2007/2008 Hockey Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh...the only thing worse than a bandwagon fan is a FEMALE bandwagon fan.

I know whats worse.

Driving on the highway, looking over, and seeing that the car next to you is being driven by an old asian woman.

That is like suicide!

And they usually pick the team because so-and-so is hot.

A girl in my media ethics class wore a Jordan Staal jersey to class. I asked her if she was a Penguins fan she said "A what?"

I mentioned the jersey..."Oh, I just wear it because I think the guy's hot."

Facepalm.

Ugh...the only thing worse than a bandwagon fan is a FEMALE bandwagon fan.

I know whats worse.

Driving on the highway, looking over, and seeing that the car next to you is being driven by an old asian woman.

That is like suicide!

What if it's an old asian woman....on speed?

And they usually pick the team because so-and-so is hot.

A girl in my media ethics class wore a Jordan Staal jersey to class. I asked her if she was a Penguins fan she said "A what?"

I mentioned the jersey..."Oh, I just wear it because I think the guy's hot."

Facepalm.

To this day I'm convinced my friend only became a Pens fan because he wants to be the middle of a Staal-Crosby sandwich.

But yeah it's been ridiculous how many girls had names involving their cheering for the Pens and their wanton lust for Crosby on MSN.

Well that was a pretty fantastic season overall I would say. Congrats to Detroit on their 11th cup.

Now what I was wondering what teams you guys thought had a successful season and who had a failure season.

Off the top of my head, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Philly, Montreal, Washington and Boston definitely had successful years. With Toronto seriously, and unfortunately having a terrible failure of a year. Ottawa also falls into that category, I might get ripped for saying it but the Sens didn't deserve to make the playoffs. I don't follow the west too much so I don't want to make assumptions about them.

Also, What will Happen to Mats, Jagr and Sakic. Some of the names who could become available available are:

-Joe Sakic

-Ryan Malone

-Marian Hossa

-Georges Laraque

-Mark Recchi

-Andre Roy

-Pascal Dupuis

-Brendan Shanahan

-Cory Stillman

-Jaromir Jagr

-Paul Gaustad

-Jason Williams

-Sean Avery

-Steve Rucchin

-Kristian Huselius

Where do you guys reckon they'll land?

Edited by The Sultan of Swank

I might get ripped for saying it but the Sens didn't deserve to make the playoffs.

Ripped? I don't see how. You're spot on! The sens had a fantastic start, but the only reason they made the playoffs is because they ran out of games to lose.

My only hope for the Leafs in the summer is to draft smart and keep Mats Sundin. Without Mats, I may not have a reason to watch every game like I usually do. I hear that Pavel Kubina will be moved this summer. Some buyouts may also be coming. I would keep Jason Blake and hope he could turn it around. If he had shot his career average shooting percentage last year, he would have scored 30 or more goals.

I said it because there's some Sens fans on the board.

I'd really like Toronto to be competitive next season. They NEED to re-sign Mats, obviously it sort of handcuffs them salary wise for another year or two, but if they lose him, the entire organization looks terrible. If they can get some youth... *ahem* talented youth(no offense, but if I keep hearing bout Stajan or Wellwood being so fucking good I swear to God I'll just start verbally fellating the obvious awesomeness of Latendresse and Lapierre :P)

But yeah I'm really excited for Montreal next season. If they can sign someone decent up front, keep Streit, Kostitsyn, Halak etc. I mean they've got a great team.

Guest Dr. Potato Head

First of all, that sounds suspiciously like what people were saying about Jason Blake and Pavel Kubina. Secondly, why would any player in their right mind WANT to come to Toronto anymore?

Malone and Brooks Orpik have said repeatedly they want to stay in Pittsburgh. I believe them, so I have them both taking a discount to stay here. However if Orpik hits free agency he's gone.

I could see Hossa staying for less money as well, but he'd have to sign before free agency begins as I'm sure someone would throw a lot of money at him.

Is Markus Naslund available? There were rumors on Penguins fan sites that Ray Shero would target Naslund this offseason if Hossa left.

Malone and Brooks Orpik have said repeatedly they want to stay in Pittsburgh. I believe them, so I have them both taking a discount to stay here. However if Orpik hits free agency he's gone.

I could see Hossa staying for less money as well, but he'd have to sign before free agency begins as I'm sure someone would throw a lot of money at him.

Is Markus Naslund available? There were rumors on Penguins fan sites that Ray Shero would target Naslund this offseason if Hossa left.

As far as I'm aware, Vancouver's new management hasn't said much about the Naslund situation, but prior to the switch, it looked like Naslund was on his way to free agency. I could see him back in Pittsburgh, but I could see him with about a dozen other teams as well... so it should be interesting to see where he winds up. Hopefully no one signs him with the hope that he'll be able to lead them to something though. Those years are gone for him.

Hossa should know that Pittsburgh is the right fit for him - he was excellent for them.

Responding to Basha, people do overhype Stajan and Wellwood. Matt Stajan won't ever be the top or even second line centre. He has found his niche as a third line center that can chip in and can also fill in on the second unit when injuries arise. He won't be a star, but he is a solid NHLer. Wellwood doesn't look like he can play at the NHL level to me. He was great in 2006/07, but this season he stunk. Quotes came out FROM HIM about not wanting to work out and get in shape, and he just never showed that flair that he did before his injury.

Nikolai Kulemin is coming for 2008/09, and while he should play in the AHL for a year, he will probably get time with the Leafs. Probably our best prospect along with Pogge, Kulemin projects to be a second line scoring power forward.

The only other young guys I can think of right now that have some upside are Stralman and Steen. Anton Stralman has looked fantastic in international play, and he just needs to add a little size and defensive presence to be a really good defenceman for us. Steen, I have no clue what he is going to be. Will he be a checker? A scorer? I can't figure him out.

Vesa Toskala will be an impact player for the Leafs. I think he is one of the best goaltenders in the Eastern Conference. I would cringe any time someone took a shot at Raycroft - and that was when he won 37 games and I liked him. Toskala, on most nights, makes me feel secure. He actually stole a few games, which has been a rare thing coming from a Toronto goaltender since the lockout.

I don't know why I am talking about Vesa Toskala...