Is America tired of Kelly Clarkson?

ROC

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't know for sure that she wasn't the one that came up with the idea. I'm not saying she did, but it seems you assumed that someone suggested it to her when she could just be comfortable with her body, etc.

And it's like that with females because males 18-25 are the target demographic for a lot of things in entertainment so naturally it's going to draw people in. And seeing as how she's not that popular right now, doing something like that will try and get fans back. It's not a good thing that it would come to that, but it's the nature of the entertainment business.

Edited by Quom

You don't know for sure that she wasn't the one that came up with the idea. I'm not saying she did, but it seems you assumed that someone suggested it to her when she could just be comfortable with her body, etc.

And it's like that with females because males 18-25 are the target demographic for a lot of things in entertainment so naturally it's going to draw people in. And seeing as how she's not that popular right now, doing something like that will try and get fans back. It's not a good thing that it would come to that, but it's the nature of the entertainment business.

I never understand that argument. If people went into clothing stores and there were women with only jackets covering their bras people would think it was fucked up, even if that store catered solely to male clients aged 18-25 (but was in a mall for all to see). In fact I'd imagine people would protest, letters would be written and all sorts of hell would be raised.

And I don't understand your argument that just because she shows a little skin she can't be seen as something more than just your average teeny bopper because you can tell by the lyrics and everything. Just because she's comfortable enough with her body that she might feel like doing something like that, that automatically puts her in the same class as the other female pop stars who don't do anything musically for the most part? Not yet man, if she continues to do it, pulls out choreographed dance moves and starts singing about random guys or something of that nature, then yeah, she's totally changed, but just because she showed some skin in one of her videos? I don't think so.

And I don't understand your argument that just because she shows a little skin she can't be seen as something more than just your average teeny bopper because you can tell by the lyrics and everything. Just because she's comfortable enough with her body that she might feel like doing something like that, that automatically puts her in the same class as the other female pop stars who don't do anything musically for the most part? Not yet man, if she continues to do it, pulls out choreographed dance moves and starts singing about random guys or something of that nature, then yeah, she's totally changed, but just because she showed some skin in one of her videos? I don't think so.

How about instead of me constantly answering your question you try and answer this one. How does Kelly Clarkson singing in a bra and jacket make her a better musician or singer? It doesn't.

I think it is arguable that Clarkson isn't as much a corporate rebel as people would like to believe, but she's surely not going full-on sex sex sex with her lyrics, surely? There's a fine line between being sexy and overtly sexual, and I don't think the video nor any of her songs really cross that line. It's obvious she's going for more edge with "Never Again" and "Sober" but to compare to another artist who also made a good CD in the mainstream, Rihanna, her songs aren't the "fuck me" type that most female pop artists nowadays go for. And seeing that Rihanna's last album was actually damn good, I don't even think singing "fuck me" type songs necessarily hurts the quality, either, if the elements are put in place and the singer doesn't sound like shit.

It does if she's going to try and blame a lack of success or try and get people to rally behind her as a serious muso fighting the label. To me if you're a pop-star you're a pop-star, you're a vehicle either run by yourself or the label in an effort to sell the maximum amount of albums or singles to the largest group of people possible. I'm not saying you can't be talented, but to me there isn't enough distance between OMG take me seriously and here I am in a bra and jacket to warrant any sympathy. If she had of released a song that was a drastic departure and then released the bra single then things might not feel so odd to me (more likely an album or an album full of singles in which she stayed clothed). It just seems a bit odd to me to say let me off the ride and then hop straight back on.

Low ticket sales cause Clarkson to shelve tour

By Sue Zeidler 1 hour, 21 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Pop singer and "American Idol" winner

Kelly Clarkson may want to consider singing the blues with all the turmoil in her life lately.

After feuding with her label for months over artistic control of her upcoming album, "My December," and abruptly firing her long-time manager this week, the singer pulled the plug on a summer concert tour on Thursday due to poor ticket sales.

"In the craziness of the music business, performing is what I look forward to doing the most, so it really is disappointing for me to have to tell you that I won't be coming out to tour this summer," Clarkson said on her Web site (www.kellyclarkson.com).

"The fact is that touring is just too much, too soon," said Clarkson, 25, who has sold an estimated 11 million records worldwide.

Clarkson promised fans she'd "get back out there as soon as is humanly possible."

Michael Rapino, chief executive officer of concert promotion company LiveNation, said, "Ticket sales have not been what we anticipated and we came to the realization that we had bit off more than we could chew."

The singer has been embroiled in a high-profile dispute with Sony BMG boss Clive Davis, credited with cultivating stars like

Whitney Houston, over her new album, "My December." Clarkson recently told "Elle" magazine that she rejected Davis' offer of $10 million to remove five songs from the album.

"My December," originally due out in April was delayed due to the falling out. It is set to be released on June 26.

The new album's first single, "Never Again," her seventh top-10 hit, fell six places to No. 17 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart Thursday.

Clarkson's debut album, "Thankful" (2003) sold 2.6 million units in the United States, while her follow-up "Breakaway" (2004) sold about 5.8 million units, according to Nielsen Soundscan.

Kind of sucky that it appears this is the answer to Kelly Clarkson actually trying to keep her music her own and not be a peon of pop. That and it's one of the pop releases I am actually looking forward to, because Kelly writes catchy shit.

Now begin with the inevitable "Good riddance" posts I'm sure the topic will receive.

• 3 weeks later...

Footnote to the story, here is the latest sales chart on the debuting week of My December.

Cyrus Sidesteps Clarkson To Debut At No. 1

July 04, 2007, 10:30 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

In a battle between two top-selling female acts, Miley Cyrus triumphed over Kelly Clarkson to score the No. 1 position on The Billboard 200 with the confusingly titled double album "Hannah Montana 2 (Soundtrack)/Meet Miley Cyrus." The Disney project sold a whopping 326,000 units in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Clarkson's embattled "My December" (RCA) opened at No. 2 with 291,000.

The "Hannah/Miley" album is a two-disc, 20-song set evenly divided between music from Cyrus' TV series "Hannah Montana" and her debut studio album. On one side of the album is cover art for "Hanna Montana 2," while the other side boasts artwork for "Meet Miley Cyrus." The first "Hannah Montana" soundtrack also debuted at No. 1 on The Billboard 200 last October with 281,000.

Clarkson's first-week total with "My December" improves on the opening frame of her 2004 smash "Breakaway," which started at No. 3 with 250,000. But the new album has been mired in controversy, beginning with rumors that RCA didn't like the self-penned material and continuing on with Clarkson's split with her manager and cancellation of her summer tour due to poor ticket sales.

Last week's No. 1, Bon Jovi's "Lost Highway" (Island), slips to No. 3 on a 57% sales decline to 125,000. The White Stripes' "Icky Thump" (Third Man/Warner Bros.) is down 2-4 after a 60% sales slide to 88,000, while Brad Paisley's "5th Gear" (Arista Nashville) falls 3-5 after a 59% drop to 81,000.

Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black" (Universal) rebounds 7-6 in its 16th chart week on a tiny sales increase to 63,000. Singer/songwriter Ryan Adams scores his highest position ever on The Billboard 200 this week with "Easy Tiger," which debuted at No. 7 with 61,000. The Lost Highway set trumps the artist's prior high-water mark of No. 26 with 2005's "Cold Roses."

Rounding out the top 10, Linkin Park's "Minutes to Midnight" (Machine Shop/Warner Bros.) descends 6-8 on a 9% decline to 57,000, Paul McCartney's "Memory Almost Full" (Hear Music) falls 5-9 with a 15.5% drop to 54,000 and Maroon 5's "It Won't Be Soon Before Long" (A&M/Octone) is down 8-10 after a 17% sales decrease to 51,000.

New at No. 15 is the Beastie Boys' instrumental album "The Mix-Up" (Capitol), which sold 44,000. It's a far cry from the opening week numbers for 2004's "To the 5 Boroughs," which debuted at No. 1 with 360,000. The rap trio's prior instrumental release, 1996's "The In Sound From the Way Out!," debuted at No. 45 and sold 22,000 in its first week.

Other notable debuts this week include Pearl Jam's seven-disc live boxed set "Live at the Gorge" (Monkeywrench/Rhino), which sold 19,000 to land at No. 36. The Paul Simon double-disc "Essential" album (Warner Bros.) starts at No. 42 with 17,000, while late Hawaiian singer Israel Kamakawiwo'ole debuts at No. 44 with "Wonderful World," selling 17,000 units. It's his biggest sales week ever, helping him garner his second No. 1 on Billboard's Top World Music chart.

Well, everybody got beat by High School Musical, so I wouldn't use that as a measuring stick too hastily.

Eh, yeah, but a musical and a pop soundtrack are two different beasts. This is a bit different that HSM in that Miley Cyrus does more poppy songs, the type of songs that might actually hit pop radio over Kelly. And I doubt Clive will give a shit whether it's a hit TV show's soundtrack or not, he's gonna see it exactly how he saw it before: as the type of record that won't do great in sales and as a case where "mainstream pop" beat his ace of pop. Then again, I'm talking out of my ass for now, especially since Breakaway didn't debut great, either...and went on to sell 5 million copies. That and for now it probably won't have a terrible chart dropping, as you notice that it's perfectly normal for a record to drop 60% after a week.

Kelly is fine. She will get even more album sales due to in large fact to her crossroads with Reba Mcentire. She gain a lot of people as fans with that venture. Just give it time, she will sell albums, and then tour later. that all it means. On a side note, are you sure Michelle Branch is coming back. On all Country interviews the girls have gone, they talk about it being permenent.

There's a difference between being tired of someone and not giving a shit about them.

What's funny is that she's probably the most famous Idol and her sales and such are still crap. It proves that the whole Idol system is flawed. Mostly because they trot these people out for so long that when they finally win, no one really cares. And if they actually do, why should they? There's already a new season out with new hopefuls to get beaten over the head with!