Rock The Bells 2007

Lowerdeck

It was previously mentioned in another topic, but I felt like bringing it up again.

http://rockthebells.net/

I'm going to the show on the 26th near Boston/Providence. The New York one on the 28th looks incredible, but that would be too much for me for one day, and too pricey. (Hell, the Boston show set me back nearly $60). But um, Wu-Tang, Talib, and Nas ... so worth it.

Anyone else going to any of these?

I'm going to the one in NYC, ordered my tickets the second pre-sale was available. I've never been more excited for a show, seeing Rage alone is gonna be amazing, not to mention Wu-Tang, Public Enemy, and all the other acts. Nas and MF Doom aren't playing at the one I'm going to, though, and that kinda ticks me off.

• 2 weeks later...

"Boston" (Mansfield, MA) show comments...

Went to the opening show last night.

The lineup...

- Jedi Mind Tricks

- Immortal Technique

- Pharoahe Monch

- Talib Kweli

- Cypress Hill

- Nas

- Wu Tang Clan

Was crazy show. I expected more tokers in the crowd, but there was plenty of blazing. Row in front of me, there was a (roughly) 15 year old kid with his seemingly hippie parents in the crowd. Father and son, smoking a blunt together. Mother was downing a few beers, grooving as if it was Woodstock 69.

Speaking of weed, the vocalists in Cypress Hill (the names are slipping me right now) had a bong on stage before "Hits From The Bong". (Does this not surprise anyone?) Nas pulled out a blunt before "Life's a Bitch".

Immortal Technique is insane ... and I don't mean by his talent. He's off his rocker. And for all the times he said he was Peruvian and black, he damn sure looks white.

Supernatural is a good freestylist, but it got tiring to hear about ticket stubs and cell phones and blunts over and over again.

A lot of people missed the first few acts of the show. People kept progressively showing up slowly until Talib, then a huge rush before Cypress Hill.

Cypress Hill had an inflatable Buddha on stage holding a weed leaf, thought that was pretty cool. Probably is normal for most their major shows however.

Nas, as I have heard in the past, goes through a lot of songs in his library. And as I've heard in the past as well, it's mostly one verse and the hooks.

Wu Tang had a very energetic set slightly over an hour long. All the other guys had half hour to 45 minute sets. One the guys (Method Man I think) jumped into the pit and crowd surfed at least 2-3 times. And there was a five minute or so segment in the memory of ODB ... including that 'Baby I Got Your Money' song, a sort of ODB chant, and lighters/cell phones in the air.

And of course, what Boston area sporting event or concert can't be complete without a Yankees suck chant? While not necessarily strong, it was definitely noticeable as people were leaving.

Cypress Hill was amazing. I can't believe he cleared that entire bong (it was like, 4 feet high). Wu-Tang was great of course, but not flawless. They didn't play some obvious songs (Bring Da Ruckus and Gravel Pit) and also, my favorite member of the Clan wasn't there (Ghostface). And apparently, Method Man has a fetish for stage diving. That was pretty cool standing on the hands of everyone and then jumping in during M.E.T.H.O.D. Man.