Super Mario Galaxy

abundant

It's hilarious that the sales for Galaxy are bombing. Or should I say, bomb-omed.

Yeah, but it's being outsold in the UK by the likes of The Simpsons Game and SDvR08 - thus proving that people are simply idiots.

I copy in the article from The Guardian:

Mario Galaxy sales less than super?

It may have reviewed well but Super Mario Galaxy has had a relatively slow start in the UK charts. Straight in at, er number 5, the Nintendo icon's new game was outsold by the mediocre likes of The Simpsons Game and WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2008. Assassin's Creed - which took the top slot - is the fastest selling new IP since The Getaway in 2002 and apparently sold over three times as many copies as Mario.

There are some obvious points to note. All the games above Mario in the chart are multi-format, and Assassin's Creed in particular has been heavily hyped to the core gaming audience. And you can't discount those Wii stock shortages. But could it be an issue with game itself?

20 and 30-something gamers are happy to relive those halcyon days when Mario was *the* gaming icon. But is Super Mario Galaxy too hardcore for the average Wii user? Finely judged jumps and tricky platforming are a long way from the bowling in Wii Sports. Super Mario Galaxy requires old fashioned gaming skills like practice and patience - granny won't be clamouring for a go come Christmas Day.

Nintendo has consistently reiterated their support for their "core" market with the likes of Zelda, Metroid and now Mario. But could that change in the future if Big Brain Academy and the like start outselling the gaming veterans?

Did I miss the moment when basic platform gaming became "too tricky" for the general population?

Edited by stokeriño

Er, De, it was referring to the UK market there more than the US one, but I see where you're going with that :P

Anyway: LOVE the game so far, it's great fun. The... oh, what's the name of the galaxy where you have those sticky sling-things and you have to time your throws so you don't hit the flying bombs? Whatever it is, THAT was tough to angle the shots right so I'd hit the next sticky thing, but once you hit the checkpoint near the end it's all gravy: I died on purpose several times because every time I'd come back, I could get two extra lives by catching the mass amounts of star bits in the area, then throwing myself towards the 1-Up Mushroom. Sometimes I could get upwards of three lives before dying on purpose to come back and collect more.

And by "on purpose" I mean sometimes I missed my target when I threw myself at it and claimed that I meant to do that >_>

Either way, because the star bits save over whenever you continue, I got up to 999 star bits and then couldn't go any higher. Was awesome whenever I came back with all that and added it to my count.

I currently have 27 stars, I think I've gotten 3 Grand Stars (that's counting the first one you get, plus two from the first two domes). I've only just gotten the kitchen dome unlocked, along with the library, and the first two chapters of Rosalina's story. The star bits are incredibly cute... the noise they make when you feed them so many star bits they swell up and transform is funny as hell, too.

And yeah, the Sweet Sweet Galaxy pissed me the hell off for a good long while there before I finally beat it. Christ, that galaxy was annoying.

3 reasons:

1) Shortage of SMG stock

2) Complete and utter shortage of Wii stock on which to play the game on in the first place

3) Wii hardware buyers seem to just stick with Wii Sports and never touch any other software

Actually, on reflection and having looked at the charts, have you seen the games above it?

1) Assasins Creed - One of the most hyped games of the year and availible both on 360 and PS3.

2) Call of Duty 4 - Again, mucho hypo and availible on 4 systems.

3) The Simpsons Game - Can anyone say popular liscence? Plus it's probably easier to list which systems this isn't on.

4) Smackdown vs RAW 2008 - See above.

There still is a lot to be said for stupid people but there is a lot of reasons why it isn't topping the charts, whatever benefit it gains from that. It's a lot of hoo-hah over nothing.

Edited by TheEllisComplex

• 9 months later...

So I've got back into this, I totally forgot what a gem of a game it is, my only problem being that sometimes, when enemies need defeating, you aren't given nearly enough information on how to beat them, and when you do know how it becomes way too easy. Bosses need more than three hits damnit >_<

I unlocked Luigi but haven't had the time to go back through the whole game again as him. Tried playing for a bit, love the classic "jumps higher, slides farther" feel to Luigi, for some reason I always loved that they made him bumbling despite him being stronger then Mario is, just because it shows how his timidness is what's stopping him from surpassing his brother. Fun stuff.

I couldn't really get into this for some reason back when I had my Wii, I guess I've just grown out of the Nintendo mentality but for a while it was interesting at least. I just don't like the whole "WE'RE TAKING IT TO SPACE" aspect and the grappling from star to star portions. Although I do like the way that they pulled off the "let's have you do some amazing things that look hard, but when you actually do it... it's quite easy" portion of Nintendo games. They put something in front of you that looks massive, you think "how the hell am I going to do this" and when you do it, and find out that they've made it easy to do fun shit, it's pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...