The Jeffster Memorial Chuck Thread

Guest Ringmaster

Well that... could have been better, honestly. It just felt off.

Emmett's death was one of the best scenes the show's ever done, though. Really surprising dark humor given that it's Chuck, of all shows.

Keep in mind Chuck was against some pretty strong competition in The Simpsons Anniversary Special, this is great news for a potential season four.

Bill will have the full overnight report up shortly, but the firsthour of the season 3 premiere of Chuck averaged 3.0 rating with adults18-49 and 7.7 million viewers and the second hour averaged 2.9 ratingwith adults 18-49 and 7.2 million.

These were the best numbers since last year's 3D episode the Mondayafter last year's Super Bowl. Definitely a strong premiere for ascripted show by this year's standards on NBC.

From TVBythenumbers.

Edited by Jacob

Yeah, those ratings are HUGE for Chuck and NBC as a whole, seeinb as NBC does such shit with scripted shows.

As for the shows themselves...

The two episodes definitely had a change of pace to them. I liked it, however. It was a little too heavy on Chuck/Sarah drama, but I feel like it was needed with how the last 2 episodes of Season 2 went. They had to follow up on that, and the way they went about it was indeed really good. I know they'll be, again, not together in the season, but the writers do a damn good job with it.

The writers did wonderful with Intersect 2.0 Chuck. He's not a super spy, and he never will be because he's bumbling Chuck. He struggles to flash and keep it in control, which the show needs to keep up with how Chuck has been in the first two seasons.

While it sucks that the budget cuts means Anna Wu and Emmitt are out of the show, and some of the other supporting characters won't be in every episode now, Tony Hale's exit was fucking phenomenal. It's a shame he's out of the show, but c'mon, the slow-mo shot to "Hold On" playing in the background, after calling the baddie a "pussy". Oh fucking gold.

Jeffster, Morgan, and Casey all delivered like they usually do, and t'was awesome to see Carina back. She's a bombshell, that one.

And on the ratings, while they're great ratings, it's a different night and time. Sunday usually gets better ratings than Monday night's, I would think. Tonight is the really important night, from a ratings standpoint. It's back at its regular time slot, and we have to see how many people tune back in. I'm a realist, so I do see a ratings drop, although hopefully not too much.

If the numbers can stay above last season's average tonight, they're in great shape. Everything at NBC is down this year, pathetically so. With those lowered standards, coupled with the fact that the 10pm hour is going to be back in play starting in March, opens a great window of opportunity that many Chuck fans who are ratings realists didn't foresee when it was renewed last May. Well, I guess we saw the ratings struggles continuing because, let's be honest, it's still NBC. But hey, NBC promotions did a great job getting the word out, and hopefully enough of those new viewers stick around to give the show a strong enough base to not only get renewed, but to position itself as a tentpole show on a rebuilding NBC.

That was much better. It felt a lot less over-the-top than last night and mostly got back to what made Chuck an enjoyable show last season. It helps that the Chuck/Sarah will they-won't they crap was cut down to three scenes or so and the last scene was cute enough in a "woohoo, status quo again" way.

And holy shit, the ending. Thank god for the "next week, on Chuck" preview because I was about to lose my shit at that.

EDIT: I do feel that the new intersect setup kills a lot of the drama, though. Chuck used to need to use genuine ingenuity and cleverness to get out of trouble and now it's just him waiting to flash on the correct skill he needs. It feels like a lazy copout instead of the satisfying Took a Level in Badass idea it's supposed to be.

Chuck averaged a 2.6 rating with adults 18-49and 7.322 million viewers. Down around 10% from Sunday’s two-hourpremiere. Full post coming soon, but I’ll leave you with this: Heroes averaged a 2.1 rating at 9pm and 4.7 million. Yikes!

TVBythenumbers

Up against The Batchelor, How I Met Your Mother and HOUSE? The words 'fourth season looms' springs to mind. This show has exploded.

And the ratings are in: 2.6 rating with adults 18-49 and 7.322 million altogether. Drop off from Sunday, obviously, but not by much. That's very good for Chuck, and amazing by NBC's standards, seeing as I think Heroes was like a 2.1 and only 4 million or some viewers.

As for the episode... AWESOME~! (sorry, had to)

Felt it was a better episode than the first two, as it wasn't so Chuck/Sarah heavy. The actor who portrays Captain Awesome has always been great, so nice to see him get an episode that was very centric on him. Casey was classic in this episode as well, and yeah, that cliffhanger... whew. For a moment, I feared he too was dead. You know they're making budget cuts, so someone else could go, so yeah. Was worried, but thank goodness Devon's alive.

That episode was great. Like others, I liked it better than the first two and honestly, I would have loved to have prevented myself from seeing the next week's preview. For one second I believe Awesome's dead, and all that shock goes away in about 4 seconds when they show the preview, without mentioning Awesome's poison..nous

shifty.gif state.

So like. I can't be the only one

Who hopes Brandon Routh's role is in a few more episodes. I quite liked Agent Shaw. Also the Fight Club arc at the Buy More was amazing, especially with Lester doing that routine from The Warriors. "Mooorgan, come out to plaaaa-aaaayyy.. Moooooorgaaaaaan, come out to plaaaaa-aaaaaaayyyyy!"

Chuck did a 2.5 rating in the demos with 6.66 million viewers. Nice to see it held pretty well in the demos even against the 24 premiere. Heroes on the other hand only managed to hold 59% of its lead in, posting a 1.7 in the demos and 3.97 million viewers. NBC has to see the writing on the wall here. One show is doing excellent year to year retention, the other is eroding faster than the chances of the Tonight Show being watchable in a month.

So like. I can't be the only one

Who hopes Brandon Routh's role is in a few more episodes. I quite liked Agent Shaw. Also the Fight Club arc at the Buy More was amazing, especially with Lester doing that routine from The Warriors. "Mooorgan, come out to plaaaa-aaaayyy.. Moooooorgaaaaaan, come out to plaaaaa-aaaaaaayyyyy!"

He's signed on to do 8 episodes so he'll be around for a bit. And yeah, I loved the Buy More Fight Club arc but the whole episode was, well, awesome.

Chuck did a 2.5 rating in the demos with 6.66 million viewers. Nice to see it held pretty well in the demos even against the 24 premiere. Heroes on the other hand only managed to hold 59% of its lead in, posting a 1.7 in the demos and 3.97 million viewers. NBC has to see the writing on the wall here. One show is doing excellent year to year retention, the other is eroding faster than the chances of the Tonight Show being watchable in a month.

Holy shit, that's great news for Chuck. I thought 24 might take a chunk out of its ratings (I probably would have ended up watching it but I hated night one of the two-night premiere, so I'm just going to check it out on Hulu), but wow. At this rate the prospect of season four seems more and more likely than I previously thought, and that's good because the last two episodes have been reminding me of what a fun show it can be. As played out as the "guy makes up a bad lie while another guy tries to mime out ideas to him" gag is, Captain Awesome's delivery made the whole thing hysterical.

I didn't even hear the "grizzly" pun when watching the show because I was laughing too hard at the lie going completely off the rails. Captain Awesome has solidified himself as my favorite character on Chuck in the last week.

Chuck's overnight numbers - 2.5 in adults 18-49, 6.94 million viewers. So the demo's leveled off well above NBC average, and the viewers were up a tick over 4%. This is terrific news. Next big challenge: the return after being off the air for two weeks when the Olympics come.

Shaw and Chuck are an awesome little combination, I love how he's slowly becoming kind of like an older brother to Chuck and helping him mature into a real spy. I get the feeling there's going to be some Shaw/Sarah going down though. >_>