Xbox 360 Hard Drive vs Memory Stick thingy?

Liam

Since I'm still flitting around about what I'd want from my next gen console, I thought I'd just ask this question.

With the new Xbox 360 Arcade out, if you don't really plan on downloading anything from the X-Box Live content (I'm not fussed about demos or other stuff that seem to be on offer), would the memory stick available with the Arcade console although you sufficient memory for game saves? I think it has 256mb, or something like that. Does that sound a lot comparable to game save size?

Saves can start getting bloated. Heck, so can Gamer profiles (mine was at 3 and my girlfriend's at 2).

I personally see the memory unit as a waste, with the hard drive being a better value.

Then again if you only plan on every playing a handful of games, ever, than I suppose just the memory unit would suffice.

And if the itch to download anything off Live showed up, you wouldn't be able to. Even some of the smaller arcade games are around the 40Mb mark.

The price of the 20GB hard drive is ridiculous compared to the price of the 120GB hard drive - about £70 compared to about £120. I wouldn't consider it.

As for save game sizes, I remember noticing one of them being 4mb, but I can't remember which one.

I'd say, if at all possible, hard drive. The Arcade comes with 5 Arcade games anyway so they will take up the bulk of the memory unit and I dunno about you but I wouldn't be happy deleting them. Plus, as Vilge said, if you ever want to use XBL in the future you'll need the hard drive.

Quick question, slightly related, but not too much, i just didn't wanna start my own thread. Basically, i'm off over a mates house very shortly, he has an xbox 360, but not guitar hero 3. I'm bring guitar hero 3 with me, but basically, if i also brought my hard driv and put it straight onto his xbox, would it work without any problems? It just occurred to me it may not work.

http://www.gamestation.co.uk/discountaddal...?discountid=242

Seems like a good price.

You get the elite, 3 good games and an extra wireless pad.

That's effectively what I got; only £10 more and with FIFA08 instead of Crackdown.

Have they come up with any method for safely transferring hard drive saves to another hard drive? I have a 20 gig and I wonder how much longer it's gonna last me.

I'm sure there was something about the Elite that came with a transfer cable.

120GB hard drive (US $179.99, GBP £129.99), available by itself or with the Xbox 360 Elite SKU. As a separate product it comes with a data exchange transfer cable for moving content from a previous hard drive. The drive that is packaged with the Elite comes in black, while the separate drive comes in grey.

(Y)

The transfer cable comes with a 120Gb hard drive if you buy it separately.

The Xbox Live Arcade games with the Arcade model come on a disk, so they won't take up space on the memory unit (except for saves, obviously).

There's some good deals going with the Premium, so I'd go with that over the Arcade (At Gamestation - Premium + extra pad + Crackdown + Forza 2 + Viva Pinata = £259.99).

Although if you're really stumped for cash, Gamestation are offering the Arcade for £149.99 just now, which is an excellent deal. You can always buy the hard drive later on if you want to.

Hope that helps.

The Xbox Live Arcade games with the Arcade model come on a disk, so they won't take up space on the memory unit (except for saves, obviously).

Huh, I never saw mention of a disc in the deals and assumed it'd just be redeemable codes for the games. Then you've have to download them and, well, you only have the unit to put them on.

The transfer cable comes with a 120Gb hard drive if you buy it separately.

There's some good deals going with the Premium, so I'd go with that over the Arcade (At Gamestation - Premium + extra pad + Crackdown + Forza 2 + Viva Pinata = £259.99).

Although if you're really stumped for cash, Gamestation are offering the Arcade for £149.99 just now, which is an excellent deal. You can always buy the hard drive later on if you want to.

Hope that helps.

They were two of the ways I was thinking of getting it, but at the moment I think I'm going to wait till I'm 100% sure about what I want to purchase.

Cheers for the help, all.