Transfer Thread

ONO

That we can agree on then. Bent to me is a player who score no matter what, okay he may not be as good as say Berbatov in his all-round game but goals win games. I think he could be a good asset to just about any side in the Premiership but not at 17m.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, it's not that easy finding a player who will score the amount of goals Bent does in the Premiership for cheaper than 17m. It's hard enough finding one for more than 17m. They're about, definitely, but there's no way of knowing who'll be a success and who won't be, just look at Shevchenko. I'll agree that 17m is a huge price, but at least he's proven and he'll more than likely score goals for you.

Shevchenko will pull through next season (I expect this to be quoted when he gets less than 10 goals). To be fair, like I think Grounded Wingman said, you have no idea who'll do well at big teams. At Liverpool, Bent will be told how he's going to play alongside Kuyt, at Charlton his team mates were told how to play alongside him.

You miss my point, who's to say Bent will do well at Liverpool/Spurs. Bellamy didn't. But Berbatov and McCarthy were bought much cheaper and have scored well this year. British or foreign, you don't know how they'll settle into a new team.

Still, the point stands you're just as likely to get a player who'll settle well and score goals no matter where they're from, it's just foreigners are cheaper - on the whole.

And I thought Berbatov cost about 8m and Bellamy cost 15m, must be losing it :P

I think if it was a sale between a Spanish and Portugese team, it wouldn't be as big, because they play similar games. However the Premiership, along with a few other leagues, play quite a lot different to say a Spanish or Italian league. So I think Bent does have an edge over foreign players there, because he is already used to the Premiership system.

Wheras the foreign players it comes down to whether they are versatile enough to adapt to a new kind of football, whether the league they come from plays a similar style - which I would call a fast, physical game but still with it's flair, as opposed to just pacey and flair or slow etc. A lot of the English teams like to get stuck in and put in the challenges moreso than other leagues. So I think it's down to whether the foreign player can adapt to the new surroundings.

Like Rockbox said, signing any player is a gamble. But it's less of a gamble to get a player from the same league who is established, than an established foreigner.

Still, the point stands you're just as likely to get a player who'll settle well and score goals no matter where they're from, it's just foreigners are cheaper - on the whole.

And I thought Berbatov cost about 8m and Bellamy cost 15m, must be losing it :P

I'm not sure about Bellamy but Berbatov cost about £10.7m.

Edit: A quick check with Wikipedia, Berbatov cost £10.9m, Bellamy "in the region of £6.5m".

Edited by AD