YI And His Special Music Corner

YI

*shakes fist at birmingham for stealing marching bands!*

I didn't feel the apollo crowed were like that at all. They cheered for every single song, although there was definatley a difference in cheers between the popular songs and the photoalbum/facts songs. One complaint was the people getting up mid song to go get drinks etc. It was incredibly annoying and it was always the people in the center of the row who wanted to leave, so everyone had to get up.

During one styrofoam song, 2 people arrived mid song, made the entire row get up to access the center seats, realized it wasnt the right row, and left. I was so mad.

A couple also left before the encore. They deserved a smack.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't feel the apollo crowed were like that at all. They cheered for every single song, although there was definatley a difference in cheers between the popular songs and the photoalbum/facts songs. One complaint was the people getting up mid song to go get drinks etc. It was incredibly annoying and it was always the people in the center of the row who wanted to leave, so everyone had to get up.

During one styrofoam song, 2 people arrived mid song, made the entire row get up to access the center seats, realized it wasnt the right row, and left. I was so mad.

The fuck, you were sitting? At a gig? Get the fuck out of my sight.

The fuck, you were sitting? At a gig? Get the fuck out of my sight.

:w00t: i know i know.

It was kind of nice. I don't dance to anything so meh, i had a perfectly good view and didn't have to stand around for hours.

London crowd were awesome. Weird thing, I ended up near some guys who I thought were cunts at first, but befriended them and sang along with them...seemed nice enough to be fair, were just absolutely fucked! They knew their stuff (Not so sharp on early stuff, but still)...after the gig go our seperate ways, don't know their names, but they made the whole experience less weird (me being there by myself and all).

Anyway, hop on the coach to come back today...guess who the fuck's there? These 4 lads. Happen to be from North Shields of all fucking places. Got some numbers, made some new pals. Good shit. :shifty:

Styrofoam were great (THE GIRL!!! OH MY GOD!!! I LOVE HER!!!) but dissapointing. No old stuff, no Couches In Alleys!!! GRRRRRR!!!! Which I can udnerstand, but FUCK OFF!! Plus the fact they basically had like a 20-minute set, with a bit of banter, and an extended ending to "No Deliveries List". They sounded great (could have turned the volume up a bit, maybe) but their set was really short. I'd have killed for a 40-50 minute set.

Death Cab were fucking mint. EXPO 86!!!!! That made my night right there. All the tunes they played off the new album were my favourites (If only "...Ice..." was played :(). The atmosphere was better than the last time I saw them, setlist, I'm not sure which was better. They both had plus songs. EXPO 86!!! COMPANY CALLS EPILOGUE!!! TINY VESSELS!!! TRANS!!! But the last time had Brothers On A Hotel Bed, What Sarah Said, We Laugh Indoors, LIGHTNESS!! So it's hard to say which was better.

'New' arrangements of 'old' songs are cool too (Title & Reg, Soul Meets Body).

I really love the fact "Company Calls" is still basically a regular (95% of setlists) feature in live shows, rocking song, and one of the first DCFC songs I LOVED!

Setlists were;

STYROFOAM

After Sunset

Microscope

Other Side of Town

Final Offer

Bright Red Helmet

No Deliveries List

DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE

Bixby Canyon Bridge

The New Year

Why You'd Want To Live Here

Crooked Teeth

Long Division

Grapevine Fires

Movie Script Ending

Company Calls -> Company Calls Epilogue

Soul Meets Body

I Will Follow You Into The Dark

I Will Posses Your Heart (INSANE live)

Cath

Expo '86 ( :w00t: )

Styrofoam Plates

Sound Of Settling

----------------------------------------------------

Your Bruise

Title & Registration

Your New Twin Sized Bed

Tiny Vessels -> Transatlanticism

I love the girl in Styro...also, at the other shows, how she was doing the harmony in "After Sunset", in the last chorus did she go up high on it? As she did it at London, and it was AMAZING, sent a tingle all through my body, sounding brilliant. She's fit as fuck too and dances like a twat. Speaking of dancing like a twat. 'Styrofoam' himself (can't remember his name) moves like he's got a sex conviction. I'm sure he busted out the 'buckaroo arse slap' at one point. And Drags you expected 'more of a show'? Maybe they toned it up, but in London I thought they were great showmanship wise.

Why does Ben Gibbard look like a labrador?

Saw Mars Volta at Roundhouse on Wednesday with my brother's flatmate and some other random character. Was pilled off my tits, played a load of new stuff (I presume), as I can only remember "Drunkship Of Lanterns", which I think they closed with. Were a bit shit to be honest.

And Drags, you just heard about the FYS tour? It's (just about) all I've talked about since May. :shifty:

Edited by YI

To be fair, I was probably paying more attention to my friend's friend during Styrofoam, but they just didn't really move or anything. Also, I thought Title and REgistration sounded different but I put it down to having not heard it in a while. didn't notice anything new about Soul Meets Body though. Or can't remember now. Expo '86 is indeed all kinds of awesome.

To be fair, I was probably paying more attention to my friend's friend during Styrofoam, but they just didn't really move or anything. Also, I thought Title and REgistration sounded different but I put it down to having not heard it in a while. didn't notice anything new about Soul Meets Body though. Or can't remember now. Expo '86 is indeed all kinds of awesome.

Title & Reg was much more like the 'original' version that was doing the rounds before "Trans" was released. Where it felt 'fuller' had more chords, and was faster etc, with Ben playing guitar too whereas in the album version (or the version they did last tour) he just hit a snaredrum and sang.

"Soul Meets Body", I believe the instrumentation was just a bit different to the last time I heard it. Or the piano might have just been higher in the mix. Sounded a bit different though.

As for the Styrofoam thing. They were really upbeat in London. Dancing about, 'rocking out'...so either they were having an off day when you saw them, or someone had said something/they figured out they were dull, or something, I dunno.

I thought they were great live, as I said, dissapointed at like the 20-minute set, and no old material. But was still great. If I hadn't have known who they were I'd have thought they were great, but as a big fan I was dissapointed. One problem, they need to find something live. They 'rock' but not hard enough, they're 'dancey' but not danceable enough, in a live set. IMO, they either have to go for the 'rock' approach of the 'dance' approach to really carve something out for themselves.

On last.fm loads of people are shitting over the crowd. I was probably just totally engrossed in the girls dancing either side of me and this group of North East lads I tagged on into and sung along with, to realise everyone else was probably shit. :shifty:

The biggest complaint seems, "not a lot of jumping"...I danced a bit, moved a bit, and sang, but Death Cab aint a moshing gig...and if people did, I'd be more inclined to feel "They're taking the piss".

Edited by YI

Nah, no jumping at Death Cab. If you have a copy of the original T&R, could you send please?

And I think Styrofoam need to go fully live, rather than kind of half-live, half piped-in bits.

The problem is, there's too many layers to his songs. He'd have to have a live band of like 5/6. When there's him and only him, producing the music. Having to split the makings from live shows between 5 other musicians must be annoying.

I had no problem with the laptop being used. The Postal Service did it. In fact, most bands like that do it. In fact Styro has more 'live' instrumentation than a lot of electro-pop based bands.

Rise Against have announced release plans for their forthcoming album. The record is titled Appeal To Reason and is due out October 07, 2008. It is the follow-up to The Sufferer & the Witness which was released in 2006.

WHOOOOO!!!!!

Propagandhi, Death by Stereo and STREETLIGHT MANIFESTO are apparently working on new material too. :D

They'll be touring with Alkaline Trio, Thrice and the Gaslight Anthem in the fall, too.

Hell yeah.

Also, I've decided against seeing NIN, and going to see Rodrigo y Gabriela instead.

"Mountains" by Biffy Clyro. EPIC!

I know people bitch about new Biffy, and even I did to a certain extent, with me finding the last offer a little less exciting and 'paint by numbers'. But christ, what a tune. The chorus is unbelievably epic! And they're back to throwing spanners into the works. Like the first part is in a 3 bar phrase, then there's the 3/4 bars during the 2nd part. Brilliantly done.

LISTEN;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGjDsVPV6VI

I know he's taking the piss, but;

We have a world exclusive on Jamiroquai’s new album. “Its working title is "Cillit Bang and the Sea Dragon". The sea dragon is an endangered species of sea horse – a beautiful thing. The juxtaposition of the two things just seems to make sense,” Jay Kay told us at the Cartier Style et Luxe competition at Goodwood Festival of Speed. It should clean up.

PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE...let that be the real name of the album. :shifty:

Oh, and;

bigsdasdfasfsdf.jpg

Apparently out September 30th. THAT'S SO LONG! :(

Also Finch will be putting out a 4-track EP this week.

Edited by YI

FINCH YAY

I need to listen to Finch more actually. I was a bit miffed I couldn't get to see them at GIAN, they're one of those bands I got into around 6th form time, and then promptly forgot about till I found out they broke up.

Also, the Biffy singer looks like Julian whatshisface from The Mighty Boosh, especially with the silly chess-piece costumes.

Edited by Dragsy

Apparently this has been doing the rounds since November last year, it's an early recorded snippet of "I Wanna hear Some Music" (now believed to be "Crashin'") by Jack's Mannequin...OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!

Basically, I heard the chorus to this tune on the absolute-punk interview he did back in January, and have been completely obsessed with it since then...despite only hearing like 30 seconds of it...fucking brilliant;

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N7JZXLGK

This album better fucking leak soon. I'll go nuts having to wait until the end of September for it.

Edited by YI

LIMBO, PANTO by Wild Beasts is a fucking brilliant album. The lyrics are great, if often indecipherable because of ludicrously grandiose vocals, but it's one of my favourite albums of the year so far, I reckon, which is saying quite a lot because it's been a pretty good year, and I've bought more "new" albums this year than I think I have any previous.

Standout track is definitely Woebegone Wanderers, great stuff.

"There'll be reason for treason this season,

The players are slack,

The boss has been sacked

Just win the big match, it's all I can ask."

Edited by Skummy

I love the girl in Styro...also, at the other shows, how she was doing the harmony in "After Sunset", in the last chorus did she go up high on it? As she did it at London, and it was AMAZING

Yes!, she did that in manchester as well. I thought the guitar solos he did were awesome.

On a completley different note, has anyone heard of "Connor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band" ? apparantley its his solo project, which i don't understand because i thought he was the only member in bright eyes? >_<

On a completley different note, has anyone heard of "Connor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band" ? apparantley its his solo project, which i don't understand because i thought he was the only member in bright eyes? >_<

I'm going to see them on August 9th and I'm insanely pumped.

Bright Eyes is Conor Oberst, Mike Mogis, and Nate Walcott. Conor has openly stated that as it being a band rather than it being just him.

To my knowledge the Mystic Valley Band record just leaked too, so I need to check that out. I've heard a live recording from them, but it wasn't great quality. What I heard was great though.

START THE TAKEOVER!!!!

The Four Year Strong revolution has begun;

KERRANG AWARDS SHORTLIST

BEST BRITISH NEWCOMER

DEAD SWANS

WE ARE THE OCEAN

SLAVES TO GRAVITY

ELLIOT MINOR

GO:AUDIO

BEST INTERNATIONAL NEWCOMER

KILL HANNAH

A DAY TO REMEMBER

FOUR YEAR STRONG

BLACK TIDE

ALL TIME LOW

BEST BRITISH BAND

LOSTPROPHETS

BRING ME THE HORIZON

YOU ME AT SIX

BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE

BIFFY CLYRO

BEST INTERNATIONAL BAND

30 SECONDS TO MARS

MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE

MADINA LAKE

COHEED AND CAMBRIA

AVENGED SEVENFOLD

BEST SINGLE

30 SECONDS TO MARS - From Yesterday

BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE - Waking The Demon

SIMPLE PLAN - Your Love Is A Lie

KIDS IN GLASS HOUSES - Give Me What I Want

PENDULUM - Propane Nightmares

BEST VIDEO

BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE - Waking The Demon

30 SECONDS TO MARS - A Beautiful Lie

WEEZER - Pork And Beans

COHEED AND CAMBRIA - Feathers

GALLOWS - Starin' At The Rude Bois

BEST ALBUM

BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE - Scream, Aim, Fire

AVENGED SEVENFOLD - Avenged Sevenfold

IN FLAMES - A Sense Of Purpose

MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE - If

CANCER BATS - Hail Destroyer

BEST LIVE BAND

30 SECONDS TO MARS

LOSTPROPHETS

MACHINE HEAD

THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN

AVENGED SEVENFOLD

It's just a shame the shitfest that is All Time Low will win that catagory. :(

It's quite a depressing set of awards. Lost Prophets best British band? They haven't even released a single this year, and have only done a handful of shows...what the fuck? (still take them over basically everything there) The "Best Album" one is fucking awful too. Dead Swans getting a nomination is fucking epic too, great band.

Edited by YI