perspectives, in which a mysterious transmission which invades every cell phone, radio and TV, turing people into killers.

The Buzz: Another independent film from Sundance, there are plenty of good reviews, but nothing that says it's as revolutionary as any of the other big horror films to come out of Sundance (Saw, Blair Witch Project). That doesn't mean it still won't be good or worth your time, and I think above all it's worth supporting as an indie film. It's got enough good buzz and intrigue to gain some attention, and the more it can get, the better.

Worth Seeing? Yes, if you're curious enough to see what it's about and help an indie film.

Black Sheep

Release Date: June 22 (Limited Theatres)

Director: Jonathan King

Starring: Nathan Meister, Danielle Mason, Oliver Driver, Tammy Davis

What It's About: There are 40 million sheep in New Zealand and only 4 million inhabitants. After a genetic experiment goes wrong, New Zealand's sheep start turning nasty, and it's the humans who begin bleating.

The Buzz: After getting rave reviews and hitting the world wide web hard from the Toronto Film Festival (where they pulled a publicity stunt bringing live sheep to the movie's premiere), the film has got a lot pushing for it. It's pretty much a campy B-movie that knows it's a B-movie but still pulls of hilarious entertainment. It could live up to some of the other great B-movie horror films of past (Army of Darkness) or it could just fumble over itself.

Worth Seeing? Yes, if you want to how sheep take over the world!

Release Date: June 22

Director: Mikael Håfström

Starring: John Cusack, Samuel L. Jackson, Tony Shalhoub

What It's About: Based on Stephen King's short story, 1408 stars John Cusack as a debunker of paranormal occurrences who encounters real terror when he checks into the notorious Room 1408 at the Dolphin Hotel.

The Buzz: Without even hearing any real reviews yet, I've got a feeling this is going to be one amazing thriller. The trailer makes it out to be freakier than all hell, and I can only imagine what more is in stock once we see the full thing. The hype is pretty big too, as everyone who normally wouldn't consider it is adding it to their line up of films to see for the summer.

Worth Seeing? Yes, even if you aren't a horror fan, check it out.

Fido

Release Date: June 15

Director: Andrew Currie

Starring: Carrie Anne Moss, Billy Connolly, Tim Blake Nelson, Dylan Baker

What It's About: Timmy Robinson's best friend in the whole wide world is a six-foot tall rotting zombie named Fido. But when Fido eats the next-door neighbor, Mom and Dad hit the roof, and Timmy has to go to the ends of the earth to keep Fido a part of the family.

The Buzz: I had to consider whether this fit on here, but remembering that it is a zombie movie with plenty of killing, it does fall into the category of horror. One of my favorite films of Sundance and a refreshing look at the zombie universe through comedy and pure entertainment, Fido is one of the better horror movies this summer. It's had stunning reviews from every film festival so far, let's see if it can live up to those high regards this summer in theaters.

Worth Seeing? DEFINITELY yes! One of the better films this year in general, not even considering horror alone!

Honestly... I think Fido sounds like the greatest movie in the history of movies.

They filmed a lot of Fido here in Vernon and Kelowna, BC... I wasn't super interested when they showed clips on the local news, but now that the film has been finished and cleaned up, it probably looks a lot better.

1408 looks pretty good. Cusack is one of my favorite actors.

Halloween though, is the movie that I am most looking forward to this summer. I am a big time Halloween fan, and Rob Zombie is the man who is going to singlehandedly make the horror genre something to be watched again... something that can still shock people... Rob Zombie is going to be to the Horror genre what Jesus was to Religion.

The one about sheep though... that's just fucked up.

I am really excited for Halloween, everything I have seen and heard so far looks great and I am pretty sure that Zombie can keep the feeling of the original while making the plot and the setting resonate with today's audiences.

Clearly Black Sheep must be atop the Box Office it's opening weekend, otherwise there is no justice in this world <_<

But yeah, looking forward to Halloween and 1408 and hadn't heard about Fido but that does sound fantastic.

Yeah "The Signal" sounds like a complete ripoff of Stephen King's Cell, which is Eli Roth is turning into a movie after Hostel Part 2

I would be interested in checking out Fido and Halloween, but I'm iffy on the others. If I got free tickets I'd check it out, if not then I'd give it a pass.