Is America tired of Kelly Clarkson?

ROC

Low ticket sales cause Clarkson to shelve tour

By Sue Zeidler 1 hour, 21 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Pop singer and "American Idol" winner

Kelly Clarkson may want to consider singing the blues with all the turmoil in her life lately.

After feuding with her label for months over artistic control of her upcoming album, "My December," and abruptly firing her long-time manager this week, the singer pulled the plug on a summer concert tour on Thursday due to poor ticket sales.

"In the craziness of the music business, performing is what I look forward to doing the most, so it really is disappointing for me to have to tell you that I won't be coming out to tour this summer," Clarkson said on her Web site (www.kellyclarkson.com).

"The fact is that touring is just too much, too soon," said Clarkson, 25, who has sold an estimated 11 million records worldwide.

Clarkson promised fans she'd "get back out there as soon as is humanly possible."

Michael Rapino, chief executive officer of concert promotion company LiveNation, said, "Ticket sales have not been what we anticipated and we came to the realization that we had bit off more than we could chew."

The singer has been embroiled in a high-profile dispute with Sony BMG boss Clive Davis, credited with cultivating stars like

Whitney Houston, over her new album, "My December." Clarkson recently told "Elle" magazine that she rejected Davis' offer of $10 million to remove five songs from the album.

"My December," originally due out in April was delayed due to the falling out. It is set to be released on June 26.

The new album's first single, "Never Again," her seventh top-10 hit, fell six places to No. 17 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart Thursday.

Clarkson's debut album, "Thankful" (2003) sold 2.6 million units in the United States, while her follow-up "Breakaway" (2004) sold about 5.8 million units, according to Nielsen Soundscan.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody is better than Justin Timberlake! Nobody!

Although Kelly Clarkson is one of my favourite pop singers right now (and I think the only one too :P ), so its kind of sad that she had to fight to stop old clive removing her songs in her album.

Edited by Laice07

She's a lot better than all the other faggots out there like Justin Timberlake and Beyonce.

Bummer.

I used to dislike JT a lot, but he's gotten a lot less...faggy? He's actually making semi-good music now instead of me wanting to stab my eyes out with a pencil.

She's a lot better than all the other faggots out there like Justin Timberlake and Beyonce.

Bummer.

I used to dislike JT a lot, but he's gotten a lot less...faggy? He's actually making semi-good music now instead of me wanting to stab my eyes out with a pencil.

Bummer.

Seconded.

It could be a lot worse than Clarkson and JT. They're probably some of the better pop people out there.

Pull back a bit, refocus, relax, and come back stronger than ever in another year. That's what the delicious and delightful Miss Clarkson needs to do.

I'm still waiting for Michelle Branch to do that.

Edited by YI

Her new film clip is ten kinds of fucked up. Why is she singing in a bra and jacket? Especially since she really isn't that much to look at? Especially if she wants to be seen as more than a pop tart?

Her new film clip is ten kinds of fucked up. Why is she singing in a bra and jacket? Especially since she really isn't that much to look at? Especially if she wants to be seen as more than a pop tart?

You don't know for sure that she wasn't the one that came up with the idea. I'm not saying she did, but it seems you assumed that someone suggested it to her when she could just be comfortable with her body, etc.

And it's like that with females because males 18-25 are the target demographic for a lot of things in entertainment so naturally it's going to draw people in. And seeing as how she's not that popular right now, doing something like that will try and get fans back. It's not a good thing that it would come to that, but it's the nature of the entertainment business.