Champions League Season 2007/2008

Herr Matzat

What about the plenty of times Drogba had the ball outside the box? Lampard's dart inside? There were plenty of times Chelsea were threatening and they just needed to get a final shot away.

As I've said, I thought Liverpool were the better team but I don't think they were far and away better than Chelsea like some people seem to think.

So Quom, no, I'm not "shitting you" so shut up already.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus Christ mate strap a tampon on. It was all Liverpool. I can't really see how you can argue it unless you're a die-hard Chelsea fan (I'm not that huge on either team in all honesty). For every chance Chelsea had Liverpool had two. Even the stats back that up, everything was Liverpool's way. 1-0 is a fair result, 1-1 not really, which is what I took exception to.

Ugh, it would be Riise. Seriously, for months now I've been joking to my mates about how awful he is. When we were playing Arsenal I was saying "anybody but Riise!" in the dying seconds of the game because I was so worried he'd fuck up. And the same today. As soon as he came on I shouted across to my mate, "well, it was good while it lasted." He's a fraction of the player he used to be for us and I dunno how he's still getting played really. He wastes so many moves with horrible long shots when he hasn't been prominent at scoring them in ages and he's not exactly confident in possession. I hope he goes at the end of the season.

Edited by Pesci

I'm a Sunderland fan. I have no real favouritism towards Chelsea or Liverpool as I'd prefer Arsenal had won, and now I'm preferring Man Utd would win - so there's no biasism.

I'm not massive on Liverpool. But I don't think they dominated like you seem to think so.

I'm just sick of putting forward points, explaining them so people can respond in a childish manner and put forward a point like a 7 year old half the time. It happens all over the board with football comments it makes 'discussion' a virtual impossibility because no matter what you talk about, be in Footballer, NFL, NBA, NHL whatever, someone will just rip you apart despite you putting forward any evidence.

As I've said, I thought Liverpool were better. They had the more clear cut chances, which means they probably deserved to win. However Chelsea were never out of it. I thought their midfield worked well, Cole was a bit missing at times I suppose - and Malouda wasn't great but I thought Ballack, Lampard and Makelele had quite good games without being fantastic. Drogba for all his rolling around and diving (and Torres wasn't exactly perfect in that department either). I thought if Lampard had dragged the ball back when he got through it would have been a possible goal but his touch was just a little too heavy. Chelsea also had a few cross goal balls that just need a final touch to drag them in.

I don't think there was any point taking off Ballack at that stage and would have just took off Makelele or even Lampard, as I think Ballack was playing quite decent. Not his best by any standards, but he was pretty good. Done what he needed to do. The defence wasn't fantastic for Chelsea, and in contrast I thought Liverpool's was rather decent - well at least Carra had a good game and Skrtel I rate really highly. I thought they held their line quite well, and Chelsea aren't exactly clued up on the offside rule.

But yeah, 1-0 to Liverpool was a fair result for sure. But I'm still standing by the fact that 1-1 wasn't completely inappropriate.

Liverpool didn't dominate the game at all. Chelsea deserved a draw and could have easily snuck a 2-1 themselves.

It was a very evenly contested match, a lot better then what i was expecting. Chelsea started better for the first 30 minutes, then Liverpool were the better team until about the 70th and then Chelsea finished the match on top.

Cech was quality tonight, superb save from the Gerrard volley.

It's Chelsea's advantage, but it's not over yet.

I'm undecided who i want to win tomorrow but for the first time since Man U won the CL, i think i'm gonna give them my support, a Chelsea Man U final is what i'm pulling for now.

Even doesn't cut it. The advantage was Liverpool throughout the entire game until that last goal went in. Chelsea had a more productive 20-30 mins when they could have taken some chances if they tried. However, over the whole game Liverpool had more about them and would have been deserved 1-0 winners. I agree with IAceI however in saying 1-1 doesn't deflect from the story of the game. Chelsea could have gained a goal, but it was just the way life goes by having Riise concede the own goal.

I'm a Sunderland fan. I have no real favouritism towards Chelsea or Liverpool as I'd prefer Arsenal had won, and now I'm preferring Man Utd would win - so there's no biasism.

I'm not massive on Liverpool. But I don't think they dominated like you seem to think so.

I'm just sick of putting forward points, explaining them so people can respond in a childish manner and put forward a point like a 7 year old half the time. It happens all over the board with football comments it makes 'discussion' a virtual impossibility because no matter what you talk about, be in Footballer, NFL, NBA, NHL whatever, someone will just rip you apart despite you putting forward any evidence.

As I've said, I thought Liverpool were better. They had the more clear cut chances, which means they probably deserved to win. However Chelsea were never out of it. I thought their midfield worked well, Cole was a bit missing at times I suppose - and Malouda wasn't great but I thought Ballack, Lampard and Makelele had quite good games without being fantastic. Drogba for all his rolling around and diving (and Torres wasn't exactly perfect in that department either). I thought if Lampard had dragged the ball back when he got through it would have been a possible goal but his touch was just a little too heavy. Chelsea also had a few cross goal balls that just need a final touch to drag them in.

I don't think there was any point taking off Ballack at that stage and would have just took off Makelele or even Lampard, as I think Ballack was playing quite decent. Not his best by any standards, but he was pretty good. Done what he needed to do. The defence wasn't fantastic for Chelsea, and in contrast I thought Liverpool's was rather decent - well at least Carra had a good game and Skrtel I rate really highly. I thought they held their line quite well, and Chelsea aren't exactly clued up on the offside rule.

But yeah, 1-0 to Liverpool was a fair result for sure. But I'm still standing by the fact that 1-1 wasn't completely inappropriate.

Here, here. That's the main reason I don't discuss football much here. First off, you aren't actually allowed an opinion that conflicts with the popular belief and there is a certain elitism i've noticed among some of the football-posters here, not mentioning any names. But hey, that's EWB for you.

As far as the game goes, Liverpool had the best of it for sure... but it was always likely to happen when they didn't get a second.

That said, cracking finish from Riise.

The Riise goal was maybe the most crazy goal I've ever seen. Nearly the last kick of the game and I just never expected it to happen, what the fuck was he doing? I know some people have slated him, but I still think he's a good player, so I was shocked when he fucked up like that. As for the game itself, I enjoyed it quite a bit, which was surprising seeings though I don't like either team greatly. Torres/Gerrard is a brilliant partnership I must say.

As for tonights game, I'm hyped for it. I still think these two legs have the potential to be the best semi final in years, hopefully it delivers. Hopefully United can get a goal tonight. I think it'll be the best game in years personally, unless United/Liverpool meet in the final, which has potential to be the best game I've ever witnessed personally, I think that game just needs to happen.

I'm going to say 1-2 tonight. Just got this feeling that United can sneak a victory from Barca.

'm just sick of putting forward points, explaining them so people can respond in a childish manner and put forward a point like a 7 year old half the time. It happens all over the board with football comments it makes 'discussion' a virtual impossibility because no matter what you talk about, be in Footballer, NFL, NBA, NHL whatever, someone will just rip you apart despite you putting forward any evidence.

It has nothing to do with EWB elitism because that is only present in The Dome, The Cube and a bit in The Ring and I don't like it as much as the next guy. This just a matter of opinion and also of course bias by some people who obviously support their club. I think Liverpool deserved to win, Chelsea looked uninspired throughout the game, just completely spineless. Lampard continues to not impress me in important matches and Kalou was once again their most threatening player. I like that it ended in 1-1 though because this makes the second match a whole lot more interesting and also I don't feel like seeing Liverpool in a Champions League final again, it's time for a change.

Edited by QuasiTHEJUICE

There's no area that's elitist. It's the people that post. And they post here, they post in the lounge, they post in the Dome, the Ring, the Cube wherever.

They are here as well. The ones who think they're the most knowledgeable people in the world on a given topic, and for whatever reason think they're better than everyone else despite posting on a message board made for a Wrestling Simulator. People are in need of lightning up, I'm all for discussion and debate, but most people take it a step too far and bring in insults and just don't respect anyone else's opinion at all. And these are the people who think they're better than everyone...

Liverpool were definitely the better team and although we didn't dominate, I still think we should've won because of the fact that we were consistently better for almost the entire game. Torres had a poor showing and so did Babel in all fairness, but apart from that we were better across the whole pitch, the centre of the park in particular. Cech didn't really have many fantastic saves to make despite what a few people I've spoken to think, I mean the Gerrard save was good but apart from that, Torres would've scored on another day if he'd have done more with the few chances he had. So with that said, I don't think too much of an injustice happened here. We had chances to score more and we didn't, and most of that was down to us as opposed to the Chelsea defence/goalie.

Edited by Pesci

Personally I'd say the Cech saves were all Cech as opposed to poor from Torres. He wasn't as clinical, but that wasn't just him having a poor game by his standards. Cech was having a good game and just one upped Torres when it came to the goal scoring opportunities.

He looks ridiculous these days. I understand it's all protection and head injuries are major things but he looks ridiculous.

He looks like a retard with a protective helmet to stop him from falling over and smacking his head (although it looks like a giant dog toy) and a chin strap to keep it in place.

He looks ridiculous these days. I understand it's all protection and head injuries are major things but he looks ridiculous.

He looks like a retard with a protective helmet to stop him from falling over and smacking his head (although it looks like a giant dog toy) and a chin strap to keep it in place.

All the better for when he keeps clean sheets.

"Haha, you couldn't score against a retard." :shifty:

The Riise goal was maybe the most crazy goal I've ever seen. Nearly the last kick of the game and I just never expected it to happen, what the fuck was he doing? I know some people have slated him, but I still think he's a good player, so I was shocked when he fucked up like that.

The guy has played top level football for the best part of the decade and with that experience most people learn and improve. He has merely deteriorated as his physicality/stamina (his sole quality) has got worse over the years. Clever players overcome this but Riise hasnt yet learnt to clear a ball like that with his right fucking foot.

He cost us because a] he hasnt bothered to improve his right foot (note most players who are one footed dont have the confidence on the other foot but when called into action its ok-ish, not Riise!) and b] he doesnt have the presence of mind to make the right footballing decisions, stemming from picking passes, closing down, when to shoot, when to hoof under pressure or keep things calm and when to cler with the foot that will take the ball away from the goal!

"defended...quite well and unlucky" ; rubbish he got what he deserved, unfortunately for us.

That was posted on RAWK in January, just after Riise had scored an almost identical own goal against Luton in the FA Cup (except this time he DID use his right foot, and twatted it into the net). Every quote that described the Luton mistake could be applied to last night as he's been poor, borderline awful, for a couple of years now.

It's a shame because Riise was one of my favourite players during the middle portion of Houllier's reign, but he's a liability now. Chelsea's best chances came after he'd come on, which is no coincidence. I hope Finnan is fit for the second leg, so we can put Arbeloa on the left.

Guest ThunderSlam

I was really suprised that Ronaldo missed that PK, he had a wide open side just completly missed it though. Barcelona is planying pretty good right now, I wouldn't be suprised if they win this game (well i guess any team with that much star power can win any game).