Assassin's Creed Thread

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More previews of the final build.

Our first impressions of Assassin's Creed weren't so shining. The then-unclear control scheme left us confused and the overly harsh enemy AI made it hard to have fun inside the medieval city walls. But that was then and now that we've got the near final code sitting on our laps we couldn't feel more differently about it...

We got the game sleeves in work today. I nicked a PS3 one and will get some pictures up here.

In the UK it's a 15 certificate.

This is a good interview: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nLg5tQEPWGw&NR=1

I like the idea of "Freeing citizens" missions and the whole high points in a district thing. Also researching for one mission, changing your mind, going for another mission then returning to the first again. (Y)

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

PB080673.JPG

PB080675.JPG

PB080674.JPG

Splendid.

360 is pretty much the same, just longer. :)

Oh and not trying to put anyone off, but remember this fella from the Gaultier aftershave advert:

jpg-le-male.jpg

That's who they got in to be Altair's face/body. (Y)

Kinda cool.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

The review embargo ends at midnight pacific time tonight, but the basic theme from people who’ve played it is that it’s Crackdown with a story, better exploration, bigger cities, better graphics, and better animation. The core game play is repetitive as you’ll be doing the same thing for every assassination. The side quests boil down to you fighting a group of guards that either attack you on sight (Templar) or are harassing people. So again, if you liked Crackdown, you’ll like this, otherwise you probably won’t.

The only site which has given it an average review that I've seen is IGN, which was a 7.7 and a 7.5 for 360 and PS3 respectively. Everything else is above 9 from what I've seen.

1up gave it a 7.0

Though I'm focusing on a lot of Assassin's Creed's faults, this doesn't mean I didn't enjoy playing the game -- it attempts a lot of ambitious things and it almost succeeds at every one. But it's apparent that these grandiose ideas may have been a little too much to master the first go-round. But hey, at least the groundwork is laid for a killer sequel -- right, Ubisoft?

If any video game gets a score of a 5 it's probably one of the worst games released that year. A "poor" score is in the 6's as far as I've seen. A 7-7.9 is considered average to just above average, anything in the 8 range is very good, a 9-9.25 is GOTY quality and anything above that is legendary.

Also, on a scale of 1-10 a 5.5 is an average score.

Edited by naiwf

See, this is why I hate rating ANYTHING with numbers, letters, stars, whatever. People can interpret it however they want.

"7? Well that's 70% out of 100%, in my grading system at school, that's a D-!!!!! FLOP!!!!!!!!"

"Nuh-uh, 7 is average or good! 8 is great, 9 is amazing and 10 is perfect! This game rulez!!!"

Just review games with a thumbs up or thumbs down. You either enjoy the game or you don't, simple as that. The actual review article should discuss whether or not it's the greatest game ever made. Of course, people don't read, so it's not surprising we have to use asinine number systems.

I think it's more the fault of reviewers and that to be honest, but it's really a discussion for another thread. Logically, 5 out of 10 would be an average score, I think too many games hit the 7 or 8 mark when they're really not that good. It may be an American thing (no offense), as games magazines I read, like gamesTM, are usually pretty bang on.

See, this is why I hate rating ANYTHING with numbers, letters, stars, whatever. People can interpret it however they want.

"7? Well that's 70% out of 100%, in my grading system at school, that's a D-!!!!! FLOP!!!!!!!!"

"Nuh-uh, 7 is average or good! 8 is great, 9 is amazing and 10 is perfect! This game rulez!!!"

Just review games with a thumbs up or thumbs down. You either enjoy the game or you don't, simple as that. The actual review article should discuss whether or not it's the greatest game ever made. Of course, people don't read, so it's not surprising we have to use asinine number systems.

Edited by Thatz

Yeah, people are panicking for no good reason really. I'll still pick it up because it's not the combat or anything I anticipate. It's climbing up really tall buildings and jumping off them that I find amusing.

But as for reviews, I tend to go with gametrailers and a 9.1 is good enough for me. That Japanes magazine....Famita(fuck Hammy get in here) gave it a good grade as well and they always seem to know what they're doing.