Great PS3 games

Mattman

I'll be able to afford a PS3 in about April (a bit early to be asking this question but theres not harm in it.) So what great games are out there/going to be released before April and look great. I've already got my eye on Motorstorm, Resistance Fall of Man and Smackdown vs Raw 2008 (unless I buy it on PS2 or Wii first.) So any recommendations?

EDIT: The Simpsons game and Skate look great too.

Edited by Mattman

Nah, I think Zan was just being INCREDIBLY WITTY.

Kane and Lynch, Army Of Two, Stranglehold, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Assassins Creed, Condemned 2, The Darkness, Oblivion, Haze, and LittleBigPlanet all look pretty good, and should all be out before April. Unless, of course, only console exclusives can be counted as being "great".

MGS4 really DOES look amazing and I'll end up getting a console for that then going from there.

Resi 5 looks fantastic too but will be on the 360 also.

Pro Evo is apparantly shaping up to be a LOT better on the PS3 than the 360.

For me, F1 is still holding it's own. Great fun, good speed, lovely graphics, nice overall feel. Just a shame the teams are a season out of date - we need a new F1!

Games Released

Resistance: Fall of Man - Solid single player with a huge multiplayer community.

Motorstorm - Single player is difficult once you get to the 3rd level of tickets. Online is fun. Lacks offline multiplayer.

Warhawk - In my top three online games. Easy to pick up and play and very addictive.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma - Fun ninja game but difficult to master.

Games Not Yet Released

Heavenly Sword - Demo was short but played very well and looks nice. Kind of resembles God of war but with a girl.

Stranglehold - Collectors Edition comes with Hard Boiled so that is a bonus plus the game looks like a good action game.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Reason I bought the PS3. This game will be amazing.

Haze - made by the creators of timesplitters looks nice and should have some nice gameplay mechanics.

Uncharted: Drake`s Fortune - Kind of like a tomb raider game with a guy. Looks really good.

Rumour right now is that the PS3 80GB will take the 60GB PSW3 price tag when all the 60GB systems are gone.

Of the games I own...

Resistance - Meh to the single player. I don't know why but it doesn't jive well with me, especially when compared to a lot of other stuff. Characters animations seem clunky and I am sick of facing the same stuff over and over. Going up against the Stalkers the few times you do though is exhilarating. Doesn't help having a mind numbingly boring story to go with rather generic sequences that were done better in what it's trying to pull off (namely Halo and Half-LIfe) Online is great though. The variety in the weapons and large community makes it great.

Warhawk - Awesome game. Feels like a legit full on war on some of the map variations you can choose: with tanks, jeeps, infantry and Warhawks just going all about. Quick fun. Shame about having no single player or anything really offline, but still fun. Got it for $40 with the headset and all, which was a great deal.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma - Honestly, haven't played it. We got it for my girlfriend (who likes stuff like it, DMC, God of War, etc.) but it looks pretty cool. Seems hard as fuck though.

As for things in the future...

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - The game I bought one for. I absolutely loved the Ratchet & Clank games, and this one is proving to be just as good if not better. Especially since their diverting back to the style of the first four.

Uncharted - Action adventure with lots of nifty platforming and good looking gun play, made by Naughty Dog. Not much more needs to be said.

LittleBigPlanet - This game looks fantastically fun and awesome. Can't wait for it's release, one of the bigger reasons I wanted a PS3.

Infamous - Superhero style game with a dark edge to it with moral complications made by the Sly Cooper guys.

Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy shit and God of War III. I am not as impressed by everyone else with Metal Gear Solid 4, but I loved the first two (still have yet to play the 3rd) but it should be decent. Watching a "7 minute trailer" that is entirely in game cinematics is not interesting. The game play shown from Kojima's demo seemed interesting from what I've seen but nothing "awesome and innovative". I guess I'm not just buying into the hype. As for Final Fantasy, well I own them all and have played them all. I enjoy the games and will likely pick up the next instalments, but nothing earth shattering. And same with God of War, not something that means I craved the system, but was a nice little bullet point on selling it to me. Same goes for a possible future Kingdom Hearts game.

But eh, I have all three now, so I have no "allegiance" or need to promote one over the other, All three have their strengths and weaknesses (some more apparent right now with a couple of them than others).

I should of mentioned that my parents won't let me have 18's and aren't too keen on letting me have 15's (the only 15's I own are the Smackdown games, the tony hawk games and call of duty 3.)

With what I can see of the games Kane and Lynch looks like its going to be an 18, despite looking incredibly awesome. If its a 15 I'll probably end up getting it at some point.

Warhawk looks stellar, I like 3rd person games way more than 1st person. And I've never played a flying game (apart from wipeout but thats not exactly flying) so if I hate the flying the ground should more than make up or that.

Ninja Gaidem Sigma....... ninja's....... meh.

I can't stand that Ratchet and Clank series, or Jak and Daxter, or anything remotely similair (bar Crash.)

Uncharted looks like a definite possibility.

Littlebigplanet looks extremely different. I might rent it.

The write-up for infamous sounds great. It'll be interesting to see how this one develops. I'll probably get that one eventutally.

Metal Gear Solid 4, stealth games aren't really my thing.

Heavenly sword looks ok, doubt I'll be picking it up unless I see it really cheap anywhere.

Strangehold doesn't strike me as something I should go out and buy straight away. Doubt I'll be buying it.

Haze looks ***** if it was 3rd person it would look like a game of the year candidate (in my eyes) but its first person, but it should still be great.

Formula 1 racing never fails to bore me. If I do but a racing game it would be street racing or a fun racing game (like Crask Nitro Kart or Super Mario Kart.)

Army of two is 18+ :crying:

Assasins creed looks like something I'd definetely get with the console.

Condemned 2 looks like it will be 18....... and crap.

Darkness is 18.

The first 5 games I'll probably get are Motorstorm, Resistance Fall Of Man, Haze, Warhawk and Assasins Creed.

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions.

EDIT: Haze is 18 god dammit. Replace Haze with Infamous then.

Edited by Mattman

Warhawk looks stellar, I like 3rd person games way more than 1st person. And I've never played a flying game (apart from wipeout but thats not exactly flying) so if I hate the flying the ground should more than make up or that.

You don't even have to touch a Warhawk if you don't want to. A lot of the action generally takes place on the ground, and is quite fun. But the Warhawks control very well, either with the tilt controls or analog.

I wouldn't get it for full price though.

I can't stand that Ratchet and Clank series, or Jak and Daxter, or anything remotely similair (bar Crash.)