The "How I Met Your Mother" Season 3 Thread

Ash J. Williams

They started with -DARY! Greatest cliffhanger resolution ever!

The episode was wonderful. HIMYM is so comfortable in its hipness that it's a wonder the show isn't massively popular. Oh wait, it's on CBS, the network who's viewers are more likely to have a hip replacement than watch a hip show. :shifty:

• 2 weeks later...

This episode was INCREDIBLE. I loved every second of it and couldn't turn away at all. I will now buy a Winged Eagle Title for myself, David, Beatnik, and Fitzy to vie for in such a manner.

• 7 months later...

BUUUMP

I've got to say, season three has been so up and down for me. The opening couple of episodes (about Robin and Ted's breakup and the Argentinian) were good. How I Met Everyone Else is one of my favourite episodes by far. Spoiler Alert, Slapsgiving, The Yips, The Platinum Rule, No Tomorrow.... all awesome.

The writer's strike seems to have killed what I loved about the show. In fact, with the exception of Sandcastles in the Sand and The Chain of Screaming, most every episode since the show's return has been fairly weak. Sarah Chalke just seems to be a slightly less neurotic Elliot, Britney Spears is horrible, and the greatest part of the show (in my eyes, the group dynamic) has been foregone for a bunch of nonsensical, largely uninteresting side plots. Robin hasn't had anything meaningful to do (except Barnet, boom tish) in a while and seems relegated to cameo appearances. Ted's relationship with Stella is boring, and even Marshal and Lily, who I love - aren't clicking like they were pre strike.

In fact, the sole thing I tune in for is Barney, and tonight's episode (Everything Must Go) was substandard even for him. I blame Britney.

The season's got one episode to go, and hopefully that will see Stella out of the picture (since it's obvious she's not the mother) so that the writers can stop, think, and work on making sure season four isn't anything like post strike season three.

Final episode: Shit, shit, shit.

The sole notable occurence that made me give a damn was Barney's realisation after his accident. It wasn't a funny episode, which is ok when the drama is right, but the drama wasn't. Ted/Stella's relationship has bored six colours of fuck out of me, and the chemistry between the two has been next to non existent.

Take advantage of the break, watch the original series and the pre-strike stuff, and go from there.