Emile Heskey Called Up

IAceI

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats the problem with England, they often underestimate opposition. Israel is #2 in our group, Russia is #3 - We are #4 and cannot honestly think that we'll beat them comfortably. Sure we have the home advantage but they will fight for a win, they're not going to give up and think "pah its England... in England. Why not throw in the towel now?".

Russia have also played well throughout the group and we cannot think that they are a weaker team solely because they have players we haven't seen in the premiership.

I don't really expect Israel to fight for anything more than a draw to be honest. A few counter attacks and corners and free kicks and then probably just a bit of defending. I don't neccessarily think they will be fighting for a win.

I'm trying to round people up to come watch it at the pub so we can shout at the referee, Steve McClaren and most of the underperforming England players. <_<

It's awesome we get a 20th minute goal really, something like that would have helped in so many games. If you score an early goal, the other team are fucked because they're all negative. So they have to either hold on to 1-0 and hope for a corner or a counter attack, or they have to go and attack, often leaving them spread out and easier to pick apart.

So great to get an early goal, no matter who scores it or how. As long as it's an early goal.

Haha, well played Heskey... second only to SWP in the man of the match stakes.

Hope everyone shuts up about Heskey now, it was the same when he was a regular. Yes, he's a mediocre footballer, but the guy is strong, he pushes defenders around and holds the ball up for players like Owen, Cole and Gerrard to play off. He's actually a nightmare for European defenders to deal with. And as someone said earlier, it's not a coincidence that Owen's best form has been partnering Heskey up front... I seem to remember a certain 5-1 win in which Heskey played and scored, not too many complaints then. But that's the English way... I remember sitting in a pub being one out of the ten people there defending Owen Hargreaves. Now look at it, a lot of people would have him as first choice. Fact is Heskey does a job, ask any Wigan fan, which is more than can be said for our other available would-be strikers.

EDIT ~ I love that when Johnson replaced him the ball barely got held up once, but of course that doesn't matter because Johnson scores goals right?

Oh... my mistake

Edited by Whisper in the Wind