The Departed Question

OGpistolpete

No, I think he just got the letter from the girl both Damon and Di Caprio were seeing that Di Caprio told her to open if anything went wrong, which fingered Damon as the mole, so Wahlberg was just getting revenge/cleaning up the situation.

No, I think he just got the letter from the girl both Damon and Di Caprio were seeing that Di Caprio told her to open if anything went wrong, which fingered Damon as the mole, so Wahlberg was just getting revenge/cleaning up the situation.

Yeah, that's what I got from it as well.

I never understood the moive on the first viewing, but the second one I payed more attention so it was a lot better and more understandable.

Damon's character is a mole inside of the police dept. for Nicholson, who is an informant for the FBI and who has Di Caprio a part of his team, who is a mole put into Nicholson's little group by Wahlburg and Queenan I think the characters name is. My first viewing near the end I was wondering what significance the envelope that Di Caprio saw on Damon's desk was, but the second viewing I saw that it was the envelope Di Caprio wrote on earlier to show someone how to spell a word when Nicholson wanted everyones SS numbers so he could pass it onto Damon's character to find out who in his group was a mole put in place by the police.

To me, it's a pretty big plot hole. In the film, Wahlberg's character had vanished. Di Caprio couldn't get a hold of him, neither could Anthony Anderson or anybody. They never explained how he found out Damon was the mole unless he killed him just because he thought Damon was a tool.

I don't understand how people don't get this film.

It is obvious Damon is the mole, because he is the one always talking with Frank Costello etc. Wahlberg killed him at the end because he obviously found this out, and after everything that happened, including Martin Sheen's character dying, he was just making things right as Damon was shown to be a hero, when he wasn't.