Transfer Thread

ONO

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£3m is quite the coup for Ljungberg even with his injury problems.

Mido can be a very good player (see when he first joined us on loan) but going on last season's performance he's certainly not worth £6m. We bought him for less after he'd actually had a successful spell with us. At Birmingham's level he'll probably do quite well though.

I saw this type of talk on anotehr board, but if you look at Premiership history there are so few players who have consistaly scored even 15+ in the league never mind 20. If you manage to get a player who will score 15 league goals next season you are doing well.

I have been following the Adu news since the U20 WC since he has been getting quite a bit of intrest and it looks like he may be close to a move overseas soon altough this is just rumor at this point. Here is what I found:

Sources confirmed media reports that Adu is most likely headed to Benfica in Portugal, in part because of how difficult it would be for him to obtain a work permit to play for either of the other two teams most interested in him, Celtic FC in Scotland or Tottenham Hotspur in England

PSV Eindhoven striker Patrick Kluivert has been invited for a trial by Sheffield Wednesday.

The experienced Dutchman joined PSV last summer after spending a solitary season with Valencia.

Prior to his spell at the Mestalla, Kluivert undertook a year in the Premier League as he scored six times in 25 appearances for Newcastle United.

He could now return to England after the 31-year-old was offered the chance to train with Championship side Wednesday.

Owls boss Brian Laws confirmed the invitation and admits he is keen to assess the former Milan and Barcelona forward in training.

"I have a strong contact in Holland who is Kluivert's agent," Laws told BBC Radio Sheffield.

"We've invited the boy down, and I want to run the rule over him.

"It is just a possibility and is nothing concrete at the moment, but we've made an enquiry."

I have been following the Adu news since the U20 WC since he has been getting quite a bit of intrest and it looks like he may be close to a move overseas soon altough this is just rumor at this point. Here is what I found:

Sources confirmed media reports that Adu is most likely headed to Benfica in Portugal, in part because of how difficult it would be for him to obtain a work permit to play for either of the other two teams most interested in him, Celtic FC in Scotland or Tottenham Hotspur in England

Guest Ringy Gainsbourg

PSV Eindhoven striker Patrick Kluivert has been invited for a trial by Sheffield Wednesday.

The experienced Dutchman joined PSV last summer after spending a solitary season with Valencia.

Prior to his spell at the Mestalla, Kluivert undertook a year in the Premier League as he scored six times in 25 appearances for Newcastle United.

He could now return to England after the 31-year-old was offered the chance to train with Championship side Wednesday.

Owls boss Brian Laws confirmed the invitation and admits he is keen to assess the former Milan and Barcelona forward in training.

"I have a strong contact in Holland who is Kluivert's agent," Laws told BBC Radio Sheffield.

"It is just a possibility and is nothing concrete at the moment, but we've made an enquiry."

- Sky Sports

Um, what? Since when was Kluivert a Championsip level player?

Edited by Ringy Gainsbourg

- Sky Sports

Um, what? Since when was Kluivert a Championsip level player?

To be honest its a gamble Sheffield Wednesday would be worth taking, if they've got the money free then why not? The worse happens and then he leaves at the end of the season with little impact. The best happens he could be one of the best strikers in the league. One thing is for sure, Brian Laws had better know how to control a player of that name if he does sign on the dotted line.

The 28-year-old has agreed a three-year contract and passed a medical, although the move is subject to a work permit.

Petrov was strongly linked with a move to Tottenham, but City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson has made the Bulgarian his fourth new signing.

"Having Sven as manager proved to be a major factor in the player's decision," said City chief Alistair Mackintosh.

"Unsurprisingly given the calibre of the player, there were a significant number of clubs competing for Martin's signature, and I am absolutely delighted that he has come to Manchester City."

Petrov, a left winger, began his career at CSKA Sofia and enjoyed spells at Swiss club Servette and Wolfsburg in Germany before signing for Atletico in 2005.

However, the Spanish club have opted to cash in on Petrov after agreeing a £13.4m deal with Benfica for winger Simao Sabrosa.

Petrov, who has made more than 60 appearances for Bulgaria, and fellow new signing Geovanni were presented to the media on Thursday.

Eriksson said: "I'm sure that a lot of clubs wanted both of them, and I'm very happy we were able to get them. They will do very well for us, I'm sure about that.

"They are experienced, and it's important that we don't just buy players around 19 or 20 years old.

"In the Premier League you need class and experience, and these two are top class players.

"Technically they are very good, Geovanni can play on the right or as a second striker, and Martin's left foot is very, very good."

Eriksson also said he is planning more signings before the transfer window closes on 31 August.

"I don't think we are finished signing, there will be more new faces coming in different positions," he said.

"The new owner has shown he means serious business when he says that he wants to build a strong team which is not fighting at the bottom of the table. This is one way in which he has shown that."

Heh, we were snubbed off Baines. I really hope he looks like a tool at the end of the season with Wigan hopefully languishing about in the relegation zone and Sunderland at least safe.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm all up on Sunderland's cock, even though I am, but I honestly thought Baines to Sunderland would be a good move for him.

He'd probably fit into the Everton squad quite easily, and with the interest there is the chance he'll go. Then again Everton are also a big team so they're likely to be looking at several players of that position, no guarantee Everton will come with an offer so we'll have to see.

He's a good player, so I'd loved to have seen him in a Sunderland strip.