Night Of The Living Dead

Scott McFly

So I bought a copy of the Collector's Edition of Night Of The Living Dead a while back, and decided to break it out for the first time the other day, what with it being Halloween and all. But after reading up about the specific version, it appears to be edited, with scenes missing and some cut. And then reading Wiki about it, it seems there's a fairly new colorized (sic) version from 2004.

So does anyone own a version of the film on DVD they can recommend to me as the most complete one? There's a few newer ones on Amazon, but there's no reviews so I have no idea if they're any good. Ideally, no cuts, restored picture and audio, original black and white is fine (although I'm interested by this new 2004 colour version), and must be region 2.

And is the 1990 remake worth a fiver?

Here's the review I read, with the comments at the bottom indicating the cuts:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=58553

No idea about the 2004 version, the 1990 version's utter bollocks, though, can't stand it. It hasn't got any of the atmosphere, and I hate the lead woman being the strong independent heroine, because it completely takes away the style of the original. The only good thing about it is that they seem to have found a near-identical black actor to play Ben :shifty:

That and the ending isn't nearly as good;

At the end of the original, Ben survives but is shot as he leaves the house, reportedly because he's mistaken for a zombie, but there's also the school of thought that it's simply because he's a black man in the deep South. In the remake, he becomes a zombie, and is shot. So you lose the desperation at the end of the first, and you lose the whole feeling that Ben saved the day but it amounted to nothing, whereas in the remake it's "Oh, well he's a zombie now, so that was justified", you still get an ending where pretty much everyone is dead, but without any of the symbolism or meaning behind it.
Edited by Maximillian Von Rocketlegs

To be clear, the 2004 version isn't a new film, just a (pretty good looking) colorised version of the 1968 original. I can only find reference to it on Wiki tho...

EDIT: Found the 1990 remake for £3.99 now. Although I suppose I'm just interested in seeing it for the sake of it, so I might just try to rent it.

Edited by Scott McFly

I saw Flight Of The Living Dead in HMV the other day, and God I was tempted. I love zombie movies, and it pretty much fits the formula; a great zombie movie needs to be set in an inescapable confined space...a plane couldn't be more apt, quite frankly.

Get the original cut, ignore the remake (which is terrible), and ABSOLUTELY watch this in black and white. I'm a huge Night of the Living Dead, and watching the movie in black and white gives it almost a documentary quality that really ramps up the claustrophobia and psychological tension.
Edited by The Rated-R Superstar

I saw Flight Of The Living Dead in HMV the other day, and God I was tempted. I love zombie movies, and it pretty much fits the formula; a great zombie movie needs to be set in an inescapable confined space...a plane couldn't be more apt, quite frankly.

Plane? Pfft. Put them in a submarine and we are talking.

Get the original cut, ignore the remake (which is terrible), and ABSOLUTELY watch this in black and white. I'm a huge Night of the Living Dead, and watching the movie in black and white gives it almost a documentary quality that really ramps up the claustrophobia and psychological tension.

If, however, you find black and white movies hard to get into, the colorized version from 2004 is fairly well done. The company that made it has gotten better since, but it's more than acceptable. In fact, regardless of which you prefer, get that set. It has both the colorized version and the original, unedited version, with all scenes left intact on both. In addition to that there's also an awesome audio commentary with Mike Nelson of Mystery Science Theater 3000 fame.

Edited by TheRyno