Dragon Ball: The Movie

figos

20th Century Fox has set Justin Chatwin (The Invisible, War of the Worlds) to play Goku and James Marsters ("Smallville," "Angel," "Buffy the Vampire Slayer") as the villain Piccolo in Dragon Ball Z.

In the big screen adaptation, Goku is a powerful warrior who protects the Earth from an endless stream of rogues bent on dominating the universe and controlling the mystical objects from which the film takes its name.

Actor/writer/director Stephen Chow (Kung Fu Hustle) is producing. Final Destination helmer James Wong will direct from a script he wrote. Ben Ramsey wrote an earlier draft.

The story is based on Akira Toriyama's popular manga that has spawned graphic novels, a long-running TV series and more than 25 video games. The Jump Comics division of Tokyo-based Shueisha published the "Dragon Ball" manga.

With shooting scheduled to begin later this month, Fox will bow the sci-fi/adventure worldwide Aug. 15. Chatwin has already begun training with 87Eleven, the stunt performance company behind the action sequences in The Matrix, The Bourne Supremacy,Mr. & Mrs. Smith and 300.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically, in my opinion right now the best thing the movie has going for it is the presence of Stephen Chow in any way, shape, or form. I kind of wish he were the one playing Goku, though, even though I don't know how much English he actually speaks.

Edited by GoGo Yubari

I would kind of love it if they'd just done a horrible dubbing job with him and then had a completely English speaking cast otherwise, just for how surreal it would be.

I'm with GoGo here... words have just entirely escaped me. The whole "Live Action DBZ" thing has been a joke for the longest time, and now they're making it a reality, and it scares the ever-loving shit out of me.

I was a lot more excited about this back in 2003. But now I realize how utterly shitty it may (and probably will) be. If this movie sucks hard, it's gonna me regret seven years of fanaticism. What fun.

To be honest, I don't mind the casting. But after reading what they're doing (read here http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=12002) I'm just annoyed how much they're butchering the story.

I was a lot more excited about this back in 2003. But now I realize how utterly shitty it may (and probably will) be. If this movie sucks hard, it's gonna me regret seven years of fanaticism. What fun.

To be honest, I don't mind the casting. But after reading what they're doing (read here http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=12002) I'm just annoyed how much they're butchering the story.