The Elders Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Ruki

Gold is a bitch early on in the game, but by doing the theives guild, you will make a nice sum. Just start breaking into houses and stealing random stuff. Plates, cups, books, daggers, anything. If you're lucky, you'll find jewlery. But I'd suggest doing the Dark Brotherhood quests last, since they are the most fun.

But yes....gold=stealing and pillaging bodies.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a character in the game called Shady Sam. He's just outside the castle. If you're in need of picks and in the area of the castle scale the sides of the castle. What I like to do is go to the Waterfront area (where the Theives Guild meet) and then proceed going right (when looking towards the water and your back to the castle). Stay close to the castle walls and you'll run into him very soon. He's always in the place you see him day and night. Perfect for picks.

• Admin

Well gold is no longer an issue for me as I now have 2000+ after pilfering the castles and selling the stuff to Ongar. I also used Sufferthorn from the Dark Brotherhood quests in the Arena to kill people pretty easy so I got easy gold that way.

Question, I killed the Slash and Smash shop owner in the market district, will this cause me issue?

I created a thief/assasin character that was perfect. I could kill almost everything without being spotted. I used a lot of venoms for arrows, an enchanted bow capable of dealing fire, frost and shock damage at once, a night eye helmet so I could see in the dark and a strong detect life spell. Oh, it was a Wood Elf too. Really awesome character and my best thus far.

So I got the game, been playing quite a bit the past two days and it is awesome except that I'm finding it a bit hard to navigate, I've read that there's so much to do I just don't know how to do it. Having a real hard time locating gold.

I had my first fight in the arena and won, but I've no potions left to try the next fight and haven't got enough gold to buy any.

Why do you need potions for the Arena? Just kill things! And when you get hurt, the well-like thing in the Red Room heals you after a fight. You get assloads of gold from the Arena too, so that deals with gold woes easily.

When I steal I always become wanted :(

That's because you suck :P

If you're going to steal anything, make sure you sneak, and no-one can see you. Then you can't become wanted. Use an invisibility spell/potion if you have one as well, they work wonders for thieves.

• Admin

So I got the game, been playing quite a bit the past two days and it is awesome except that I'm finding it a bit hard to navigate, I've read that there's so much to do I just don't know how to do it. Having a real hard time locating gold.

I had my first fight in the arena and won, but I've no potions left to try the next fight and haven't got enough gold to buy any.

Why do you need potions for the Arena? Just kill things! And when you get hurt, the well-like thing in the Red Room heals you after a fight. You get assloads of gold from the Arena too, so that deals with gold woes easily.

I wasn't able to kill things at the time I posted that. Since I got Sufferthorn, I'm unbeatable. :D

2. Be sneaky! If no one sees it, it didn't happen.

Lies. I did a quest for the Thieves guild where I had to steal something from a mage, accidentally stabbed him to death in the middle of a fucking forest, and was instantly thrown out of the Mages Guild. Who needs a shitty little stick anyway, Fighters Guild is more manly >_>

I still don't understand the point in enemies levelling up along with your character, but eh.

If you're on a PC, download Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. It's 300meg or so, but it extensively modifies the game and does away with that stupid leveling thing. It does mean that as a lowbie you can stumble into a nigh on unkillable minotaur in the wilds, but it basically adds a fuckload of content and sets it so that enemies are the same level wherever you go.

That is to say, a high level dungeon has high level foes. A field near a city has low level foes.

PS3, alas. That mod sounds like the way the game should have been. I booted it up for the first time in ages the other day. The Kvatch castle thing was one of the first things I did in the game, and the fire imp things were a pushover. I trailed off after closing the oblivion gate, and only now went back to finish it. I got raped by three frost atronach things in the basement of the church and didn't even manage to land a noticable hit. Fuckers.

I still don't understand the point in enemies levelling up along with your character, but eh.

If you're on a PC, download Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. It's 300meg or so, but it extensively modifies the game and does away with that stupid leveling thing. It does mean that as a lowbie you can stumble into a nigh on unkillable minotaur in the wilds, but it basically adds a fuckload of content and sets it so that enemies are the same level wherever you go.

That is to say, a high level dungeon has high level foes. A field near a city has low level foes.

Wow, nice. I wish I had the PC version now. I hate that they level with you.....a simple bandit shouldn't have Deadric Weapons and armor!