Walk Hard

ROC

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And of course an accent makes a difference, Christian Slater and Kevin Costner are testiments to that in Robin Hood.

There's a big difference between Kevin Costner sounding like he's from Nebraska when he's supposed to sound English and Jack Black sounding like he's from Yorkshire instead of a place, what, two counties over?

If this was an American getting up in arms about "He didn't sound like he was from Alabama; he sounded like he was from Georgia," you all would be shitting yourselves. Come on now.

I would assume it's similar to the US in that it's just different areas of the country like a Boston accent vs. a Southern accent.

It's just kind of weird because the United Kingdom is about as big as Massachussetts.

Area

Total: 244,820 km² (79th)

94,526 sq mi

Area

Total: 10,555 sq mi

(27,336 km²)

Yes.. about as big. >_>

You know what I mean, smart ass.

There are states as big as any of the countries that make up the UK. It's just weird to think that people as far from each other as say... Vancouver and Calgary... have such vastly different accents, that it would largely affect someone's viewing pleasure of a film with characters from those places.

• 2 weeks later...

Jack Black's accent annoyed me a fair bit as well, and he didn't actually sound that English to me a lot of the time but I didn't really mind because the others were immense.

As for the film, I loved it. Much funnier than I expected, and the music was brilliant.

It was okay, no more no less.

Didn't think the movie was all that funny, with the exception of Dewey's recurring hatred of sinks, Elvis and The Beatles. On the subject of The Beatles, I thought Jack Black was piss poor, his accent seemed to slip into something more like Yorkshire than Liverpudlian. I used to be a big JB fan but I'm getting more and more convinced he should stick to Tenacious D (music, not another crap movie) and leave it at that.

The music saved the movie really. Like Pepsi said, the Dylan song was great and the Cash stuff was pretty good too. Jenna Fischer looked mighty damn fine too.

One of my good friends went and saw the movie, said it was completely horrible other then the roles of the Beatles played by the actors who played them. He said other then literally those guys being the beatles, it was horrible.

So, I'ma stray away from seeing this film. Unless someone can give me a good reason why it's a "must see."

Because your friend is wrong. It's a good, funny movie that one would more likely enjoy than hate. It isn't the best comedy to come out in 2007 (something hard to do with Knocked Up and Superbad) but it's still better than 90% of the other comedies. That and the music is just awesome in it. Jenna Fischer also looks amazingly hot in the movie so that's another reason right there.

But yes, the Beatles part is probably the best part of the movie; I will say that.

I fully enjoyed Super Bad and Knocked Up. I've never liked a single Jack Black movie, and I hate Napolean Dynamite (spelling?) with a passion. I also found Talladega Nights to be only very mildly entertaining, since I really dislike Will Farrel as well. So, do you still suggest me seeing it?