The Gold Cup

Guest Ringmaster

I saw parts of it. Canada winning is good, especially since their group looks like shit. Not that I am any sort of soccer expert, but I just assume the other two teams suck.

They do. If Canada loses either they should disband their entire country.

Oh neighbor to the north, we barely knew ye.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mr. Potato Head

TSN is showing their newfound commitment to soccer today, one of the top stories on their front page is talking about Canada's game against Haiti tonight at "the CONCACAF World Cup".

Canada/Haiti, Sportsnet, tonight. Be there.

Onstad gets the start tonight, as Sutton seemingly aggravated his concussion in the warm up to the Guadeloupe match. Sutton wasn't a factor in the loss, but I'm still more confident with Onstad in goal. This apparently comes at an extremely fortunate time, as TFC is in the middle of an 11 day break and Houston is just starting theirs. Maybe we can keep him through the first Quarter final. You know, if we get there. <_<

US beats Panama 2-1 altough it could have easily been 4 or 5-1 if the US was actually able to convert on most of thier oppurtunites. The next stop for us will be against Canada and altough I think we should be able to beat them if Canada is able to create some chances and score a goal or two the US might be in trouble since they have just been having trouble finishing the whole Cup so far. Altough we have won every game we have played so far most of the games have been underwhelming and we should have played better then we did. I am intrested in seeing the next game vs. Canada to see if the US is finally able to bring thier A game.

C'mon Canada!

I'm frustrated that despite having ESPN down here and them having nothing better to show than motor sports and Pardon the Interruption, we don't get any of the Gold Cup.

I'd have to say that I am even more frustrated since I live in the country that the tournament is in(the US) and dont have the channels on my cable package to watch the games and had to watch the games on a spanish channel to see the game at all. On the subject of the game I really think that whoever wins the game between the US and Canada has a pretty good shot at winning the whole thing. I realize Mexico is a good team but I just dont think they are at the level they used to be.

I was kind of hoping for Panama to somehow beat the US. <_<

Hopefully we can pull off some miracles, take out the US and have Mexico lose so we can cruise ourself to the Gold Cup. :D

EDIT: And Mexico is still a very good team I think, they're not going to win three cups in a row like they did a few years back but they still have a VERY good chance of winning this.

Edited by Mr. Evil Guy

Oh I am not doubting that Mexico is at the top of Concacaf, altough that is not saying much right now but they are not the king of this region that they used to be and that is why I feel that any of the teams left would have a shot at them in the finals.

Sorta off topic but the thing that US badly needs is a above average finisher. After watching alot of there games through the Gold Cup they get tons of chances yet come up short more often then not on clear goal scoring oppurtuinites. I really dont think anyone currently on the team really fits that role other then maybe Eddie Johnson who is young and succeded early but has gone into a drought for a while. Hopefully they can either have one of the guys step up on the team or develop a guy like Altidore in the MLS, or they will not move any farther in the international competitions.

Holy crap, Guadeloupe beating Honduras (who beat Mexico in the group) is awesome. GUADELOUPE FOR THE GOLD CUP~!

I want Canada to win though...but Guadeloupe...underdogs are so easy to support. :(

Oh wait...Guadeloupe can beat Canada in the final, but because they're a French dependency and not a member of FIFA, Canada will get the Gold Cup just for being runner-up. :D

So if Canada and Guadeloupe win their next games, I get both things I want. Sweet.

Edited by The Kraig

Green Demon: You're absolutely right about Eddie Johnson. Why they haven't started arguably their most explosive player is beyond me. Maybe a little too much Landon love?

Guadeloupe is just shocking everyone this year. I legitimately thought that with Honduras' offensive output they could be the dark horse in the tourney. Guess not. With Mexico's lackluster performance so far, Guadeloupe stands a chance. Actually that's probably the way you could look at both semi-final matches: two surging underdogs vs. two underwhelming favorites. Thursday should be interesting.

Guest Not The Ring

ITS COMING HOME ITS COMING HOME ITS COMING FOOTBALL'S COMING HOME

:shifty:

That said, I'm extremely optimistic, but if the US coach didn't figure out how to beat Canada yet, he ought to be sacked.